BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #23
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdAge View Post
I have noticed this since when I got my X5 35d. Depending on the driving (rush hour bumper to bumper traffic vs cruising at 70+mph on a freeway) the miles on the dashboard changes. Taking your example, when you say it went from 407 to 394 in just 5 miles, I have seen this happen sometimes even when I drive about 2 miles. In the same example, I've also seen that if I drive cruising on a freeway for about 50 miles the remaining miles goes from 407 to 405 (50 miles of driving and just 2 miles down on the display), as you are getting more fuel economy driving on a freeway. BMW's algorithm continues calculates the total miles left based on how you recently drove. I used to own Lexus for more than a decade and it was a different algorithm there.

Having said that I have my own issues. With 70/30 rush hour/freeway driving, I've seen not more than 460 miles on a tank, and many times it is between 400 to 440. So not more than 18-21mpg on a diesel. The 21mpg is when I drove mostly in Eco Pro mode, if I switch to Comfort it never touches 20mpg even with 60/40 (rush hour/freeway) driving. I do have the Racechip Ultimate added though, tuned at S2=0, S1=3, sometimes I do use a heavy foot and I think that is costing around 2-3mpg. So even without the Racechip I'm maybe getting 21mpg (mix of rush hour and freeway driving)
I got well over 500 miles per tank when I had a 35d. We drove it to Florida once. Filled it up the night before, drove all the way there (3 adults and 2 kids plus luggage), and then drove around for 3 days before filling up again. I think it was something like 580 miles total.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #24
hdAge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post
I got well over 500 miles per tank when I had a 35d. We drove it to Florida once. Filled it up the night before, drove all the way there (3 adults and 2 kids plus luggage), and then drove around for 3 days before filling up again. I think it was something like 580 miles total.
The only time I got close to 500 miles was when I drove to San Diego, about 270 miles on freeway, now I recall I think I got close to 490-497 miles on the tank.