BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
msand12
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i

F15 X5 35i vs The Rest - First SUV

Hi All -

First off, thanks to everyone for posting such great information on the X5. I've learned A TON.

My wife and I are expecting our first in the next 5 weeks and are looking into SUVs. We have test driven a '15 X5 35i, '15 Highlander, and '18 VW Atlas. Will also be looking into a '16 Mazda CX-9, '16 Honda Pilot, and MDX.

I've only ever owned German cars and love the driving dynamics and overall quality. We want to keep this SUV for the long haul - at least 8 years.

I love the X5. It's the perfect combination of performance and comfort. It has the third row (which we want), even if small, but that won't even come into play for another 5 years at least.

My only hesitation at this point is the long term reliability. The available used X5s in my area all have around 30K, with a couple CPOs having warranties through Spring 2020. Two years doesn't quite give me peace of mind and not sure if an extended warranty purchase (up to at least 100K) is the way to go.

Are there any high-mileage/out of warranty owners out there that can chime in? I've done a ton of research and have seen reviews.

I will admit that I'm stuck between making an emotional decision (X5) vs practical (Highlander). However if I'm keeping this car for a long time, I want something I will love every time I'm in it.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Appreciate 0