BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Night Vision differences US / UK / Eurozone

Can anyone with knowledge please explain the different Night Vision options?

In the US, the Night Vision comes with "Pedestrian Detection".

In the UK (and some other European and Asian countries), the Night Vision comes with "Dynamic Light Spot".

Is there a functional or technological difference between "Night Vision w/Dynamic Light Spot" and "Night Vision w/Pedestrian Detection"? Can you point me to a website/video explaining the differences?

Does anyone here in the US have Night Vision on their X5? Do you like it? Would you order it again? Where (city/suburb/country) do you use it/how often do you use it?

Price is coming down in 2015 to $2,300 from $2,600. Still an expensive option, but less so.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cavman; 06-07-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

There is quite a big difference between the two systems. AFAIK, there are some vehicle lighting regulations in the US that prevent the use of the dynamic light spot system.
I bought this feature for my new X5 and, combined with the adaptive LED lights, it is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone.

For the dynamic light spot system, the front fog lights are replaced with the dynamic spot lights. These generate a bright, narrow, vertical strip of light when required and are able to be directed at anything that is within the field of vision of infrared camera.
The system is always on in the dark (when enabled via iDrive and when the headlight switch is in the 'auto' position). If a heat source is detected, the car works out if the source is a human or animal. If it is human and it looks like the person is going to approach the road (or is in the middle of the road already), one the dynamic spot lights is directed at the heat source and follows it as it moves. If the heat source is an animal, the dynamic spot also flashes (presumably to try and frighten the animal away).
The system also warns the driver with messages on the dashboard and (if fitted) the HUD. An audible warning is also given.
A button on the dash (below the headlight switch) allows me to turn on the night vision display. This shows a black and white, infrared view of the road ahead showing any heat sources. If any pedestrians or animals are detected, they are highlighted on the display. This display does not need to be enabled for the dynamic light spots to function.

Of course, I don't have the system without the dynamic light spots but I would imagine the functionality is the same - but without the LED spot lights illuminating the heat source.

Here's a video of the system in action - driving down an unlit road with animals nearby.

Hope that helps. Yell if you have any more questions and I'll try to answer them. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get this system in the US and I don't know how difficult it would be to retrofit the spot lights and enable their control.

Cheers
P
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Wow. Thanks for the awesome info,

Fantastic information. Thank you very much. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Glad I ordered the dynamic spot now. Looks fab!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

Log on to bmwusa.com. Select innovation from the above menus. Select ConnectedDrive from the options on the left. Scroll down and select night vision. The expanded text box clearly states:

"Reveal the darkest roads.
BMW Night Vision detects pedestrians in the dark even from long distances — and selectively illuminates them. The light warns drivers of a potentially hazardous situation, ensuring a safer driving experience."

Selectively illuminates them with the picture of the couple having a spot light them looks pretty clear, unless BMW likes to false advertise on their USA website.

I have not had any object come in front of the car at night yet, but will be seeking clarity from BMW USA.
Appreciate 0