01-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F86 X6M

Power tailgate issue

Hi all

Troubleshooting a power tailgate issue on my 2018 F86 X6M. The power tailgate does not lift using either the key fob or driver side button. However, the tailgate will shut (using either key fob or driver side button) after it has been lifted by hand.

This used to be an intermittent issue - the power tailgate would have issues lifting for a few days and then work for several weeks without issue, but now it seems to have become permanent, which leads me to believe a part somewhere has finally completed worn and failed.

A few things to note:
  • When the open button is pressed, the tailgate unlocks, and you can hear some mechanical noise as though it is trying to lift.
  • The power tailgate is set to open to maximum in idrive.
  • Read somewhere that sometimes the rubber seals get too sticky and provide too much resistance. I have tried to lubricate the seals but no success in addressing the issue.
  • I have checked the fuses for the power tailgate - they appear to be fine.
  • Internet searches indicate that some X5/X6 owner had issues with power tailgate module becoming wet. I have checked the module (below the fuse box in the RH boot) - there are no signs of it having been exposed to any water.

This issue wouldn't bother me so much if the tailgate was easy enough to lift by hand, but it is damn heavy (or feels that way because of the mechanical resistance).

Appreciate your thoughts/experiences on anything similar.

Last edited by I Luv BMW; 01-17-2024 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:50 AM   #2
SCar24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
Hi all

Troubleshooting a power tailgate issue on my 2018 F86 X6M. The power tailgate does not lift using either the key fob or driver side button. However, the tailgate will shut (using either key fob or driver side button) after it has been lifted by hand.

This used to be an intermittent issue - the power tailgate would have issues lifting for a few days and then work for several weeks without issue, but now it seems to have become permanent, which leads me to believe a part somewhere has finally completed worn and failed.

A few things to note:
  • When the open button is pressed, the tailgate unlocks, and you can hear some mechanical noise as though it is trying to lift.
  • The power tailgate is set to open to maximum in idrive.
  • Read somewhere that sometimes the rubber seals get too sticky and provide too much resistance. I have tried to lubricate the seals but no success in addressing the issue.
  • I have checked the fuses for the power tailgate - they appear to be fine.
  • Internet searches indicate that some X5/X6 owner had issues with power tailgate module becoming wet. I have checked the module (below the fuse box in the RH boot) - there are no signs of it having been exposed to any water.

This issue wouldn't bother me so much if the tailgate was easy enough to lift by hand, but it is damn heavy (or feels that way because of the mechanical resistance).

Appreciate your thoughts/experiences on anything similar.
Assuming your tailgate responds and unlocks when you press the buttons, I am thinking that one of your power-struts are bad.
Had a similar issue with my 2018 F86, where the tailgate would unlock, pop open as it were, but could not lift the tailgate. Once it was open however, it would shut normally as the weight of the tailgate allowed the remaining working strut to close it.

I had no error message for the fault, but once I replaced defective strut it opened as it should.

My fault finding method was to disconnect them one by one and test. The working strut would open and try for a second, but then stop due to resistance, whereas the the defective strut did nothing.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 04:15 AM   #3
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Really useful insight, thank you. Assume the “strut” is the same as “spindle”? How easy/difficult are these to replace?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:03 AM   #4
SCar24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv BMW View Post
Really useful insight, thank you. Assume the “strut” is the same as “spindle”? How easy/difficult are these to replace?
Yes, the spindle. Part numbers 51247434043 and 51247434044.

Fairly easy to replace, only thing is they have to be initialized afterwards, but if you have access to ISTA it's an easy thing to do.
Perhaps Bimmercode or Bimmerlink can do the initializing aswell?

If you PM me your email I can send you the pdf's of the repair routine from ISTA.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #5
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks, PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #6
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Try with the dealer to have the thing replaced under warranty. Maybe they will pay for the parts and you for the labour. A couple of years ago I had this issue with a M50d X6 and BMW came to the party. Good Luck