BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #1123
tadb1973
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive50i

2017 X5 xDrive50i brake pads normal wear?

Hi All, I have a 2017 xDrive50i, bought it with 18K miles on it as a CPO car. Original warranty was up July 2021. I have CPO coverage through, I believe July 2022. I put 20K miles on the car as of today, so it currently has 38K miles on it. 6 months ago, dealer said I needed new rear brakes, so I paid to have them completely replaced, with an oil change. Yesterday, passenger rear brakes start grinding, no indicator warning lights on dash or anything. I look and see the outside rear passenger pad is completely worn off, grinding rotor. I can't see inside pad condition, but all other outer pads around the car look great, nice and thick. I took it in to dealer this morning, SA tells me I need new rear brakes again, after 6 months and 8K miles from last rear brake replacement. He tells me my tires are slightly out of spec and that caused the passenger rear brake pad to wear so fast. I will add that these are the staggered summer wheels and tires, but I also have a winter set I've used for about 5K miles total. So these Summer tires currently have about 15K miles on them. My question is, is this at all normal for the rear passenger pad to completely disintegrate, no indicator light on the dash? I am in no way a heavy-footed brake to pedal driver, I use the paddle shifters to downshift to most stops, etc.

I am arguing with my SA, something does not smell right here. I almost feel as though they never replaced the rear brakes 6 months ago, and why the hell did the brake pad indicator warning light not come on? Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 11:59 PM   #1124
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadb1973 View Post
Hi All, I have a 2017 xDrive50i, bought it with 18K miles on it as a CPO car. Original warranty was up July 2021. I have CPO coverage through, I believe July 2022. I put 20K miles on the car as of today, so it currently has 38K miles on it. 6 months ago, dealer said I needed new rear brakes, so I paid to have them completely replaced, with an oil change. Yesterday, passenger rear brakes start grinding, no indicator warning lights on dash or anything. I look and see the outside rear passenger pad is completely worn off, grinding rotor. I can't see inside pad condition, but all other outer pads around the car look great, nice and thick. I took it in to dealer this morning, SA tells me I need new rear brakes again, after 6 months and 8K miles from last rear brake replacement. He tells me my tires are slightly out of spec and that caused the passenger rear brake pad to wear so fast. I will add that these are the staggered summer wheels and tires, but I also have a winter set I've used for about 5K miles total. So these Summer tires currently have about 15K miles on them. My question is, is this at all normal for the rear passenger pad to completely disintegrate, no indicator light on the dash? I am in no way a heavy-footed brake to pedal driver, I use the paddle shifters to downshift to most stops, etc.

I am arguing with my SA, something does not smell right here. I almost feel as though they never replaced the rear brakes 6 months ago, and why the hell did the brake pad indicator warning light not come on? Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Yeah agree, sounds strange. I would say I typically get 50-100k on my rear brakes and like you I think I am light on them. Sorry to hear, and hope you get it sorted!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 11:15 AM   #1125
hontoir
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5

Recently my 2018 X5 has developed an issue with the vehicle where:-

Steering feels ‘vague’, steering reacts more violently to road surface imperfections, steering will ‘auto-correct’ more than before when turning.

It feels as though there is a detachment between the steering wheel and the steering (a bit like an old landrover) where the wheels do not respond immediately to the steering and vice versa.

This has resulted in the driving experience becoming a lot less enjoyable that it has been.

BMW Dealer has changed both front tyres and reset the tracking (it was off), but that has only improved the ride comfort and has not resolved the steering feel issue.

Checking the steering lower column, I've uploaded a video of what we found, not sure if this is normal or not:-

https://youtu.be/XcEt0HmGjGI
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #1126
tadb1973
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Yeah agree, sounds strange. I would say I typically get 50-100k on my rear brakes and like you I think I am light on them. Sorry to hear, and hope you get it sorted!
Thanks for the input, I ended up compromising (?) with the dealership. They replaced the rear brakes and rotors (again) and charged me for parts only @$525 total...SA told me I should take the deal...lol
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #1127
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontoir View Post
Recently my 2018 X5 has developed an issue with the vehicle where:-

Steering feels ‘vague’, steering reacts more violently to road surface imperfections, steering will ‘auto-correct’ more than before when turning.

It feels as though there is a detachment between the steering wheel and the steering (a bit like an old landrover) where the wheels do not respond immediately to the steering and vice versa.

This has resulted in the driving experience becoming a lot less enjoyable that it has been.

BMW Dealer has changed both front tyres and reset the tracking (it was off), but that has only improved the ride comfort and has not resolved the steering feel issue.

Checking the steering lower column, I've uploaded a video of what we found, not sure if this is normal or not:-

https://youtu.be/XcEt0HmGjGI
Check front axles.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #1128
Bimmerman Mel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 5.0 F15 2018

Hello I recently put cata cleaner from Dinan cars. The same day I had a handed car wash, shortly after, the outside temp Guage started to malfunction (reading -40 degrees). Then the very next day the engine light came on. Is it possible the cata cleaner damaged the engine? And did the car wash damage temp guage?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #1129
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Key Fob System problems

i have a 2014 x5 and the key fob wasn't opening the car nor turning it on unless i put it on the steering wheel, i took it to the dealer and they said i have aftermarket programs interfering with my key system, the new system is 2500$ and isn't covered by my warranty. Does anyone know if bimmercode and MHD tuning on a 2014 bmw x5 x35i interfere with the key fob system, is there a way to fix my key fob problem? if you have any information i would truly appreciate it, saving me a lot of money. *PHOTO IS FROM BMW DEALERSHIP REPORT
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:10 AM   #1130
ill250
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5nyc View Post
i have a 2014 x5 and the key fob wasn't opening the car nor turning it on unless i put it on the steering wheel, i took it to the dealer and they said i have aftermarket programs interfering with my key system, the new system is 2500$ and isn't covered by my warranty. Does anyone know if bimmercode and MHD tuning on a 2014 bmw x5 x35i interfere with the key fob system, is there a way to fix my key fob problem? if you have any information i would truly appreciate it, saving me a lot of money. *PHOTO IS FROM BMW DEALERSHIP REPORT
did you change your keyfob batteries to fresh new ones? could be low on battery
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #1131
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
My wife's 2015 X5 recently had the up/down function on the steering wheel adjustment stop working. It still telescopes in and out just fine. But when you try to move it up or down, I hear a click (almost the sound of a relay switching on and off) but nothing happens. Any one else experience this? Any easy fix? Luckily its position works for both of us, but still would like to fix it if possible.

It randomly happened once a few months ago, but then started working normally again. This time it hasn't come back.

EDIT: Of course as soon as I posted this, drove her car tonight and on the way home from the store it started working again.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune

Last edited by oem.plus_440gc; 03-08-2022 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #1132
McElroyX5V8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 50i

2018 X5 50i LOUD noise

Hello Bimmerpost,

I’m sharing an iCloud link below. The point of the video is the audio of the noise my x5 50i is making. Sounds like a pig being slaughtered. Problem is by the time I take it to the dealer the noise stops and they say if they can’t replicate it they can’t find/fix it. I’m hoping someone here can help identify what is causing the noise. Any help is much appreciated.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/092g...xTtuWQ9eHKeNlg
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #1133
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill250 View Post
Quote:
did you change your keyfob batteries to fresh new ones? could be low on battery
yes i did, and it still doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #1134
AlexAgafitei
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 40E

Exclamation

Hello,

I had an accident, i fixed the car but the high voltage is disconnected.

The two errors are:

High-voltage interlock loop: Line disconnection
High-voltage safety connector (Service Disconnect) disconnected

I have checked the plug connection; it seems to be ok.

Do you have any advice where to check ?

I have checked all the fuses of the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 09:25 PM   #1135
X6_406
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

I just bought an X6M yesterday and found this morning that the rear heated seats didn’t work. The dealer was awesome and fixed it for me today.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #1136
whataboutauto
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1OOORR View Post
Although I Just Took Delivery On 4/7/2014 I Been Reading The Forum And Came Across Some Owners Posting There Issues With There F15 Shortly After Taking Delivery, Within The First Couple Hundred Of Miles. I Just Wanted To Start A Thread About F15 With Issues. Im Sure Most People Wont Have A Issue For The Life Of The Ownership Of The Vehicle But Just Though People Can Post And Share Some Of The Problems They Are Experiencing With The F15 Now In This Thread. So If You Care To Share Your Faults With Your F15 Please Do So.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #1137
Mavsfan
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 40e

2016 40e - bought it CPO about 3 years ago. Had brakes replaced under maintenance program. Went into limp mode a couple years ago and required new batteries ($800). Rear suspension kept sagging about a year ago and I got new rear air springs/bags ($1000). Now they are sagging again and my indy shop says I need a new compressor ($2000?).

I still like it overall, especially since I got my Level 2 charger and have been getting 70mpg / 1500 miles per tank. I would love to get the compressor fixed and not drop another $2K into the rear suspension after spending $1K on the bags last year and only having ~45K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #1138
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
What aftermarket software is the dealer referring to?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #1139
jarunis
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAgafitei View Post
Hello,

I had an accident, i fixed the car but the high voltage is disconnected.

The two errors are:

High-voltage interlock loop: Line disconnection
High-voltage safety connector (Service Disconnect) disconnected

I have checked the plug connection; it seems to be ok.

Do you have any advice where to check ?

I have checked all the fuses of the car.
you need to double-check the high voltage connector, you need to push in using a screwdriver
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #1140
Jakesax
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15 M50d

My m50d stutters at low revs and light acceleration. Had new egr and new inlet manifold. Still no joy.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:54 AM   #1141
calvin-my
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F15 40e, G20 330i

I have a 40e, when the PHEV battery is at low charge, AC basically takes very long to cool up the car. Recently the front row AC blow with ambient air without cooling.

Sent for inspection and was told DME issue. After DME replaced, so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #1142
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i

Brake Pedal Squeaking

View post on imgur.com

About 3 weeks ago I did a full brake pad, rotor and sensor job on my 2017 X5 35i, which went well. I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, as well as Zimmerman rotors. I also cleaned the caliper carriers and everything slides nicely.

Since I performed the job, the brake pedal squeaks (like in the above linked video) on the first press of the day. After the first press of the day, there's no more squeaking or issues.

Is this indicative of a problem? Or just a minor annoyance?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #1143
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy26 View Post
View post on imgur.com

About 3 weeks ago I did a full brake pad, rotor and sensor job on my 2017 X5 35i, which went well. I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, as well as Zimmerman rotors. I also cleaned the caliper carriers and everything slides nicely.

Since I performed the job, the brake pedal squeaks (like in the above linked video) on the first press of the day. After the first press of the day, there's no more squeaking or issues.

Did you use anti-squeak grease on back of pads, or shims. I am not a fan of shins but always use the grease and done well by me w noise on all vehicles.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
destroy26165.00
      07-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #1144
destroy26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy26 View Post
View post on imgur.com

Did you use anti-squeak grease on back of pads, or shims. I am not a fan of shins but always use the grease and done well by me w noise on all vehicles.
I did. Lubed up with the grease that was sent with the pads from FCP Euro.
Appreciate 1