BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #1
Flyer1234
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Decision time pls advise!!

So after months and months of reading the forum here and there, I am meeting the SA tomorrow to sign the papers. However, I have two choices I have boiled down to. And that is what they have left from 2014 models. Both are the same price.

1. 2014 Sparkling Brown Mocha Dakota 7 seater 30d

2. 2014 Space Grey Black Dakota Surround View 35i

I have been so set on Space Grey until I saw the Sparkling Brown in the show room. I think it is beautiful and unique. My only concern is that it is a diesel engine and I have no previous experience driving one. My intention is to keep the car for at least 6-7 years. I don't need 7 seater nor do I really need the surround view. That is just what they have in stock.

My head tells me to get the Space Grey coz it is just a practical color. But my heart tells me to get the Sparkling Brown. (I just think the color is beautiful especially with the Mocha Dakota interior. It just looks elegant IMHO.

I am in Hong Kong so very little highway driving, no snow, and lots of city driving.

So those who are current F15 owners...what would you advise based on your current ownership experience?

Your advice is much appreciated!!
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Flyer1234; 03-23-2015 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

If it was my money I would take the 35i over the 30d based purely on your stated near to 100% city driving. The 30d engine is a great engine and you would have no long term problems, but I would suggest that you will find the petrol (gas) engine is better suited to city driving (IMO). As for colour - yes the brown is a good looking colour but I'd be wary of resale value with the space grey being a safer colour resale-wise (although if you are keep it for 6-7 years resale may not be an issue).

Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Diesel requires periodic longer driving cycles than what a gas powered urban vehicle does.
You would be better off in the 35i.
      03-23-2015, 04:32 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I own space gray, love the color, but I get it sprakling brown is really classy. Had it for a loaner car and it is just beautiful. One of my neighbours in Austria had a special order and has it with an M package. I love it. In case they put that dark chrome on it it will look great. Also E70 with sparkling brown (or whatever the brown color it had), still looks great. It might be a difficult sell though, as not too many people are into it. I would get the brown if I was you, as you feel it is better. Torque in diesel is awesome, I hear that the gasoline engine is great (never driven F15 gasoline). Surround View is an awesome option.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Personally, I would make that decision based on the engine, not the color. Both colors are great. I say drive them both and do some research on the engines and decide which is best for you..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Personally, I would make that decision based on the engine, not the color. Both colors are great. I say drive them both and do some research on the engines and decide which is best for you..
+1. I agree with Chrisny. Your decision should be based on the engine first and the color/other options second. Many people like Diesel for the gas savings (in the long term) and torque. Others prefer the 35i because its got more power (hp). Its a personal thing and research/your personal preference/driving habits will help you make up your mind.

All the best and let us know what you eventually decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

You only live once. Get what will make you happiest. There is no wrong choice here.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
If it was my money I would take the 35i over the 30d based purely on your stated near to 100% city driving. The 30d engine is a great engine and you would have no long term problems, but I would suggest that you will find the petrol (gas) engine is better suited to city driving (IMO). As for colour - yes the brown is a good looking colour but I'd be wary of resale value with the space grey being a safer colour resale-wise (although if you are keep it for 6-7 years resale may not be an issue).

Tony
The gas vs diesel city-driving-advice is overblown. The diesel is a blast around town because you get to use use the low end torque over and over. For a moment you get the feeling of a V8-like drivetrain with a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Flyer1234
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
+1. I agree with Chrisny. Your decision should be based on the engine first and the color/other options second. Many people like Diesel for the gas savings (in the long term) and torque. Others prefer the 35i because its got more power (hp). Its a personal thing and research/your personal preference/driving habits will help you make up your mind.

All the best and let us know what you eventually decide.
Thank you everyone for their comments. I ended up ordering a 2015 production. 35i, Sparkling Brown, Mocha Dakota, and Surround View.
Expecting a May production so it should arrive in August.

It is strange coz Sparkling Brown on the website looks brown. But in the flesh it looks almost like a dark bloody red. That is why I think it looks so unique and classy.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

The brown is not my cup of tea but as long as your happy that's what really matters!
      03-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer1234 View Post
Thank you everyone for their comments. I ended up ordering a 2015 production. 35i, Sparkling Brown, Mocha Dakota, and Surround View.
Expecting a May production so it should arrive in August.

It is strange coz Sparkling Brown on the website looks brown. But in the flesh it looks almost like a dark bloody red. That is why I think it looks so unique and classy.
That's great. I am glad you went with what you connected with in the end. The first X5 I took for a test drive was the sparkling brown. I agree, Its a nice and unique colour.
Appreciate 0