03-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarvik View Post
I was under impression one needs to drill holes in the bumper....can someone confirm this?
Yes, they have to attach the plate holder. I'm assuming they do this during dealer prep, as not every state requires a front plate. So some people in states that require a front plate ask them not to attach the front bracket/holder if they want to use a different solution (or risk the tickets..).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The dealer I use never installs the front plate bracket on M or M Sport cars unless a customer specifically requests it. Frankly, this is how it should be by default in my view.

I've actually written delivery contracts that specify no front bracket. If one is installed, I wouldn't take the car even if they offered to replace the bumper. Of course, my CA has messed with me on just about every occasion he can by attaching one with double-sided tape.
      03-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I am guessing that since in MN you have to have a front license plate the dealer already drill the holes in the front bumper and mouth the plate holder so once you pick the car up it is already ready for you to install the plate. I never paid attention or asked since all 4 X5 I got new in MN already came with the front license plate holder on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Yes, they have to attach the plate holder. I'm assuming they do this during dealer prep, as not every state requires a front plate. So some people in states that require a front plate ask them not to attach the front bracket/holder if they want to use a different solution (or risk the tickets..).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971
I am guessing that since in MN you have to have a front license plate the dealer already drill the holes in the front bumper and mouth the plate holder so once you pick the car up it is already ready for you to install the plate. I never paid attention or asked since all 4 X5 I got new in MN already came with the front license plate holder on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Yeah I expect that's exactly how it happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #27
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

I didn't get the front plate mounted on my e70 MSport but started looking for options two tickets later (both while parked).

I can't stand the off center tow hook mount options. I bought a manual flip up one online similar to the one in the vid here but once up on the lift there was no flat surface to mount it to on the e70.

They're serious about it here in Chicago. Parked or not you get nailed. I have witnessed two active pull over situations just in the past couple months here in the city for no front plate. Of course both were nice cars that look better w/o a front plate - an RS7 and C63.

Alas I caved and went with the OEM mount - front and center. I thought it would bother me a lot more than it does. (not near as much as $60 tickets!)
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I've received a number of tickets in both the SF Bay Area and DC for no front plate. (Only parked, never while in operation.) Each and every time I've contested the ticket by mail stating that the vehicle is new, was purchased out of state in a state that doesn't require front plates, and that the dealership has ordered the plate bracket but it is backordered. I also have a lovely PDF letter I created on dealership letterhead (taken from a "thanks for your purchase" letter) stating this that I just edit the date on and print each time I mail a dispute.

Here in CA though there's an interesting loophole with vehicle registrations in that you're not issued a paper or hard plate at the time of delivery, only a temporary registration card that you display on your windshield. I've run no plates for up to 6 months (can't remember the legal limit) which is also helpful. I've contested those, too, citing DMV delays in getting me plates.

They're so backlogged it works every time.
      03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
djarvik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35D M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
I'm prob gettin this done also at 212 motoring along with my tints .. Pic up my car Friday Hopfully

How did it go? Pics? Video?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #30
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

NYC driver here, Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn most of the time, have been ticketed 5 times in last 3 years. 1 out of 5 was actually when the rookie who has nothing else to do pulled me over and gave me $135 ticket. When you are pulled over there is $85 surcharge because the copper is on the move so they make you pay for his milk and donuts. When stationary it is only $50. One of those instances was when parked with driver in the vehicle, coupled with commercial standing zone in midtown, total $165.

Personally, instead of installing the flipper for $300 - which will get you in trouble for installing unauthorized vehicle equipment and might even raise suspicion - I would rather ride without front plate and risk tickets. That's 6 tickets. Considering you don't do manhattan that often, or populated areas, you will be just fine in Nassau.

Now, my question is, is it OK to mount the bracket/holder against the lower grill? I bet F15 gets enough air through all other places, but still curious since there is lower rad behind it. At least I don't have to drill and it will still look much cleaner. (I still have the old white plates, they are the boss).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #31
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
<<video>> you could get this done at 212 motoring in Brooklyn ! If you like it
This is a perfect solution for California where they give a "fix it" ticket for non-repeat offenders.

Even if manual, this solution would work for CA. You get a fix it ticket, you pull it out, show another officer, fold it back in and hope not to be caught for another while.

I have not had one in my front cars for 45 years, and received one fix it ticket in the 80s in CA. And now that I have written this, I am going to get one tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #32
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Looks like wdimagineer is right, that flip out option wouldn't work for those of us that have the ACC which includes me.

I did go with the tow hook mounted option from US Millworks (http://www.usmillworks.com). They have one for the X5. I got the lightened version with the quick release. Works well for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #33
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Found: electric and manual. http://altecproducts.com/license-plate-frames/
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
StateFarm Sammy
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5, Mpsort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
Looks like wdimagineer is right, that flip out option wouldn't work for those of us that have the ACC which includes me.

I did go with the tow hook mounted option from US Millworks (http://www.usmillworks.com). They have one for the X5. I got the lightened version with the quick release. Works well for me.
Does that affect the sensors ?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #35
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wonder if it would be illegal to have the plate printed on clear adhesive film (like clear bra ), reduced in size, and pasted on the bumper. I have seen makeshift plates on back of bike racks and other small attachable that block the real plate. not sure if there is a size or official plate requirement somewhere in the code. I keep the original fronts with the spare.

I too have ACC and the actuator option would not work.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Quote:
...I did go with the tow hook mounted option from US Millworks. They have one for the X5. I got the lightened version with the quick release. Works well for me.
Ordered. Thank you for the link/info!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #37
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I wonder if it would be illegal to have the plate printed on clear adhesive film (like clear bra ), reduced in size, and pasted on the bumper. I have seen makeshift plates on back of bike racks and other small attachable that block the real plate. not sure if there is a size or official plate requirement somewhere in the code. I keep the original fronts with the spare.

I too have ACC and the actuator option would not work.
Many of my friends here have done that but I haven't had a chance to ask them if that actually works for them. I'm guessing no, but no official word yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilby View Post
Ordered. Thank you for the link/info!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateFarm Sammy View Post
Does that affect the sensors ?
I had to install it off center to ensure that the parking sensors are not covered. I originally covered it and the constant beeping drove me crazy. No further issues since I readjusted its location.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #38
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am exploring a magnetic DIY solution. But I won't get a chance to experiment until the 37th or 38th week of the year -that is my production week for the replacement F15 ;-)

Several good magnet sites on line that have all kinds of shapes and strengths. There is YouTube of a Tesla with removable magnetic connections. I ran across that in search.
      09-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #39
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
I am exploring a magnetic DIY solution. But I won't get a chance to experiment until the 37th or 38th week of the year -that is my production week for the replacement F15 ;-)

Several good magnet sites on line that have all kinds of shapes and strengths. There is YouTube of a Tesla with removable magnetic connections. I ran across that in search.
If you use this solution, do you have to put your plate in your pocket when you leave your car in public? [Sorry -- just going off of what of my little mind thinks a 'magnetic license plate holder' would be like, which I hope is TOTALLY different that the real solution]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #40
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
If you use this solution, do you have to put your plate in your pocket when you leave your car in public? [Sorry -- just going off of what of my little mind thinks a 'magnetic license plate holder' would be like, which I hope is TOTALLY different that the real solution]
As I was exploring magnets for this solution, I came across this:

With strong magnets from here http://www.kjmagnetics.com it can stay there permanently or removed at will.

Last edited by MattBianco; 09-05-2014 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

So, can we mount the plate on lower grill or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #42
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

And, right under our own nose: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387209 Some variations of this will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #43
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:

From your pictures the clearance of the plate from your bumper looks really tight...
How is the plate holding up? Has it scuffed your bumper yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #44
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep

I've had mine since last year and it's pretty strong. I tried pushing the bracket inwards to see if it moves at all. No evidence of that and there are no signs of scuffing on the bumper either. There's about one inch between the back of the bumper and the plate. I'll take a picture and share.
Appreciate 0