BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
skinsfanin1979
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Issues pairing garage opener with 2014 BMW X5

My attempt to try and pair my car to my garage opener has been exhausting.

I have a Sommer garage opener (highly rated and Made in Germany since they have great engineers, right? )

http://www.amazon.com/SOMMER-Direct-...drive+1042v001

So all methods to pair do not seem to work. When I try and use an existing remote to pair to the rear view mirror it looks like it pairs successfully however it still won't open (led lights flash rapidly so it looks like the code took). I read in another thread to purchase this universal remote here and then pair to the car:

http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-KL...ilpage_o00_s00

But I am not able to pair the universal remote to the Sommer garage opener so didn't even get the chance to try that on my car. At this point I am pretty fed up with this whole system. Either the garage opener or car COULD have an issue however I have three other cars which pair just fine to the unit.

One point I am still confused regarding is what unit is in our cars? It isn't Homelink (or at least on the Homelink website, 2013 is the last model year). I have found following instructions on their site has worked for my other cars (press down all three buttons in the car to clear code and then pair).

Any one able to give me one other option before I either take it to the dealer to have them make sure the unit is OK or something else?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Gonna assume your garage opener has rolling code technology. If so after pairing the X5 transmitter with your remote, there is an additional step where you have to press a button on the garage door opener itself to complete the process. Take a look at your garage door opener's manual on the pairing process.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Most garage units have rolling codes now. Otherwise someone can just sit by and sniff out your garage door remote signal and break into your garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

It has "Secure Rolling Code Technology, 310 MHz." You have to use learn function.
Appreciate 0