BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Those with the M Performance Brakes.... Question

Who did your install? (Bmw dealer or your own mechanic)

How did your brakes feels right after install?

Did you get your car coded for the brakes afterwards? (Bmw says coding is required for this kit)

Just got my car back and noticed that my pedal is slightly lower than before now. I was not expecting this. The car stops but again there is more pedal travel almost like there is still air in the lines. My installer is very good and assured me that the system is air free but this doesn't seem right. It is possible that my brakes still need to be bedded in and remove the coating on the rotors but I can't imagine this causing what I am noticing at the moment. I need to drive the car more to see if it improves since I only drove it a few miles home before.

Someone on the F30 forum said his pedal felt firmer after getting the car coded for his BMW sport brake upgrade kit.

Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer for them to charge me a few hundred bucks for something that takes a few minutes to do or I could do myself through coding....

Alan
      09-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT 53 4-door

Garage List
Hi.
My installation of brakes made it to an authorized service BMW.
My rule 12 times venting system and one test bench, then gave me to do a test drive and if I have to be eliminated remarks. When installing several times cast and tests of the system of the car. My foot was stiffer than the previous braking system.
I do not know you can only coding will be able to fix the sinking of the pedal, I think the better visit again because the service brakes have serious work.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

I had mine done by my dealership because that was the only way to have it covered by factory warranty for the duration of the overall coverage. Non authorized installs won't be covered otherwise.

Yes, my X5 had to be coded after the install. My pedal felt the same position-wise as before and also felt a bit firmer than before. Confidence inspiring-even. Maybe drive yours for a bit longer before you determine if there's something wrong.

I couldn't tell you if it felt firmer before/after the coding because I had everything done all at once but it definitely felt firmer than before with the stock brakes.

Last edited by atomic80; 09-29-2015 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Thanks guys.

I trust my installer and he's the only other person that touches my car besides myself so i don't suspect something wasn't installed right. The only other thing is that i used the stock brake lines that were on the car instead of the lines that came with the kit since people said that its the same exact line. No point replacing it since my X5 only has 4K miles on it

I read a thread on the F30 saying that coding made his pedal feel significantly firmer after the brake kit install. Wondering if these care at that connected that even installing a brake kit will throw things off if you don't have the matching software for it.

I am trying to get a hold of the official bmw install guide for the brake kit so I can tell if this is something that I could code myself or something that only the dealers could do.

Alan
      09-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Cost a lot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 30d Msport 2015 F15

Alan,

Nice X5, from Australia.

I upgraded my callipers, rotors and pads from 30dMsport (Australia) to callipers & rotors off a M50d -we get the M50d in Aus. (could not afford the Mperformance brakes. Did the job myself. No change to pedal position, however yes the pedal did feel a little softer, weird, however given the better pads and larger braking surface area, they feel softer because you simply don't have to apply as much pressure to stop. I did a second bleed to double check, however no change. Give it a couple of hard brakes and then you will see the difference, the pedal gets firm real fast. I did no coding up grade, can't see how that would change anything as its a mechanical item (force of oil down a brake line). However interested to know if this is required and why tho. Post some photos. My work below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jmack1231298.50
      09-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Did a lot research this morning and i've come to the conclusion that CODING is required if you upgraded to larger caliper brakes/rotors.

Check out this thread here - http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=HO-Wort

There are lots of guys that DIY their m performance brakes complaining about the same issue I am feeling right after install. Once they coded the car for SPBR "Sport brakes" the pedal feel went back to stock if not better. Even guys who have aftermarket Brembos/stoptechs would benefit from this since the ecu will increase line pressure once its coded for it. I saw atleast one other thread where someone drove around with stoptechs for 3 months then coded to SPBR and said that the initial pedal feel improved noticeably.

So for those who are currently rocking BBKs now without coding....you are missing out the full benefits of the brakes!

I am going to attempt this tonight and will report back my findings.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 09-30-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
      09-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

this is interesting. wouldn't this mean that even if you don't have a big brake system, you could essentially code the car to believe it has a big brake system and enjoy the increased line pressure for a firmer feeling pedal?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

In theory yes but it would be a risky test because you don't know how the ABS, TCS, AWD system will be impacted. I would think doing this could be dangerous as well if the system is applying too much line pressure down to the standard calipers by possibly locking the wheels prematurely or damaging the calipers/seals. If you read through the thread i posted up top, there is also a section in the DSC module where you can select your rotor size as well. Not sure if that only becomes available for cars coded with the upgraded brakes or if all cars have it. I know for the F15 it comes with different size brakes across all of the models.

I tried coding this myself last night and was unsuccessful. The SPBR code that works for the 1 and 3 series doesn't work on the X5. I even had the best coder around Shawnsheridan log in to try it himself and it didn't work. He tried 2 other F15's that he had on file and both gave him the same error. My guess is that it might be called something else for the F15 in which we would need to try to figure out what that would be before anyone could code this themselves. As my last resort I will take trip to my dealer and be at their mercy of whatever they feel like charging me for this simple update.

I did drive my car a bit more last night and although the pedal travel is lower now, I can clearly feel the car has more stopping power compared to stock. The brakes scrubs off speed much quicker than before. I will take a picture showing the size difference of the front rotors this weekend.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 10-01-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Shawnsheridan is the man!

He figured out that for the F15 M performance brakes the correct code is SBRE and I was able to follow the steps to code my car to have this functionality. My brake pedal is no longer sinking lower and it feels like it's back to stock position but with much better braking!

At first right after saving the code to the car I didn't notice any change in the pedal but once I started driving it the pedal firmed right up to what I would expect a big brake kit should feel like.

Very happy now

Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Cost a lot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Alan,
Is it possible to find out what settings actually gets changed with the recoding you have done.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I wouldn't be able to tell. Shawnsheridan probably could but not without a lot of investigating and comparing tons of files in the DSC module before and after. BMW uses ISTA/P for all coding and updates at the dealer. Shawn has access to this and that's how he figured out that the code needed was SBRE because that was the command ISTA would load into the car. With the coding software we use Esys it allows you to manually enter the code then apply it to the DSC. It's like the Ecu already has every single option/function within, you just need to do a few steps to load it out for use.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

My god... I think these M Performance brakes ranks right up there as my favorite mod. The coding last night made them feel amazing plus I spent the morning rebleeding the brakes one more time to make sure there is zero air left in the lines. The improvement over the stock 35i brakes is DRAMATIC. The feel is what I am use to in typical BMW fashion. The stock brakes were good but these gives me the feeling of confidence like I have plenty of brake left if needed.

All in all it's worth every penny.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Must resist........
      10-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Is anyone else even a little creeped out about how much these cars rely on a computer? What if you take it to get serviced and the guy updates to the latest version and doesn't know you've coded and upgrade stuff? Or in 5 - 6 years, the base software is not supported by BMW any longer. Dunno - old school talking here. For me to change the rotors and pads on my SL550, I need to hook it to a computer first. Who will be able to afford these luxury cars outside of warranty?
      10-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Why resist? This mod was easily one of the best things I've ever done to the X5 aside from swapping to the X5M steering wheel. They really should have put these brakes on in the first place. I have a set of front and rear rotors on order! Can't wait to get them!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

This is why my Wife wants me to stay away from these forums LOL
      10-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

So happy I settled for my shitty X line
If I went M I would have already been $15k in the hole with all these goodies lol
can't mod beyond my mppk and RC. Without major investments including m body parts I hedged my impulses. You guys kill me but in a good way.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Is anyone else even a little creeped out about how much these cars rely on a computer? What if you take it to get serviced and the guy updates to the latest version and doesn't know you've coded and upgrade stuff? Or in 5 - 6 years, the base software is not supported by BMW any longer. Dunno - old school talking here. For me to change the rotors and pads on my SL550, I need to hook it to a computer first. Who will be able to afford these luxury cars outside of warranty?
It is pretty crazy how EVERYTHING is connected to the ecu with modern cars. I knew coding was part of the brakes but would have never thought it could have such a drastic impact on how they function. Everyone i asked thought I was nuts to think that coding will remedy my soft pedal issue because normally its caused by air in the lines.

In my case the code for the MP brakes is hard coded into the cars VO (vehicle order). This is what the dealers would do if they installed something like the M Performance Package Kit, MP Brakes, trailer hitch. They would hard code it to the ecu so even if your car comes in and needs a software update their system will look up the vehicle order and update the software according to what is installed on the car.

Alan
      10-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Must resist........
Lets just say that if i had to give up either the MPPK or MPB, I would have a very tough time deciding and you know how much I rave about the MPPK on this car.

Don't fight it Kzang. Only if i could attend the meet coming up. I would let you test drive my X5

Alan
      10-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Old front rotor vs. New M Performance front rotor. The pad contact area is almost twice the size.

front vs front again

Front

I don't have a shot of the rears but the size difference is equally as much as the fronts. The calipers looks the same but those are bigger too.
      10-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #21
Cost a lot
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Hang on! Hang on, the photo above shows solid rotors, then the one below shows a drilled rotor! Please explain. Did you use original BMW pads? Give Carbotec pads a go, they are almost zero dust and slightly better braking over stock pads. Have been using them for 8 years. Have tried EBC, however Carbotec better. Can't stand the dust of the BMW pads.

Good photo, love to see rear and also on car with wheel.

Enjoy the new brakes. I also agree, Msport should come with these brakes as standard. In Aus. the MPBP is $6,3000 + fitting....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
So happy I settled for my shitty X line
If I went M I would have already been $15k in the hole with all these goodies lol
can't mod beyond my mppk and RC. Without major investments including m body parts I hedged my impulses. You guys kill me but in a good way.
Oh, don't I wish I got the X-Line and I will show you what I would do with it.

Kzang , YOLO, enjoy while you can.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1