01-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

f15 X5 chasis + suspension VS f10 5 series

Hi all!

Was wondering if the X5 suspension is beefed up compared to a normal 5 series. Is it considered to be more heavy duty and durable compared to a 5 series? Should I expect it to hold up better, over a longer period of time, handling more rugged tasks?

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Anyone? Come on meow.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Hi all!

Was wondering if the X5 suspension is beefed up compared to a normal 5 series. Is it considered to be more heavy duty and durable compared to a 5 series? Should I expect it to hold up better, over a longer period of time, handling more rugged tasks?

What do you think?
Interesting question. Yea, one would think so.. but how to know for sure!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Why are you comparing X5 suspension to 5-series? Obviously it's more "heavy duty" compared to 5-series, it's a completely different car - weight, towing, off-road capabilities all different. But because many suspension elements of modern BMWs are made of aluminum for performance benefits they are not as "heavy duty" as in some other SUVs on the market (Land Cruiser for example). I remember reading Russian X5 forums complaining about suspension issue which is understandable considering crappy roads in some parts of Russia.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      01-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I can add to Sedoy, again reading from Russian forums, that first generation E53 was (and still is) best handling x5, but it had delicate suspension. E70 had beefed up suspension compared to E53 which was a god send for Russia with its bad roads. F15 is very close to E70 - not much is changed suspension wise - so it's safe to say it should hold well. In Russia E70 and F15 have no major issues besides usual tie rods and some other maintenance things (for suspension). If it performs descent in Russia, then you have nothing to worry here in US/Canada (tho some roads in NYC are as bad as in Russia lol)

5 series are different. E60 (E70 little brother) had soft suspension that requires some premature maintenance in Russia, especially when driven fast on bad roads. However, my sister has E60 here in US and so far she hasn't even touched anything suspension wise - so good roads are making difference for E60. F10 generation of 5 series - has no issues in US/Canada, and in Russia it performs better than E60 in terms of suspension durability. So 5 series are different than x5 - their suspension changes differ compared to x5 - can't compare directly

It's definitely beefier than 5 series, but x5 weighs more too - roughly 700lbs more. Bottom line is this: if you drive carefully, even on bad roads - it will hold well, there's no specific weakness in F15 suspension (like it was in E53), suspension is balanced well. However if you go too fast on bad roads - it will not hold well, as it has aluminum parts and is more complex (multi-links) than some other simpler SUVs that have a simple McPherson etc.
So let's say you want to tow a trailer - I don't see a problem. If you want to load it up with max load - I don't see a problem. However, if you want to drive everyday on dirty gravel road for 50 miles one way to work and back - you better buy some F150 or something similar

Last edited by DuSh; 01-28-2018 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
Sedoy680.00