BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Johnhanson
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I posted a couple months ago regarding the noise my OEM roof rack was making. I got some great suggestions about rack location and tried about 10-20 different front and rear positions. While I got a little improvement it was still fairly loud, even audible with the sun shade closed if there was a strong cross winds. Wind noise would even start around 70-80kph. Also a noticeable dip in fuel efficiency on the diesel with bars only.

I originally wanted the whispbar system when I got the car, but the fit kit was hard to find as it was still relatively new to market. I got the OEMs as a stopgap, but after a year wasn't sure if it was worth going from a $300 system to a $800 system just for a little wind noise.

Well it is.

There is zero wind noise with the whispbar. Sunshade closed, sunshade open, sunroof vented, sunroof open. Amazing. No noticeable drag or drop in fuel efficiency. Less noise when I have my Yakima LoPro on as well. It also sits 1/2 inch lower and looks better - I'll include a pic when I get home from work today. This helps me particularly as I only have less than an inch of clearance in my garage when my box is on - any snow outside and I'll hit the door. The whispbar has a slight arch and is much lower profile. It did take about 30 mins to set up the fit kit - but it sits on the car well and actually feels more secure than the OEM bars. It would take a little more time to remove them than the OEM bars (Alan key vs knob), but with zero noise and a better look they are there to stay.

Anyone who is even mildly annoyed by their OEM bars - noise and/or even look - do yourself a favour and get a whispbar. Just amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I just read some article the other day - people who leave their roof racks on waste 100 million gallons of fuel/year on the US - seems the wispbar helps with that from what you are seeing.

What was the noticeable dip in fuel economy you saw? Even 2 mpg drop is $200 a year if you drive 15k miles, so the wispbars would pay for themselves eventually!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Yeah there are still people running ski racks on their roofs. I noticed 3 mpg decrease with them on so don't use them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I just read some article the other day - people who leave their roof racks on waste 100 million gallons of fuel/year on the US - seems the wispbar helps with that from what you are seeing.

What was the noticeable dip in fuel economy you saw? Even 2 mpg drop is $200 a year if you drive 15k miles, so the wispbars would pay for themselves eventually!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/
Yeah I just read that on another site right after I posted. Had a good laugh.

Honestly ball park right now is actually about 5%. Which seems insane for just bars. I've been getting 10.5L/100 combined driving now and just over 8 highway which I would get with no bars. OEM bars were around 11 combined and 8.5-9 highway depending on speed (generally fast). I really feel the difference in how my cars drive with little modification - summer/winter tires, even spacers - and I could certainly feel the drag of the OEM bars. There is none with the whispbar. I have yet to do a long highway trip with them but so far a very noticeable difference objectively and subjectively.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Would like to see pics!

Which model of Whispbar did you get exactly?
Did you buy direct from them or someone else?
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Would like to see pics!

I bought the flush bars. Got it online shipped from one of the rack shops in Edmonton. Same list price as direct from Whispbar but free shipping. I'll post up some pics this afternoon. If you're at all debating racks - this one is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhanson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Would like to see pics!

I bought the flush bars. Got it online shipped from one of the rack shops in Edmonton. Same list price as direct from Whispbar but free shipping. I'll post up some pics this afternoon. If you're at all debating racks - this one is amazing.
Here's some pics with the whispbars
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Here's OEM (with 19in winters on) on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Pics...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      05-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
Johnhanson
Private
Rep

Sorry. Just a straight side view after adjusting positions.

Some further thoughts as well:
Definite mpg improvement with the box on as well. Also far less noise - can drive around town and the highway with the sunshade and even the sun roof open with barely any more noise - but really, who needs the sunroof open with a box on.

Adjustment of the bars is actually far easier than the OEM bars. Granted you need to keep the hex key in the car, but it's much easier to move the bars as the rubber "holder arms" don't stick to the roof rails like the OEM bars. Waaaaaay easier to adjust or remove/install vs OEM. However since they look good and make zero sound I'll be leaving them on probably permanently.

Seriously nobody should ever buy OEM bars!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ALJ216.50
      05-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

They look great. Nice to see they're compatible with the flush roof rails again. I had a set of whisbars from our '11 X3 that were not compatible/recommended for the F15. I needed to replace a part and ended up getting them to refund my money (2 years after purchase) once I was told they were no longer supported on flush rails, and replaced them with the aero dynamic Thules instead. They're quiet too, but not as quiet as the whisbars.

Side note, your pics are making me regret the through bars I got. I need the extra space the through bars give you, but man, the flush bars look so much cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #13
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

Question for you guys. I have BMW bars on my F30 to take the BMW roof box when we do longer trips. The BMW box has the t-bolts that slide into the racks from the sides. It's not like the Thule or Yakima boxes I have had in the past that clamp onto/around the bar. There is a groove in the top of the bar that the roof box slides in to.

We have our F15 ordered and I am planning on using the same BMW roof box. Am I committed to BMW bars for the F15 or are the Whispbar and Thule racks compatible with the 'slide in" roof box? I can post pics but I think you all know what I am talking about.