BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Incorrect grill color - Resolved

Some of you have complained, like myself , about their X5 being supplied with a black grill (slats) instead of the assumed chrome/titanium colored grills.

When I thought that this may have been an issue I told my dealer several weeks prior to deliver that I would not accept my car with the black grills as my specific order was consistent with the chrome illustrated grill in the product brochure. My car is an 40dM sport (UK spec).
I am aware, from other threads, that there are a number of European delivered 40dM with the (incorrect) black grill.
My dealer accepted (but did not admit) that this was an "mistake" at manufacturing and agreed to have the grills replaced at no cost to me.

I know this is a matter of taste and to some people it wont matter but the bigger issue here is BMW seem to think they can make this kind of mistake and get away with it.
In my opinion my X5 looks far better with the changed grill and I'm also quietly satisfied that this is another small win for us - the consumer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I actually like the black better on a white or black car, but the titanium does look better, fantastic really, on your space gray. Glad they cleared it up for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I also prefer all black.. to be totally honest.. the chrome silver titanium or whatever color just looks out of place with the black lower mesh grills and the black lower corner side mesh grills...
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

I got mine with black and I am waiting on the dealer for replacement. Never been a fan of chrome/titanium but on the F15 the designer intended the headlights to merge with the grill in one seamless line and this only works with the titanium grills. Seen one with all black grills and it looked awful...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
I got mine with black and I am waiting on the dealer for replacement. Never been a fan of chrome/titanium but on the F15 the designer intended the headlights to merge with the grill in one seamless line and this only works with the titanium grills. Seen one with all black grills and it looked awful...
Finally Someone sees What I mean, the all Black grille disconnects This line, but because all Other parts in My Car Are Black, I am Still undecided whether or not to take the black grille.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
atranphoto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

I ordered a xdrive35i M sport. Is that supposed to come standard with the aluminum grilles? On my "track my BMW" site, it's showing the black grills. Can I just ask the dealer to god this before I pick up the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Having seen before/after I do prefer the titanium grills.
Shame this is only on the 4D M Sport not us 3D Pauper's
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #8
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Having seen before/after I do prefer the titanium grills.
Shame this is only on the 4D M Sport not us 3D Pauper's
I hear you Baunton!
But you've always got the option of changing?

Agree with the comments above regarding black grills work better some some colors and chrome/titanium works better with others.
Thanks for comments regarding my new grills - defiantly much happier with the space grey and new grills.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Mine is getting changed during next week, but also on "goodwill" by my dealer who claims that BMW are not paying for replacement grills/kidneys on the 40d.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

How can BMW not be paying when on my order and in the BMW catalogue it clearly states that 40d comes with titanium grills????!
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Unfortunately for me, in France, there is no clear statement in any catalogue that 40d should come with titanium grilles. Mine has just arrived today at my CC (I'm waiting for my CA to send me some photos), and delivery is planned for next tuesday. I don't know yet if it will be equipped with standard black grilles or titanium, but I don't have any argument to claim for a replacement if it is not equipped with titanium ones, because of the french documentation..

Anyway, I think I'll order high gloss black grilles if mine is equipped with normal black ones, just want to be sure it will match perfectly with carbon black though..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Looks great!
Glad you have it sorted and your dealer has done the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
Unfortunately for me, in France, there is no clear statement in any catalogue that 40d should come with titanium grilles. Mine has just arrived today at my CC (I'm waiting for my CA to send me some photos), and delivery is planned for next tuesday. I don't know yet if it will be equipped with standard black grilles or titanium, but I don't have any argument to claim for a replacement if it is not equipped with titanium ones, because of the french documentation..

Anyway, I think I'll order high gloss black grilles if mine is equipped with normal black ones, just want to be sure it will match perfectly with carbon black though..
We are talking about cars with M Sport package, 40d doesnt automatically come with M sport package, hence also not necessarily titanium grill, but M50d does. His car above has the M Sport Package, so titanium grille. Look at the pics in this brochure page 44. ALso M50d page 30. FUnny thing is that this is not written anywhere, but the picture text says a car with M SPort package, nothing else. This is an international brochure.

http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.bGQ&cad=rja
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep

Mine is also M sport package. Also, 30d or 35i M sport do not come with titanium grilles, so it is definitely not part of the m sport package.
In page 44, yes, the picture shows titanium grilles, but they are not part of the description of exterior equipment, unlike for instance p42 or p43 (x line and exclusive line) where it is clearly mentionned that x line will come with titanium ("Inserts décoratifs couleur titane au niveau des entrées d’air latérales à
l’avant") and exclusive comes with crhome grilles ("Grille de calandre avec barres verticales chromées sur la tranche etgrilles d’entrée d’air avant au design spécifique").*

I don't think the picture itself is enough to claim for titanium : this is a picture of M sport 50i, which actually comes with titanium, not because of the m sport package, but because of the 50i engine.

* I'm referering to the french documentation, but it is the same in international version.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine is also M sport package. Also, 30d or 35i M sport do not come with titanium grilles, so it is definitely not part of the m sport package.
In page 44, yes, the picture shows titanium grilles, but they are not part of the description of exterior equipment, unlike for instance p42 or p43 (x line and exclusive line) where it is clearly mentionned that x line will come with titanium ("Inserts décoratifs couleur titane au niveau des entrées d’air latérales à
l’avant") and exclusive comes with crhome grilles ("Grille de calandre avec barres verticales chromées sur la tranche etgrilles d’entrée d’air avant au design spécifique").

I don't think the picture itself is enough to claim for titanium : this is a picture of M sport 50i, which actually comes with titanium, not because of the m sport package, but because of the 50i engine.
Where does it say 50i comes with titanium grille?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #16
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I also prefer all black.. to be totally honest.. the chrome silver titanium or whatever color just looks out of place with the black lower mesh grills and the black lower corner side mesh grills...

Totally agree - the carpet should match the drapes

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #17
kip1
Captain
Rep

Just did the configurator on the https://www.bmw.fr.

M50d, 40d, 50i come with titanium grille, Msport doesnt feg with 30d (surprising and missguiding from the brochure, I think based on the pics one should demand titanium). Still you should have titanium grille.

Last edited by kip1; 04-11-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
We are talking about cars with M Sport package, 40d doesnt automatically come with M sport package, hence also not necessarily titanium grill, but M50d does. His car above has the M Sport Package, so titanium grille. Look at the pics in this brochure page 44. ALso M50d page 30. FUnny thing is that this is not written anywhere, but the picture text says a car with M SPort package, nothing else. This is an international brochure.

http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.bGQ&cad=rja
Agreed! Picture has 'titanium' grills but is not mentioned in the text for the on-line brochure or my hard-copy issued July 2013
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #19
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Totally agree - the carpet should match the drapes
Or, collars and cuffs, so to speak
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Or, collars and cuffs, so to speak
But you can't match the headlights to black, atleast in Europe

Also with white, I would take the black grille and with black the titanium grille, but still undecided with grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Where does it say 50i comes with titanium grille?
Nowhere. BMW always change kidney grilles on the most powerful engine (remember the old times when 6 cylinders engines had chrome kidney grilles, contrary to 4 cylinders). 50i has this ti distinguish it from 35i for instance.

Why would 35i and 30d (35d in US) M sport get black kidney if it was part of the M sport package ? The picture itself is just an illustration (of a 50i), and should always be considered as "non-contractual"..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nowhere. BMW always change kidney grilles on the most powerful engine (remember the old times when 6 cylinders engines had chrome kidney grilles, contrary to 4 cylinders). 50i has this ti distinguish it from 35i for instance.

Why would 35i and 30d (35d in US) M sport get black kidney if it was part of the M sport package ? The picture itself is just an illustration (of a 50i), and should always be considered as "non-contractual"..
CHeck what I wrote on the French BMW configurator above.
Appreciate 0