BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Lowering springs

I'm tired of body roll, 50i is waaaaay to powerful for stock suspension, this engine requires F85 suspension or at least DHP. Unfortunately I have basic stock suspension - no air, no adaptive or anything. Every turn, if I'm not careful with applying gas, V8 will thrust this poor x5 forward and stock suspension is not able to cope. It's mostly body roll that kills me. I hate it

So as I understand there are 3 choices (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Eibach springs - 0.6/1.0 inch lower and a bit less body roll, but ride quality is mainly unchanged, close to stock - meaning not bumpy or rough. Probably a good choice, but I'm not sure how much it really helps with body roll? Those who installed Eibach springs - can you tell on scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being softest and 10 hardest (how much body roll is improved)? Let's say stock is about (3 out of 10) - how would you rate Eibach?

2. H&R - I've heard bad reviews, mainly due to noticeably rougher ride - borderline to bumpy even. Some owners changed from H&R to Eibach for that reason. Not entirely sure if it's true tho. However, maybe body roll will be even better controlled with H&R no?

3. AC Schnitzer lowering springs - not sure where they stand compared to Eibach and H&R - somewhere in between in terms of ride? Maybe it's a better choice? Anyone can comment?

Finally I'm afraid that lowering with 20 inch wheels will make my x5 look like Q7 minvan no? I've heard you need 21 or 22 for lowering to look good or maybe spacers can mitigate that?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

ACS and Eibach is about the same ride quality and drop.
Lowering on 20" is fine, especially on Eibach or ACS.
Wheel spacers do help a lot on the looks though.

Bodyroll will be better on the H&R since it is lower. The ride quality as you mentioned, it is borderline.

Eibach will help the bodyroll, but won't be as much as the H&R or KW V3 Coilover.

If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, I suggest you to invest on the KW V3 Coilover. You won't regret the investment.
It is, in my opinion, that will save you from regretting not getting the X5 without DHP.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      01-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Give either 1000 miles to settle in also, then you will prob need another alignment/balance. At least I did and now all is good with Eibach springs on a stock x5d from RG.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      01-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Install coil over suspension. Otherwise you're not doing anything worth your time or money and your SAV will be quickly converted into a very expensive oversized pogostick when you drive on the highway since you do not have any suspension options and are on a standard suspension...
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50