BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #45
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragueX5 View Post
honestly not so absurd. maybe a bit histericaly said but me coming from E70 to F15 with adaptive M, I'm very diaspointed by the sport mode, its still very soft and very unpleasantly wobbly in very high speeds on the autobahn compared to the E70 which was rock solid stiff, like on train tracks and 180+km/h (over 100miles/h)
having said that the comfort mode is very very nice on the F15.
Unless you had adaptive drive suspension on your E70... I find that hard to believe as well.. I also came from a standard suspension E70 and while the suspension was pleasantly sporty and firm, it was no where as sporty as the adaptive m suspension on the F15. And if you did have Adaptive Drive on your E70, then your comparison is pointless.
      06-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #46
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Unless you had adaptive drive suspension on your E70... I find that hard to believe as well.. I also came from a standard suspension E70 and while the suspension was pleasantly sporty and firm, it was no where as sporty as the adaptive m suspension on the F15. And if you did have Adaptive Drive on your E70, then your comparison is pointless.
yes I had, my E70 was fully loaded steering and chasis realted with all that was available.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #47
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
yes I had, my E70 was fully loaded steering and chasis realted with all that was available.
Then with all due respect, your comment was pointless about the E70 with AD handling better than the F15 with Adaptive M Suspension.

A fair comparison would be with a F15 that is equipped with DHP. DHP = the previous generation Adaptive Drive.
      06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #48
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

In Canada, the MSport suspension comes default with the MSport package which is almost $10K later because you gotta get Premium before you can get MSport.

I'm not 'internet exaggerating', when I put into sports mode, the X5 becomes extra firm and bumpy but I can take corner a lot easier. Definitely worth the price.

Next time I will give DHP a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #49
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by samguan View Post
I'm not 'internet exaggerating', when I put into sports mode, the X5 becomes extra firm and bumpy but I can take corner a lot easier. Definitely worth the price.

thats true, but try the same in E70 and you will see what I mean.
E70 was much more solid and cornering was a level better
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #50
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
honestly not so absurd. maybe a bit histericaly said but me coming from E70 to F15 with adaptive M, I'm very diaspointed by the sport mode, its still very soft and very unpleasantly wobbly in very high speeds on the autobahn compared to the E70 which was rock solid stiff, like on train tracks and 180+km/h (over 100miles/h)
having said that the comfort mode is very very nice on the F15.
I agree with you here. The E70 with Adaptive Drive was solid like a TANK. Felt heavy and fat. The F15 (I have standard suspension, but my father has Adaptive M and my statement still stands) is light and nimble. And I agree, it's incredibly comfortable. My wife, the primary user of the F15, absolutely loves it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #51
bicoastalbmw
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Prem Sport Silver

I've had three X5's over the past 5 months.

Also have a 335 Sport and Mini Clubman Sport

E70 without adaptive drive. Typical BMW rock solid drive.....

Traded the E70 for a factory ordered F15 M-Sport with same standard suspension called out. Should have done my homework. BMW "softened" the standard suspension....for me - like driving my parents Buick in days of
Old. Couldn't have been more disappointed with excessive body roll and overall poor handling on aggressive driving. Nothing I've experienced across multiple BMW's. Comfort-Sport-Sport+ changes drivetrain settings - does nothing for suspension/body roll/pitch

In comes a new factory order F15 M-Sport with DHP and Air Suspension. Yes - lost some big dollars dumping the 2 month old non-DHP.

For me - night and day. As noted elsewhere here, DHP is always active providing constant stability and improved ride. Can adjust whether Chassis + Drivetrain or one or the other changes in Sport. In Sport + you get both.

You can immediately feel the differences between the settings. You can go from super smooth comfort ride to sportier with more road feel and tighter suspension responses. Under all circumstances - a superior ride with DHP compared to standard (which I'm sure for majority of demographic buying the X5 wants).

Took much thought to replace a two month old vehicle I purchased - not leased.

The initial F15 I test drove had a third row seat -- which means it had air-suspension as a default option.

BMW did advise after much conversation the F15 suspension has a far softer less controlled ride with standard suspension compared to the E70.

For me, DHP is a must have option. Those that say it's additional complexity will cost more to maintain likely shouldn't own a BMW...German Engineering has always come with excessive warning lights and additional stops for repairs. But nothing else drives like it.

DHP👍🏻
Appreciate 1
Alan l.5341.00
      10-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #52
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

I think DHP is good if you are doing some "off-roading" and other things.

I read a lot how the BMW features work individually and it's far beyond just a "mild" hardware and software addition. The modules talk to each other and do things in harmony according to conditions. The amount of research and development to make the systems top notch is far beyond it's option price.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #53
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

with all due respect i don't believe it has much to do with off roading, rather, enhances the drive on a daily basis, from feeling flat and in control rather than bouncing around or feeling too stiff, and be able to take corners aggressively without feeling like you're going to burst through the door cause of body roll, unfortunately i did my research a little bit to late and only went with the adaptive m suspension rather than the DHP, i feel as if it was the first option i should have added! if anyone knows the best way to keep the car flat in corners without a whole new suspension id love to hear... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #54
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Thanks for the input on this subject, especially those of you with actual first-hand knowledge.

Please correct me if I am wrong:
DHP: Comfort mode is MORE comfortable/compliant than any base suspension and offers Sport which functions as expected.
M-Adapt: Does not offer improved compliance comfort in any setting relative to base.

I live in Michigan and like many other places our roads are notoriously rough. For a daily driver, I want a suspension to take away the "thwack" of potholes, expansion joints, etc. yet still offer the ability to have fun on occasion. My days of pushing the limits on a public road are waaay behind me, but on a well-known stretch with clear sight lines it is still fun to pretend.

The big debate for me now is the next generation/refresh on the horizon...

Thanks again for the input.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #55
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Well, there you go: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913797
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #56
JM71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: P911

I've been test driving new X5s to replace my current X3. I had two previous E70s both with DHP. They have definitely softened the ride in the F15 even with DHP. Drove an X5M (yes full M, not M sport) last weekend and to me it rode and drove about the same as my old E70 wth DHP. I'm now leaning towards X5M...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #57
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Thanks for the input on this subject, especially those of you with actual first-hand knowledge.

Please correct me if I am wrong:
DHP: Comfort mode is MORE comfortable/compliant than any base suspension and offers Sport which functions as expected.
Correct.

It's why I'm ticking that particular option box on my X5 order that is being placed on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
The big debate for me now is the next generation/refresh on the horizon...
No refresh on the horizon, next gen G05 is 2 years away at least.
      10-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #58
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
One thing to note is that you can not order MSport with DHP and Third row. I don't think it will matter to you but if I could have ordered it I probably would have sprung for it. I chose to forgo Msport so I can have DHP with the third row. I would definitely recommend skipping Msport so you can have DHP. You can only look at the car so much. Once your behind the wheel I feel that the looks are irrelevant. The difference in the drive is incredible.
I tried ordering DHP with 3rd Row and it would not let me (Canada). I always thought that you cannot combine 3rd Row Seating and DHP since the beginning as 3rd Row utilizes a different air suspension set up.

And what is Comfort Adaptive Suspension?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #59
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

To further confuse consumers, there is an Adaptive Suspension Package Professional

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...kages.html#t=l

Quote:
Adaptive Suspension Packages.
The BMW X5 drives as majestically as it looks – particularly with the optional Adaptive Suspension Packages. Whether sporty or comfortable, these packages guarantee the best possible road-holding in all situations.
Maximum driving comfort while retaining hallmark BMW driving dynamics properties: the Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort allows you to individually adjust the suspension and damping response at any time. The rear axle air suspension included guarantees a consistently high level of driving comfort regardless of the car's load state.

If you want a more dynamic suspension set-up at times, Driving Experience Control offers you the additional options of Sport and Sport+ mode.

The Adaptive Suspension Package Dynamic lets you further optimise the dynamic potential of your car. Dynamic Performance Control, included in the feature, and Dynamic Drive guarantee very sporty driving dynamics in general, reflected mainly in a very neutral steering response and minimum side tilt of the body when taking bends − and all this while retaining a high level of drive comfort.

The best of both worlds is provided by the Active Suspension Package Professional, which combines the features of the Adaptive Suspension Package Comfort and the Adaptive Suspension Package Dynamic, for both maximum driving comfort and outstanding driving dynamics.

Increased driving dynamics: the Adaptive M Suspension gets maximum potential out of your car. Features include Dynamic Damper Control and air suspension at the rear axle, with a set-up designed for a particularly sporty driving response. The Adaptive M Suspension is only available as part of the M Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #60
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

I wish adaptive was $2000 option, if so, I would have purchased it, I regret not getting it (I got m-adaptive for air springs since I tow). I still wouldn't pay the premium, but the current car wallows and tilts.
The e70 with standard suspension was stiff and was relatively a buckboard, not as bad as my e90 M3 but stiff...not that great. The f15 is a great freeway car and in sport a 6 out of 10 with m-adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #61
MtgMaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
My 2014 50 f15 was up last month and got a 35 this time. Both m sport. My 50 was the standard suspension. It's good, it will do what you need it to but the other options are ever better. The 35 I just got has the 3rd row so air suspension by default and it's noticeably better on the bumps. Seems to be flatter in corners too but that might be my imagination.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #62
jonolondon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 4.0d

Hi there - Has anyone had any experience of swapping between standard and M Sport suspension on an X6 ?

My local BMW dealer here in the UK has a mega deal on a pre-registered X6 however it has the standard suspension (which interestingly enough you cannot seem to order online here - it's now M-sport only).

Reading some of these threads little worried about buying a Non M-Sport suspension car and it being really far too soft.. With all of that said, I do intend to do some big miles in it, so looking for some comfort ! I'm not sure what the differences between the standard F15 X5 vs Standard F16 X6 are... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #63
PentH20 Fan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

So can you get M-sport package with DHP or no?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #64
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PentH20 Fan View Post
So can you get M-sport package with DHP or no?
Yes
Appreciate 0