BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The 3D Surround on the top level Meridian is bonkers it was the first true 3D surround system in any vehicle. If I remember correctly it is 29 speakers 1900w or something to that effect... While Watts alone are not a measure of system quality or ability it is a decent reference point on paper.
Appreciate 1
1230vani651.00
      03-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #24
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

And to think I just bought a JBL pod the size of a coke can streamed through my iPhone that I thought sounded good in the shower..,,,,.i must have Neanderthal hearing .....lol....
Appreciate 3
aparedes302.00
iconoclast7265.50
1230vani651.00
      03-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #25
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

everything sounds good in the shower... bathroom acoustics are the best in the house.
Appreciate 2
onfireX53617.50
1230vani651.00
      03-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #26
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
There are several levels of the meridiam, B&O is superior IMO to meridiam , but i have not heard the top end version of meridiam
That is quite surprising considering they are not even remotely in the same league when it comes to their offerings outside of the car environment.
Appreciate 1
1230vani651.00
      03-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #27
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Over in the land of MB... a person who had the Burmester package in their W205 C-Class took it apart to upgrade it because it did not sound very good. What he found was he paid for very expensive grills over Harmon Kardon speakers. While H/K is nothing to laugh about he was annoyed that MB used H/K products on the C-Class but Burmester licensed it's name and tuned the H/K system to their preferences and specs to get the most out of that system. I suspect that may be the case on C-Class because installing high end audio equipment may make it an option that not many will want in that model because of the cost increase on the sticker. I am curious if any other vehicles in the MB line have the same situation going on behind the scenes or any other automakers chose to do this too.
Appreciate 1
1230vani651.00
      03-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #28
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Over in the land of MB... a person who had the Burmester package in their W205 C-Class took it apart to upgrade it because it did not sound very good. What he found was he paid for very expensive grills over Harmon Kardon speakers. While H/K is nothing to laugh about he was annoyed that MB used H/K products on the C-Class but Burmester licensed it's name and tuned the H/K system to their preferences and specs to get the most out of that system. I suspect that may be the case on C-Class because installing high end audio equipment may make it an option that not many will want in that model because of the cost increase on the sticker. I am curious if any other vehicles in the MB line have the same situation going on behind the scenes or any other automakers chose to do this too.
Wow what a story
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #29
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
There are several levels of the meridiam, B&O is superior IMO to meridiam , but i have not heard the top end version of meridiam
I had the top end Meridian in my last Jaguar, and I would say IMO that the HK system is way better in clarity and power. Just need to get the best balance on the equalizer to appreciate the sound. My wife has the Burmester stereo in her MB and that is equivalent to the B&O.
iconoclast7265.50
1230vani651.00
      03-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #30
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
I had the top end Meridian in my last Jaguar, and I would say IMO that the HK system is way better in clarity and power. Just need to get the best balance on the equalizer to appreciate the sound. My wife has the Burmester stereo in her MB and that is equivalent to the B&O.
Wow. Just goes to show you how our perceptions of audio quality are so subjective.

In my last DD ('14 Jag XFR-S) I had the top end, 825W Meridian system and I found it the second best OEM system I've ever owned (second to the Alpine system in my previous Astons). I would describe the H-K in my current X5M as vastly inferior to the system in the Jag!
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      03-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #31
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
As a stop-gap, I picked up four Toyo GSi-5 winter tires in 275/315 for $500 (2016 DOT). They're aggressive and loud, but they're an incredible bargain. They're performed more than admirably. If anyone is looking for an inexpensive winter tire that will mount to the OE 20", give these a look.
Thanks for the tip! When you say you had OEM before, were they Pirellis? I'm curious how you would rate the Toyos compared to the Pirellis for:

- ride comfort
- snow traction
- ice traction
- handling
- noise

TIA.

BTW, congrats on the new acquisition. That JLR V8 is a peach of an engine. I got my X5M as a DD this past fall, after two Jags (XFR and XFR-S); a shame that that Jag no longer puts that engine in any of their sedans.
Would rate the GSi-5s as having better snow/ice/slush performance with marginally worse dry pavement handling and slightly noisier than the Pirellis. Would be similar to comparing the Pirellis to a Blizzak.

I never loved the Pirellis - already seemed like too much of a comprise toward dry handling.

The good news is that both the Nokian WGR4 and R3 will come in X5M sizes this fall. Sort of solves the rubber issue forever for this crowd.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #32
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Sound systems are so subjective and influenced by dozens of factors... Room acoustics (or car in this case), road noise, quality of drivers, amp, personal preference, and most importantly the source.

Yeah, the source. How many people listen to lossless music off their phone vice the compressed stuff off Spotify, Apple Music, etc? Try it... Rip a CD in FLAC, put it on your phone (I used Onkyo's HF Player), plug in via USB (not Bluetooth since Bluetooth compresses for transmission), and see what happens. I bet you thinks are wayyyy clearer, defined, and dynamic. I've listened to DSD files this way too and it's pretty remarkable how different things sound.

B&O is the best I've heard in any car thus far. I'm sure the new B&W will be better on the 7-series. Is it as nice as my Aerial Acoustics, ARC REF 5SE in my house? No freakin' way. But for a car when dealing with road noise and a badass exhaust note from an Eisenmann Race exhaust, I'm perfectly happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #33
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Sound systems are so subjective and influenced by dozens of factors... Room acoustics (or car in this case), road noise, quality of drivers, amp, personal preference, and most importantly the source.

Yeah, the source. How many people listen to lossless music off their phone vice the compressed stuff off Spotify, Apple Music, etc? Try it... Rip a CD in FLAC, put it on your phone (I used Onkyo's HF Player), plug in via USB (not Bluetooth since Bluetooth compresses for transmission), and see what happens. I bet you thinks are wayyyy clearer, defined, and dynamic. I've listened to DSD files this way too and it's pretty remarkable how different things sound.

B&O is the best I've heard in any car thus far. I'm sure the new B&W will be better on the 7-series. Is it as nice as my Aerial Acoustics, ARC REF 5SE in my house? No freakin' way. But for a car when dealing with road noise and a badass exhaust note from an Eisenmann Race exhaust, I'm perfectly happy.
Agree and I'd say that the RR cabin is better insulated from road/wind noise (standard, 6mm double-pane insulated glass and more extensive acoustic insulation). I imagine if you installed any BMW system (HK or B&O) in the RR, it would 'sound' better.

FWIW - I think the top-line meridian system sounded better than the B&O, but we're splitting hairs at that level.

About a month/2k miles in and I am happy with my decision - I occasionally miss the X5M's performance and ICE (this is what I miss most), but greatly appreciate the step-up in refinement/comfort provided by the RR. Have been spending a bunch of time in VT (>70" in March) and the novelty of a height adjustable RR on Hakka R2s has been a hoot.
Appreciate 3
pachieh243.50
iconoclast7265.50
Chadmatic660.50