BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Merino Leather

Anyone have experience with the merino leather option. It seems soft and comfortable but I wonder about maintenance and durability.

Thanks. Duke
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Anyone have experience with the merino leather option. It seems soft and comfortable but I wonder about maintenance and durability.

Thanks. Duke
From reviews I read its the best bmw leather out there. Soft and luxurious still wears better than the nappa leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

I have the smoke white Merino leather and as mentioned really soft leather.
I'm about a year old with 12500miles wear and still looks good as new.
I did however have leather protection applied when I first had the car detailed so would recommend this to prolong its life.
Every month I apply leather cleaner to keep it at its best which has also helped.
This is the first time I have ever had Merino leather in a car and would not hesitate specifying again in future or recommending it to future buyers.
It does feel luxurious and adds to the quality interior of the car
I also went for the Merino leather door cards and dash board which finishes off the interior - photo attached.
Attached Images

03-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
I did however have leather protection applied when I first had the car detailed so would recommend this to prolong its life.
Every month I apply leather cleaner to keep it at its best which has also helped.
This is the first time I have ever had Merino leather in a car and would not hesitate specifying again in future or recommending it to future buyers.
I also went for the Merino leather door cards and dash board which finishes off the interior - photo attached.

Wow, your interior looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Thank you - not everyone's cup of tea especially those with young families!
I'm in construction and regularly on site, so have to be careful not to bring the dirt into the car
      03-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Wow....I don't typically like white interior, but this is one hell of an interior my friend!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you - not everyone's cup of tea especially those with young families!
I'm in construction and regularly on site, so have to be careful not to bring the dirt into the car
I feel you, its a tough job especially with this interior. My car is beige and it takes work to keep clean.

Hows the M-performance mats with dirt? Are they more like regular floor mats or more like all- weather mats. I know they are made from different material.. ?!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I feel you, its a tough job especially with this interior. My car is beige and it takes work to keep clean.

Hows the M-performance mats with dirt? Are they more like regular floor mats or more like all- weather mats. I know they are made from different material.. ?!
I have the carpet mats the car came with which I use for the summer and I bought the all weather mats for winter use. Both have held up well with mud, salt and loose debris easily vacuum off and/or washed off on the all weather mats.
      03-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have the carpet mats the car came with which I use for the summer and I bought the all weather mats for winter use. Both have held up well with mud, salt and loose debris easily vacuum off and/or washed off on the all weather mats.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Am talking about M-Performance ones in your picture above, they are kinda grey color? I have the all-weather ones and they are basically plastic. They work well but don't feel as luxurious are carpet. I thought maybe the M-performance will work best!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #10
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Am talking about M-Performance ones in your picture above, they are kinda grey color? I have the all-weather ones and they are basically plastic. They work well but don't feel as luxurious are carpet. I thought maybe the M-performance will work best!
Slightly off topic I know
Yes I'm referring to the OEM M-Performance all weather mats that I use in the winter and not the rubber mats. They are not cheap but are hard wearing in all conditions. When wiped they leave no marks or dirt as new!
      03-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
OFFWHITEX5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: WHITE BMW X5 35i AWD M-SPORT

Quote:
Amazing Interior. Never saw white only Ivory. Very nice
      03-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for your reply. Incredible interior. I'm looking at the taupe merino, mainly because it's a bit darker.

What was used for leather protections?

Thanks. Duke
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
RubyRube
Rep
Drives: '15 F16 X6 5.0

White with gray piping and stitching and matching dash & doors. Can't get much better than that, fer sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Looks so luxurious.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
F15 X5 Silversurfer
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 3.0D MSport

I also have 2015 3.0D M Sport, Carbon Black with Smoke White Merino Comfort seats and matching door/side panels, same as X5M50D.
Have had the car since June 2017 and it has covered 25K now. We don't have young children but do have grandchildren , however have had absolutely no issues with the colour but my wife does wear blue denim jeans from time to time and leaves some light blue marking on the edges, but not stains. I too had treatment done as part of the deal and the cream supplied with the maintenance pack is excellent at removing the marking. Have only had to wipe off couple of times since we purchased the car and only takes a few minutes.
The merino leather and Comfort seats are superb, we drive 300 miles to family in Dorset several times a year and arrive as fresh as when we started, usually completing the journey in one straight drive, superb car, consider it the best we have had ;-)).
Appreciate 0