01-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

BMW vs Mercedes

Hello all,

Been a long Time BMW owner over the years for different models. My wife is more of a Mercedes girl.
So, I hate to start driving the car aggressively until it reaches the appropriate engine temp.

BMWs take loooong time to warm up while driving ( almost 10 mins or 6 to 7 Miles), on the other hand Mercedes will get to that point within couple mins / 2 Miles at the most ( for many models).

Has any one noticed this? Does it bother you?
Why is there such a noticeable difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Hello all,

Been a long Time BMW owner over the years for different models. My wife is more of a Mercedes girl.
So, I hate to start driving the car aggressively until it reaches the appropriate engine temp.

BMWs take loooong time to warm up while driving ( almost 10 mins or 6 to 7 Miles), on the other hand Mercedes will get to that point within couple mins / 2 Miles at the most ( for many models).

Has any one noticed this? Does it bother you?
Why is there such a noticeable difference?
It depends on the model I think, but in general Mercedes have coolant temperature while we have oil temperature gauge (notice small oil can pic near oil temp gauge on x5) - hence difference in time and temperatures. Oil temp gauge is the real deal #bmwthuglife #bmwmotorsport #bmwisalwaystheanswer #bmwisbetterthanmercedes #mercedessucks

So oil gets you a more useful info - more direct - that's what is important really to know temperature of as this is the ultimate liquid that lubricates engine. Coolant on the other hand is a more general gauge - it's indirect so to speak as if something will be wrong with engine - first oil temp will rise and only then coolant temp - you'll know that something is wrong with engine when it will be too late, unlike with oil temp - you get info faster and directly - it's like coolant gauge is a noob version of oil temp gauge. Also, there were some instances when coolant was leaking or low and your coolant temp will show you that temp is ok, while in reality you'll blow up your engine. That's why oil temp is essential - especially in high-performance vehicles (I mean yeah, it's useful to know coolant too to see when to turn your heater on lol, BUT BMW has electric fan by default I think and we get warm air faster - so we beat Mercedes in that too lol).

In sum: BMW = Pro, while Mercedes = amateurs

Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 01-23-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003897.00
MN2///M521.00
      01-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

You nailed it... That is the major difference. On MB models you have to go to a different menu to see the oil temp. The gauge is coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
In sum: BMW = Pro, while Mercedes = amateurs
The way it used to be was MB was was the luxury brand, BMW was the driver's/enthusiast/sport brand and Audi was in the middle... I have no idea where any of these brands land these days.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
Chadmatic660.50
      01-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Currently we have a '14 E350 Sport Sedan, '15 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro, and a '14 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport...in addition to the family-of-7-hauling '16 Escalade ESV and some others not worth listing.

I'll say, only w/ apples to apples comparisons (not SUV vs car):

You're right, seems like BMW warms up slower. I get the oil temp gauge vs. coolant temp gauge, and agree I prefer to know oil temps...but my heater tells me MB warms up faster too.
MB wins on reverse camera resolution
BMW wins on satnav screen/infotainment/HUD
MB wins on ride quality and road noise
BMW wins on comfort of seats
MB wins on 6 cylinder engine notes/sounds/growls
BMW wins for fat ass meat hook rear tires (both MB and BMW are staggered, Audi is set up square)
MB wins on dealership & service center experiences (I know, relative and subjective)
BMW wins on headlamp aesthetics
Both have awesome tail lamps
BMW hands-down wins on ambient lighting (MB only has 3 colors and only the dash lines, nothing else changes)
BMW wins on CODING CODING CODING!
BMW wins because I have a black headliner...my MB is black interior w/ not black headliner (WTF)
Both win because we bought both w/ under 45K miles, dirt cheap compared to window sticker (less than 50%), and still had some factory warranty to figure out any problems.

But all in all, I prefer the MB brand to the BMW brand. I'd own more MB if my family would let me...but they're strict in requiring equal opportunity motoring and a diverse driving experience.

Oh yeah, and our Audi wins on absolutely nothing. Compare the Audi's satnav/infotainment and you'll feel like you're in a time warp to the past.
      01-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
You nailed it... That is the major difference. On MB models you have to go to a different menu to see the oil temp. The gauge is coolant.

The way it used to be was MB was was the luxury brand, BMW was the driver's/enthusiast/sport brand and Audi was in the middle... I have no idea where any of these brands land these days.
Yep, it's sad, but I think only M models are now still hanging in there among the best, while non M models went too soft for mass market and profit. On the positive note - BMW still got it and profit wise they beat every other premium car maker Eventually all this profit and quantity will transform into quality and yield some really good models (I hope)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
Currently we have a '14 E350 Sport Sedan, '15 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro, and a '14 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport...in addition to the family-of-7-hauling '16 Escalade ESV and some others not worth listing.

I'll say, only w/ apples to apples comparisons (not SUV vs car):

You're right, seems like BMW warms up slower. I get the oil temp gauge vs. coolant temp gauge, and agree I prefer to know oil temps...but my heater tells me MB warms up faster too.
MB wins on reverse camera resolution
BMW wins on satnav screen/infotainment/HUD
MB wins on ride quality and road noise
BMW wins on comfort of seats
MB wins on 6 cylinder engine notes/sounds/growls
BMW wins for fat ass meat hook rear tires (both MB and BMW are staggered, Audi is set up square)
MB wins on dealership & service center experiences (I know, relative and subjective)
BMW wins on headlamp aesthetics
Both have awesome tail lamps
BMW hands-down wins on ambient lighting (MB only has 3 colors and only the dash lines, nothing else changes)
BMW wins on CODING CODING CODING!
BMW wins because I have a black headliner...my MB is black interior w/ not black headliner (WTF)
Both win because we bought both w/ under 45K miles, dirt cheap compared to window sticker (less than 50%), and still had some factory warranty to figure out any problems.

Oh yeah, and our Audi wins on absolutely nothing. Compare the Audi's satnav/infotainment and you'll feel like you're in a time warp to the past.
Agree. Well, I was biased of course I love my BMW
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
in all fairness your audi despite being a 2015 is built on a platform that started in 2008 and only updated over the years. compare a new a4 satnav and virtual cockpit vs any of your other vehicles. the b8.5 navigation is quantum leaps ahead of '14 mercedes... do you not have google earth enabled on it? the 2007 Q7 i had was equipped with better tech than the w211-w212 e-class. the dash mounted pdc system in the mb is what 2004 touareg was using without the headliner display. that is just a very poor system in general let alone in current time.

previous gen:

Appreciate 2
deutsch1003897.00
Chadmatic660.50
      01-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Newer Audi's nav sh!ts on other Germans.

I test drove a GLE coupe before getting my F16 and the exhaust note sh!ts on the X5/6.

Also it's a shame damn near every MB gets optional air suspension. I think the G11 is the only BMW right now that gets 4 corner air suspension.

But I love my bimmer.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
in all fairness your audi despite being a 2015 is built on a platform that started in 2008 and only updated over the years. compare a new a4 satnav and virtual cockpit vs any of your other vehicles.

In all fairness, no shit! We're well aware tech evolves, and I think everyone knew I was comparing some of my current European vehicles, brand to brand, with very similar model years. My apologies if it wasn't clear. Notice I didn't include things like our piece of crap '16 Escalade's Cue system? I wasn't comparing today's vehicles vs. each other, nor was I comparing vehicles I don't currently own.

We spend enough time in so many cars, and at so many dealerships, including family-owned dealerships, that there's hardly a production vehicle I haven't spent some time in. I can find things I love and hate about most of them but our ownership experience with most of them have been pretty good. Even our RR Supercharged was great, contrary to a lot of people having problems. Now that satnav sucked!

But still not much of an Audi fan. In fact, my favorite interior right now is the LX 570. Now that's class.
      01-24-2018, 03:24 AM   #10
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Speaking about water temp BMW is probally one of the fastest cars that heats up, especially if you have the N55 I6 engine with the electric water pump, I remembered on my 740Li I usually can get warm air out of the vents in 2-3 mins, My X5 35d takes 7-10 mins of driving to get any heat, our Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel takes a whopping 15-20 mins of driving to produce any heat!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In all fairness, no shit! We're well aware tech evolves, and I think everyone knew I was comparing some of my current European vehicles, brand to brand, with very similar model years.
as did i... i even pointed out older VAG vehicles having the same or better tech than the mb. the tech in your audi is far more comprehensive, still relevant and current while the mb tech is a relic from another era. majority of the features rarely ever work and their POI/TMC system is pure rubbish. the gui and layout is something that was quickly put together an after-thought, the graphics are horrendous along with the processing speed, the pdc is laughable, only on the w213 w464 and the w222 has mb put out a product that has tech and features that match the era it is being sold in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

What year is your 35d? I have a 2017 35d and my last diesel was a 2011 E70 35d...and one of the best things about both cars is the almost instant heat from the vents (when heat is needed). I mean with my climate control set to AUTO 70F....I am barely off my street, and my 35d is already warming the cabin. E70 and F15 diesels have an aux. heater! They do not need to wait for the engine to warm, since diesels take usually MUCH longer than petrol models. You might need to get your F15 in for Service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Speaking about water temp BMW is probally one of the fastest cars that heats up, especially if you have the N55 I6 engine with the electric water pump, I remembered on my 740Li I usually can get warm air out of the vents in 2-3 mins, My X5 35d takes 7-10 mins of driving to get any heat, our Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel takes a whopping 15-20 mins of driving to produce any heat!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
What year is your 35d? I have a 2017 35d and my last diesel was a 2011 E70 35d...and one of the best things about both cars is the almost instant heat from the vents (when heat is needed). I mean with my climate control set to AUTO 70F....I am barely off my street, and my 35d is already warming the cabin. E70 and F15 diesels have an aux. heater! They do not need to wait for the engine to warm, since diesels take usually MUCH longer than petrol models. You might need to get your F15 in for Service!!
I had a E70 2011 X5 35d and now 2014 X5 35d, I i recall the E70 had heating elements in the vents. I don't think my F15 has any heater issue, I already changed the coolant and bled all the air out, besides heated seats are a life savers.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
My 50i takes forever to warm up. Can drive all the way to my destination at times with no heat. Oh well. My AMG took about the same length. That iron block absorbs a lot of heat.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #15
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Funny that I just saw this comment and I had thought my temp gauge was broken and I was going to take it into BMW to check it out.

Last week it was 0 here for a few days in a row. Yet each morning the gauge on my 7 min. drive to work would not move yet it started blowing luke warm air in a mile or 2 (how can that be I said to myself?). Yet on the highway 5 minutes later the air was hot and the gauge was still not moving.

I figured the gauge was quirky as it finally started to move, but just a little by the time I got to my office.

Now I see from this thread it's monitoring the oil gauge not the coolant temp

Also, after a year and after reading this thread . . . now I notice the gauge is a picture of an oil can with a thermometer sticking out of it!

Last edited by expidia; 01-30-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      01-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

I wonder why my '17 35d provides near instant heat, and your '14 does not?! We should ask some more F15 35d owners about this. If the majority say heat is very quick, then you can print out the replies and take your X5 in for Service!

I did this years ago with my 2010 750i. A lot of us were getting a weird whining noise, but my dealer told me no problem and nothing in the BMW data base. I printed out every Member response from this BMW forum, who was experiencing the same issue. Know what...BMW "found" the problem and it ended up being a big oil pump recall, that is still involved in a class action lawsuit! Good luck with the heat! And I agree, my heated seats and even more....the heated steering wheel is a lifesaver. The last few days, we have been in the 30's, and that is cold for Calif!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
I had a E70 2011 X5 35d and now 2014 X5 35d, I i recall the E70 had heating elements in the vents. I don't think my F15 has any heater issue, I already changed the coolant and bled all the air out, besides heated seats are a life savers.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #17
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

Hey again! I did a little experiment this morning. I drove my son to his bus stop at 7:10am. My '17 35d had not been driven, nor started since yesterday afternoon. Outside temp is currently 37F, engine obviously totally cold.

Within 1/4 of a mile, the heat in the cabin was already blowing very warm (climate is at 70F Auto).

Temp. gauge on the instrument cluster, went from all the way to the left (cold) to dead center (210F) within 1.5 miles.

Considering my car is a diesel, this is beyond impressive. I am shocked that the 35i, 50i and even some of your 35d(s) take so long to heat. The A/C might suck in my F15, but man...the heater is near instant!

Last edited by deutsch100; 01-27-2018 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
kj71109188.50
      01-27-2018, 04:17 AM   #18
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Hey again! I did a little experiment this morning. I drove my son to his bus stop at 7:10am. My '17 35d had not been driven, nor started since yesterday afternoon. Outside temp is currently 37F, engine obviously totally cold.

Within 1/4 of a mile, the heat in the cabin was already blowing very warm (climate is at 70F Auto).

Temp. gauge on the instrument cluster, went from all the way to the left (cold) to dead center (210F) with 1.5 miles.

Considering my car is a diesel, this is beyond impressive. I am shocked that the 35i, 50i and even some of your 35d(s) take so long to heat. The A/C might suck in my F15, but man...the heater is near instant!
I think all BMW diesel cars have an electric heater in the fan - if I'm not mistaken it's 1kW power - so it starts to blow heat very quick - it's a life saver during cold morning starts.
What I'm wondering is if we can find out if 35i/50i has such option too
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      01-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #19
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

The only thing I dont like for my X5 is the blind spot detection, it starts working until 30mph, wtf!!
My friends gle starts working like 10mph. It's really convenience during traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #20
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
The only thing I dont like for my X5 is the blind spot detection, it starts working until 30mph, wtf!!
My friends gle starts working like 10mph. It's really convenience during traffic.
I think you can get that coded
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Yes you can. And also the heater is only for the diesel as diesels take forever to heat up on their own hence the need for the aux heater. This aids in cold morning starts as you lack the necessary spark plugs.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
deutsch1003897.00
      01-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #22
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Thanks. Which code software do you use? I cant find this option under Bimmercode....
Appreciate 0