BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
Furbz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Possible X5 50i

Leaking Windscreen Water Canister

So my Water Canister for the wiper cleaning system seems to have a rather bad leak.
i fill it, and in slowly pours back out over the course of a few days until it' dry.

is this an easy fix?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Depends on what you mean by easy. Too me it's easy. But I don't know what tools you own or what capabilities you have. If you mean easy for a mechanic to do, then yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

But you first need to assess the issue. You may have a cracked reservoir, or a bad hose connection. If your car is like all recent BMWs, you have to remove the front wheel on whichever side it's on and remove the plastic wheel liner to see the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbz View Post
So my Water Canister for the wiper cleaning system seems to have a rather bad leak.
i fill it, and in slowly pours back out over the course of a few days until it' dry.

is this an easy fix?
Absolutely not an easy fix for the average Joe. When I did mine, I ended up removing the entire passenger side fender in order to remove the reservoir. Doing this will put you at risk when installing the fender back and trying to get the correct alignment. Luckily my car is kind of old, so all the screws left a "screwprint" on the fastening points. When I followed that everything was in perfect alignment upon installation.

Anyways, there's no other way around because the reservoir has a good amount of bulging cavity that extends well between the fender and the body framing. So if you dare removing the fender, you can easily replace the reservoir. I'm quite mechanically inclined to which I'm able to cherry-pick the engine out and rebuild it. And the reservoir job took me 3.5 hours total.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

You need to remove the fender in order to get access to the washer fluid tank. So not easy. You can search, there are few threads about it.
Appreciate 0