BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
nicros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive50i

2017 X5 Integrated/valet key copy?

I run and surf a lot and like to tuck a normal key in my wetsuit or board shorts to get back in the car. I took the key to a locksmith who had to make a custom key which works but just barely. Apparently their equipment doesn't know the key code (what that means I don't know) and they don't even have blanks for this year. Took him almost an hour to get it to work at all with a lot of cutting and grinding.

Is there any way to get just a normal non-fob non-integrated key for these cars though BMW? Just for the door to get in? Or some other option?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Just copy or carry the laser cut key. Then store the rest of the remote in tin foil or something metal inside in car. There is a keyhole to open the door. You need to pop the cover off the handle. There is a slot underneath for the key to help pop it off. Then after you unlock the panic alarm will sound, so you'll need to quickly unwrap your remote and start the car. The panic alarm is quite loud.

Alternatively if you trust technology is to lock and unlock with your phone using the app and again storing the key inside the car wrapped and hidden.

If it's not wrapped up inside, the car will not let you lock the door.