BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

MSport with M Adaptive vs Dynamic Handling Package.

Planning on ordering a new F15 with 3rd row but can't seem to decide between these two options. The price for Msport with M adaptive is similar to No-line X5 with Dynamic handling package with all other options being the same.

I prefer the look of the Msport external body features and the Msport steering wheel but not sure if it's worth sacrificing Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization. Would appreciate any input.
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x35i, lotus Elise sc

Not easy to decide, in normal driving conditions you do need DHP. I do not have it and never had a problem. It is nice to have DHP but do you really need it?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12 View Post
Not easy to decide, in normal driving conditions you do need DHP. I do not have it and never had a problem. It is nice to have DHP but do you really need it?
I currently have an E70 with regular suspension and have never driven a car with DHP but the no.1 complaint my spouse has about this vehicle is that the ride is not comfortable enough and is bumpy especially in the back row. With sudden turns it also becomes nauseating for her with the body roll. Although I feel this has more to do with the way I drive than the taught suspension, I was hoping I could remedy this by getting DHP in our next X5. But I could be wrong
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

F15 is more comfortable then it predecessors. Air suspension , might be what you need not DHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashot12 View Post
F15 is more comfortable then it predecessors. Air suspension , might be what you need not DHP.
Does the F15 with rear air suspension and M adaptive drive have less body roll compared to the E70? Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Ashot12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't know, but air suspension is supposed to be most comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmanx View Post
Planning on ordering a new F15 with 3rd row but can't seem to decide between these two options. The price for Msport with M adaptive is similar to No-line X5 with Dynamic handling package with all other options being the same.

I prefer the look of the Msport external body features and the Msport steering wheel but not sure if it's worth sacrificing Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization. Would appreciate any input.
In looking at your current vehicles, I'd go with the Msport + Adaptive. Until you've *had* a vehicle with DHP, you never really miss it - if that makes sense

If you're happy with the handling of your prior 50i, I think you'll be more than happy here. The non-DHP still handles incredibly well for a vehicle its size.

The difference is very subtle - it gives you confidence to go into sharper corners much faster, and drive more like a sports-sedan than an SUV. You've had some sporty sedans, but none that have the rails-like handling of DHP, so enjoy the aesthetics of Msport instead!

Just my $0.02...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1105068
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Just came from a E70 with standard suspension few weeks ago and I can tell you that Adaptive M suspension is a sportier ride. Depending on the settings you have it done chassis+suspension on sport the ride is flat and corners very well almost sports car like and I want to say very similar to my E60 with sports package and ARS+damping. Body roll is not totally eliminated but it is reduced significantly more than my E70. When you engage the system to comfort then the ride becomes more soft.

I have a 2015 Msport with 20" M wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Just came from a E70 with standard suspension few weeks ago and I can tell you that Adaptive M suspension is a sportier ride. Depending on the settings you have it done chassis+suspension on sport the ride is flat and corners very well almost sports car like and I want to say very similar to my E60 with sports package and ARS+damping. Body roll is not totally eliminated but it is reduced significantly more than my E70. When you engage the system to comfort then the ride becomes more soft.

+1 - I have M-Sport with Adaptive
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #11
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
The difference is very subtle - it gives you confidence to go into sharper corners much faster, and drive more like a sports-sedan than an SUV. You've had some sporty sedans, but none that have the rails-like handling of DHP, so enjoy the aesthetics of Msport instead!
Does DHP offer a significant improvement over M-adaptive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman26 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
+1 - I have M-Sport with Adaptive
The reviews posted in the above thread give an impression that M-Adaptive improves handling decreases body roll in curves. My understanding is that M-Adaptive only adds adjustable dampers while DHP goes one step further and controls body roll too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

M Adaptive adds additional dampening which in turn helps with body rolling/pitching. It does not offer additional roll control beyond what the standard non-adjustable anti-roll bars offer, unlike DHP's active adjustable anti-roll bar mechanism which will adjust the effective anti-roll bar stiffness according to driving conditions. DHP also gives you torque vectoring which is undeniably the most useful feature of that package. Torque vectoring in a nutshell allows the car better directional control on cornering maneuvers.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
SpdAddictRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
M Adaptive adds additional dampening which in turn helps with body rolling/pitching. It does not offer additional roll control beyond what the standard non-adjustable anti-roll bars offer, unlike DHP's active adjustable anti-roll bar mechanism which will adjust the effective anti-roll bar stiffness according to driving conditions. DHP also gives you torque vectoring which is undeniably the most useful feature of that package. Torque vectoring in a nutshell allows the car better directional control on cornering maneuvers.
+1 Very well said! I couldn't imagine driving the f15 without DHP now. Although like others said, if you haven't experienced the benefits of DHP, you won't miss them with just the M Adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
M Adaptive adds additional dampening which in turn helps with body rolling/pitching....
Reduced body rolling/pitching is only apparent in sport(+) mode or does the comfort mode also benefit from this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdAddictRY View Post
...Although like others said, if you haven't experienced the benefits of DHP, you won't miss them with just the M Adaptive.
By that logic I shouldn't get the M-adaptive suspension either since I've never experienced it and won't know what I'm missing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Reduced body rolling/pitching is only apparent in sport(+) mode or does the comfort mode also benefit from this?
Consider the Comfort mode as the baseline. So yes, Sport/Sport+ does offer better roll/pitch resistance than Comfort. Comfort mode is more "floaty" than Sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:

By that logic I shouldn't get the M-adaptive suspension either since I've never experienced it and won't know what I'm missing.
It depends on your settings. In iDrive you can set the the chassis and drivetrain or both can be set to adjust in sport or comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #17
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Consider the Comfort mode as the baseline. So yes, Sport/Sport+ does offer better roll/pitch resistance than Comfort. Comfort mode is more "floaty" than Sport modes.
Quote:
It depends on your settings. In iDrive you can set the the chassis and drivetrain or both can be set to adjust in sport or comfort mode.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, in comfort mode the M-adaptive suspension basically behaves like regular Msport suspension and when put in sport mode it becomes sportier than regular M-sport, and Kzang as you mentioned in another thread that M-adaptive suspension is more about increasing the sportiness of the vehicle as opposed to DHP which gives the best of both worlds, increased comfort and sportiness.

Does it make sense to opt for DHP in 35i's? I believe someone mentioned that to take full advantage of DHP one needs to get it with 50i.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to make an informed decision and not end up with an expensive mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I honestly do not understand why people say you MUST get the DHP on a 50i.. maybe because they associate power with handling... but IMO thats ridiculous... I think some of these people just read what others say and repeat it on the forums.. I see this happening all the time.. people don't have any first hand experience in DHP suspension and they try to explain what this feature actually does.

For me in comfort mode ( default setting ) my X5 behaves normal... I don't feel any stiffness or tightening of the suspension. In sport or sport+ mode my X5 feels like a sports car, the suspension tightens up, my steering is more precise, and while taking turns the X5 stays flat and confident. Again refer to my post above where you can change the settings for each mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
MtgMaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
I passed on the DHP this time around to apply the dollars elsewhere and I can tell you the "standard" suspension is pretty dam good. If you can afford it, get it, no question. But if you would rather apply dollars elsewhere do so because unless shaving tenths off a lap time is your priority I don't think you will be unhappy without it.

The car is very capable in the conners and very comfortable too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #20
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
I honestly do not understand why people say you MUST get the DHP on a 50i.. maybe because they associate power with handling... but IMO thats ridiculous... I think some of these people just read what others say and repeat it on the forums.. I see this happening all the time.. people don't have any first hand experience in DHP suspension and they try to explain what this feature actually does.

For me in comfort mode ( default setting ) my X5 behaves normal... I don't feel any stiffness or tightening of the suspension. In sport or sport+ mode my X5 feels like a sports car, the suspension tightens up, my steering is more precise, and while taking turns the X5 stays flat and confident. Again refer to my post above where you can change the settings for each mode.
Mine has standard suspension and I like it just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #21
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:

DHP is always active regardless of what setting mode you stick the car in. Its active and real time in that its constantly monitoring many different parts of the car in order to provide the most appropriate car behavior based on what the driver requests. So even in comfort mode the car won't behave like a Audi Q7 / Buick and roll around the road.

The system though comes at a cost. Its highly complex, requires many additional sensors, additional hardware in the suspension, has redundancy built in and of course requires a large amount of electronics and embedded software.

Thus driving its cost up of the option.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #22
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand, but what I really wanted to know is if the M-adaptive in comfort mode is more comfortable than a regular M-sport model without the adaptive suspension. My main purpose is to improve the comfort level of the vehicle over what the standard suspension offers. From what I understand the regular M-sport suspension is stiffer than the suspension in the no line model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtgMaster View Post
I passed on the DHP this time around to apply the dollars elsewhere and I can tell you the "standard" suspension is pretty dam good. If you can afford it, get it, no question. But if you would rather apply dollars elsewhere do so because unless shaving tenths off a lap time is your priority I don't think you will be unhappy without it.
I'm looking at two builds at similar price points, one has the M-sport package with M-adaptive and the other one is a no line with DHP. So for me it's not about added cost, I'm gonna end up paying the same with either build. Personally I like the looks of the Msport package and if it fits my criteria then I'd rather get that over the no line DHP. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Mine has standard suspension and I like it just fine.
Standard suspension with the Msport package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
DHP is always active regardless of what setting mode you stick the car in. Its active and real time in that its constantly monitoring many different parts of the car in order to provide the most appropriate car behavior based on what the driver requests. So even in comfort mode the car won't behave like a Audi Q7 / Buick and roll around the road.

The system though comes at a cost. Its highly complex, requires many additional sensors, additional hardware in the suspension, has redundancy built in and of course requires a large amount of electronics and embedded software.

Thus driving its cost up of the option.
No doubt the DHP is far superior but somehow I feel it is overkill for my needs, and if I'm unable to get a more comfortable ride with Msport + M-adaptive, compared to the standard Msport suspension then I'd just go with the DHP.
Appreciate 0