BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Specific 2015MY Question - Just Placed My Order

i ordered an xdrive 35i today - decided to wait a month to get into a 2015. while placing the order, there was considerable confusion regarding the availability of the leather dash in the mocha interior design package (ZMD). several salesmen were in disagreement over the wording in the 15my pricing guide and couldn't give me a final answer as to whether i would receive it in my order. the specific wording that had them puzzled was "ZMD will delete 4M5 from the order" (4M5 is the standalone leather dash option). however, also listed in the mocha interior design package is the following verbiage: "includes black nappa leather dashboard with contrast stitching". fyi, i also ordered the luxury seating package (ZLS) & the M-sport package (ZMM)

these two statements seem contradictory but the way i reconcile them is that the mocha interior design package includes the black nappa leather dashboard with contrast stitching and, therefore, will not allow the standalone leather dash option (4M5) to be added, which would double charge the customer for the leather dash. the main sales rep who actually controls the inventory for the dealership and places all of the orders insisted bmw had changed this for 2015 and i would not have the leather dash in my x5. it makes no sense to me, or my sales rep, that bmw would eliminate leather on the dash for one of the top interior packages.

any insight or knowledge from the experts here is greatly appreciated.

btw, i'll post exactly what i ordered later today. i'm super excited about getting my f15; it's so much more refined than my e70, which i really enjoyed.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
i ordered an xdrive 35i today - decided to wait a month to get into a 2015. while placing the order, there was considerable confusion regarding the availability of the leather dash in the mocha interior design package (ZMD). several salesmen were in disagreement over the wording in the 15my pricing guide and couldn't give me a final answer as to whether i would receive it in my order. the specific wording that had them puzzled was "ZMD will delete 4M5 from the order" (4M5 is the standalone leather dash option). however, also listed in the mocha interior design package is the following verbiage: "includes black nappa leather dashboard with contrast stitching". fyi, i also ordered the luxury seating package (ZLS) & the M-sport package (ZMM)

these two statements seem contradictory but the way i reconcile them is that the mocha interior design package includes the black nappa leather dashboard with contrast stitching and, therefore, will not allow the standalone leather dash option (4M5) to be added, which would double charge the customer for the leather dash. the main sales rep who actually controls the inventory for the dealership and places all of the orders insisted bmw had changed this for 2015 and i would not have the leather dash in my x5. it makes no sense to me, or my sales rep, that bmw would eliminate leather on the dash for one of the top interior packages.

any insight or knowledge from the experts here is greatly appreciated.

btw, i'll post exactly what i ordered later today. i'm super excited about getting my f15; it's so much more refined than my e70, which i really enjoyed.
Not sure this helps, but I have a '14 with the mocha package and it does, as expected, have a leather dash.

My head would explode if the mocha package lost the leather dash in '15. I'm reading it the same way you are, you can't add the leather dash with the mocha package because the mocha package supercedes the leather dash (it has that and more).

BTW, excellent choice, that's what I have in my '14 and it's very nice to look at! The leather dash is a huge upgrade from the standard, IMHO, and really sets the truck off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

thx, overtaxed. that's exactly i how feel & i told my rep that the leather dash was a major selling point for me. i asked the dealership to call bmwusa or the corporate office for clarification but they said it would be futile because "those guys never know that kind of stuff". i was dumbfounded by their lackadaisical approach & asked if they thought this kind of service & product expertise was acceptable for an $80k vehicle purchase...blank stares...mouths agape...nervous laugher...blink...blink. lol

to be fair, other than this one issue, the rest of the experience was fine & drama-free. however, i have zero confidence anyone will make the call next week, so i will call monday morning & report my findings in this thread for anyone interested.

anyone else have insight from the 2015my pricing guide?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Quote:
thx, overtaxed. that's exactly i how feel & i told my rep that the leather dash was a major selling point for me. i asked the dealership to call bmwusa or the corporate office for clarification but they said it would be futile because "those guys never know that kind of stuff". i was dumbfounded by their lackadaisical approach & asked if they thought this kind of service & product expertise was acceptable for an $80k vehicle purchase...blank stares...mouths agape...nervous laugher...blink...blink. lol

to be fair, other than this one issue, the rest of the experience was fine & drama-free. however, i have zero confidence anyone will make the call next week, so i will call monday morning & report my findings in this thread for anyone interested.

anyone else have insight from the 2015my pricing guide?
I am not 100% sure, but I guess you will get leather dash when you order Nappa package.

Even in the configurator, it shows leather dashboard when leather package is selected and it looks the same when you select the standalone option.

Hope it would be the same as I order leather package on mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

thx, karthik. i agree that the configurator shows leather on the dash with nappa and the mocha interior design package. however, the configurator is still setup for the 2014my & hasn't been updated to reflect changes to the 2015my.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

In always baffled at the fact this forum and it's great members know more than the sales crews working at BMW.

They really need to sharpen up their act. I was a in a local dealer recently and the rep tried convincing me that sports seats were the same as comfort seats.

Dire.
      07-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX
In always baffled at the fact this forum and it's great members know more than the sales crews working at BMW.

They really need to sharpen up their act. I was a in a local dealer recently and the rep tried convincing me that sports seats were the same as comfort seats.

Dire.
totally agree on both points. in fact, my rep actually recommended that i ask the question on this forum because "those guys typically know more than we do" (he really said that). what amazed me was that his admission didn't faze him at all. the lack of pride in ones work/product is surprising, especially for such a premium brand. i don't expect them to know everything, especially as a model year is transitioning, but at least demonstrate a passion for your product and a commitment to meeting a customer's needs. if you don't know the answer to a critical question in the ordering process, i would be perfectly fine with an admission that you don't know but you'll search until you find it.

i do appreciate this forum and the great contributions from its members!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

bumping ttt. has anyone else ordered a 15my with the mocha nappa & the interior design package? if so, what was your dealership's pov on the leather dash?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Predsboro71
Rep
Drives: 2001 X5 / 2005 Z4

according to the ordering guide my adviser used, leather dash not available with mocha.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
M3Gator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan
bumping ttt. has anyone else ordered a 15my with the mocha nappa & the interior design package? if so, what was your dealership's pov on the leather dash?
I just placed my order for my'15 with Mocha Nappa Design Package. I specifically asked my SA the same question, and he assured me it includes the leather stitched dash. It's confusing cuz they raised the base price on my'15's, but lowered the price for the Mocha Nappa Design Package. You would assume we would get less for less $. He even e-mailed me a copy of the package with included items and leather dash was in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #11
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

I am a CA at a BMW dealer. The Mocha or Ivory White Interior Design Package does include the leather dashboard with contrast stitching. It is clearly written on the ordering guide. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #12
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro71 View Post
according to the ordering guide my adviser used, leather dash not available with mocha.
Your advisor might have confused with mocha dakota as leather dash will not come with dakota.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
M3Gator
Private
United_States
Rep

This is what my SA sent me.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3Gator; 07-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Forgot Pic
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Gator View Post
This is what my SA sent me.
don't see anything, gator. what did you post?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

thank for the replies, everyone! i was too busy at the office to call bmw na monday but i did call today and spoke with paul. he wasn't confident enough to give me an answer immediately but committed to followup with me over the next 3-5 days. while i'm pleased he committed to get back to me with an answer, it seems ridiculous that a basic product question cannot be answered more quickly/easily.

paul also mentioned that he would contact the dealer to find out why they didn't utilize the resources they have in place to deal with issues similar to this one. this will get interesting if my order goes into production before i receive a definitive answer, negating my ability to change my order. i would prefer to avoid forgoing my current allocation and starting over.

more to come and thanks again for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
M3Gator
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't see anything, gator. what did you post?
Sorry about that. I just attached the photo to my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

I would guarantee the leather dash is included.

The only thing the CA's are passionate about at our dealership David is $$$$$$$$$$ LOL. I always know more than they do when I go in. A lot of times they ask me questions.

My concern with the leather dash is how it will hold up with the sun? Leather doesn't take much to dry and crack and I'm not sure I want to be soaking it with conditioner everyday. Can anyone chime in with the leather dash appearance after 4 or 5 years?
      07-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post

The only thing the CA's are passionate about at our dealership David is $$$$$$$$$$ LOL. I always know more than they do when I go in. A lot of times they ask me questions.

My concern with the leather dash is how it will hold up with the sun? Leather doesn't take much to dry and crack and I'm not sure I want to be soaking it with conditioner everyday. Can anyone chime in with the leather dash appearance after 4 or 5 years?
The leather dash in my Jag is 3 years old now and still looks great (and this is in the South Florida sun). I would think that with a little care, it should last a good long time.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post

We've had a few 7's with leather dashes on our lot that were a few years old and they were still in pretty good shape and showed no signs of wear from the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

following up, as promised. paul with bmwna called me back but couldn't give me a straight answer & referred me back to the dealer with the recommendation to speak with the regional rep.

the regional rep stated that he believed my combination would include a black leather dash with contrasting stitching, but he wanted to definitively confirm it & promised to get back to me by saturday.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
GTAbimmerowner
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d M Sport

Be thankful you even have this issue. BMW Canada has removed Nappa leather , seats or dashboard, as options on the 2015 X5's due to a lack of demand.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #22
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

So no more Nappa leather dashboard option in Canada?
Appreciate 0