BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
invisigoth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d, 2016 M135i LCI

Do I miss anything from the side mirrors?

I just noticed that the end of the indicator light strip on the mirror of my X5 has an opening and water can easily get inside. I went back to the dealership (I'm in Australia) this morning and all the X5, X3 are like this with the opening on the mirror.

Could someone please share photos of your X5's mirror? Is there supposed to be a plug/seal or something? The technician at the dealership said to me all Australian deliveries do not have the seal.

What an odd design?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Not missing anything. See this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793624

It looks like water would get in there. It is clearly visible from behind, so it is functional. Questionable design as other BMWs don't have that gap except for X5/X6 as far as I know.
      03-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
invisigoth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d, 2016 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Not missing anything. See this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793624

It looks like water would get in there. It is clearly visible from behind, so it is functional. Questionable design as other BMWs don't have that gap except for X5/X6 as far as I know.
Thanks for this!

I checked the X3 and X4 are the same. It's such an odd design I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
Thanks for this!

I checked the X3 and X4 are the same. It's such an odd design I'd say.
The oddest, or the worst part of the design (sorry for ruining it for you hereafter) is that the perimeter of the side mirrors do not not have auto dimming. and as cars enter your sides, you will see flashes of bright headlights, in the perimeter. I have two MBs and a Lexus that have black trim around the mirror to avoid this.

On a different note...Nice carbon!