BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Noobie buyers guide

Hello all,

First of all, I am Wesley from The Netherlands, new to the forum. Currently driving a BMW 116I (2006) with almost 200.000km.

I am planning on buying a F15 or F85, but I am undecisive and guess I can use some help from fellow owners. Another thing I am considering is the “new” 2016+ G - 7 series with either Benzine / Diesel.

Ive been looking at a lot of things, and found out some things about certain engines, especially N57 which comes up a lot as “unreliable”, but I might mistaken the different versions. As I had a lot of very expensive repairs with the 116 (timing chain issues :-)….) I am looking mostly for the most reliable engine, but still needs to put a smile on my face when I drive it.

I’m currently thinking about the 40D, 50D M, 50i and X5 M. Initially I was only drawn to Diesel, as I wanted to keep a reasonable fuel consumption, but after watching some youtube videos about the exhaust sound mostly, I reconsidered the Benzine versions.

I am wondering if somebody can tell me more about the different issues and reliability, personal experiences etc, with X5 with around 100.000km. I personally think the X5 M would be “to much”, as I drive it daily, but somebody might change my mind here :-). Or maybe I should focus my mind on the 7 series, if it has more pro’s over a X5?

In advance, thanks a lot

Last edited by Wesley; 10-19-2022 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Added text with car option.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Hi, I'm a UK owner of F15 40D with 150,000 km. I think you'll find the 40D ample quick enough when you need it to be, especially coming from a 116 (5.9 second 0-100kph versus your current 9.5). Stick it in comfort mode and you have a relaxing daily drive / motorway (autobahn) cruiser.

The exhaust sound isn't intrusive, it's barely audible unless being driven hard, and then it's not unpleasant at all, just not 'exciting'.

Bear in mind that most users on this forum are American. The only diesel they have is the 30D, which is called the 35D there. Quite a bit less power and torque, and the quality of their diesel fuel seems to be variable (not as popular so is stored longer).

Irrespective of engine choice you need to think of options. The F15 had a multitude of options available. You need to decide which you really want and which would just be nice to have. There will be as many opinions as there are readers but the universally acclaimed option seems to be Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) which gives you torque vectoring (more power to outer wheels when cornering to power you round the corner, reduce under steer) and active anti-roll bars (anti-sway bars in USA) which do a good job of reducing body roll when driven hard, but remain comfortable when cruising. Only problem is DHP was an expensive option and is a bit hard to find.

Good luck in your search whatever you decide on.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 04:38 AM   #3
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Thanks a lot for your fast and extensive reply. This helps a lot .
Appreciate 0