BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 Msport

New here: Looking for a quick education on wheels

Hi all,

I'm new here and have been perusing the site, as it looks to be a wealth of information regarding all things BMW X5. I have been an Audi guy for a while but have recently test driven a X5 and am strongly considering switching things up.

I have been looking at a few '14 X5's for sale locally and have quickly decided that I like the aggressive look of the bigger tires and wheels on the X5.

I've done a few searches on this site and a lot of reading but can't seem to find the answers to a number of questions:

If I buy a '14 X5 with standard OEM 19's on it, is it as easy as removing them and then replacing them with the bigger tires and wheels?

I've read multiple threads where folks talk about "staggered" vs squared. What is "staggered"? Is there a functional reason for it?

I've also read some threads where folks talk about using spacers. Why would this be necessary?

Do all the 20 inch setups have bigger tires and wheels on the back vs front? Is there a functional reason for this?

Are there any other things I need to know when considering buying a X5 with 19 inch wheels, with the intention of switching it over to a 20 inch package?

I really have done my due diligence and maybe I'm a little light between the ears but I haven't been able to answer the above questions by utilizing the search function. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Wider tires in rear, because they are usually putting the majority of the power to the ground and helping car go through a turn. Is it necessary on a 35i, not likely, probably mostly for looks. Same 20" wheels and tires come on 6cyl and 8cyl. So what does that tell you? If you order the x5 with the 20" wheels, you will get raised top speed limiter to around 147mph. Otherwise the 19" wheels top speed is limited to, I'm not sure, but I think around 130 mph.

Staggered is two different sizes front and rear. 275/40-20 front -- 315/35-20 rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1966 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been perusing the site, as it looks to be a wealth of information regarding all things BMW X5. I have been an Audi guy for a while but have recently test driven a X5 and am strongly considering switching things up.

I have been looking at a few '14 X5's for sale locally and have quickly decided that I like the aggressive look of the bigger tires and wheels on the X5.

I've done a few searches on this site and a lot of reading but can't seem to find the answers to a number of questions:

If I buy a '14 X5 with standard OEM 19's on it, is it as easy as removing them and then replacing them with the bigger tires and wheels?
Yup, it's just that easy.

Quote:
I've read multiple threads where folks talk about "staggered" vs squared. What is "staggered"? Is there a functional reason for it?

Do all the 20 inch setups have bigger tires and wheels on the back vs front? Is there a functional reason for this?
Staggered on our cars means the rear is wider than the front. All 20" setups on the X5 are staggered, with the front rims being 10" wide and the rears at 11". As crackerjack15 said above, the reason is mostly performance. Wider drive wheels (rear) help put down the power. A staggered setup will always have different size tires as well, and those sizes are also listed above.

Quote:
I've also read some threads where folks talk about using spacers. Why would this be necessary?
Spacers are not needed. They are "disks" that mount between the brake rotor and the rim to push the wheels out a bit further. A few members do this because they like the way it looks with the rims/tires pushed out a bit further. It will provide a small handling benefit since you are widening the footprint, but again, it is not needed and most of us do not do it. One additional consideration is that the more you push/space the wheels out, the more road debris, nicks and scratches you are going to get on the side of the vehicle.

Quote:
Are there any other things I need to know when considering buying a X5 with 19 inch wheels, with the intention of switching it over to a 20 inch package?
The only other thing I can think of is the speed limiter difference mentioned above. Other than that, there is really no difference in the vehicle.

Now, here's a wrinkle for you: If I had it to do all over again (and my vehicle wasn't equipped with the 20" rims from the factory) I would still use the 19" rims as a winter setup with dedicated winter tires, but I would buy 21" or 22" rims for the summer. They look even better than the 20" and really fill the wheel well nicely.
      08-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

A couple caveats:

If you get M-sport trim, your x5 will have flared wheel archs needed for the wider tires regardless of original wheel size. X-line, Luxury or no-line trims do not have flared arches with 19" or smaller wheels.

Increased top speed limiter is only available on M-sport line with 20" wheel package from factory. Not available at all on other trims, regardless of wheel size.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
If you get M-sport trim, your x5 will have flared wheel archs needed for the wider tires regardless of original wheel size. X-line, Luxury or no-line trims do not have flared arches with 19" or smaller wheels.
While this is true and great information for the OP, the flared wheel arches are not required in order to install larger rims. The rims still fit and function perfectly, but they may not be visually "balanced".
      08-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 Msport

Thank you all for the information. I am now much better equipped to move forward with my plans. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I agree with above. Keep your 19 inch rims as a dedicated winter setup and go for 21 or 22 for summer - they look better on x5. I went with 20 inches and I kinda regret it now. Although ride is comfier and I saved some weight overall and tires cost less - if I could do it again - I would go for 22 inch rims
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1966 View Post
Thank you all for the information. I am now much better equipped to move forward with my plans. Cheers.
One more thing to keep in mind: whatever set you choose, make sure they're the same front and rear offsets (or as close to) the factory equivalents, if you buy aftermarket wheels. Too much or too little will mess with your fitment and in some cases, prevent you from mounting the wheels themselves because they're too close to the brakes.

When I was shopping for mine, I selected an OEM 20" set, determined the exact offsets and tire sizes and then went and purchased an aftermarket set that matched the OEM set. No fitment issues, guaranteed!

Good luck! And welcome!
Appreciate 0