BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Driving Assistant Plus - Beep Beep?

So my X5 has the driving assistant plus along with lane keep and blind spot warning.
I never had to experience it until today... car in front of me break suddenly and all I saw was a RED Symbol in my hud but no beeping, no breaking and nothing.
Is it suppose to? My Toyota would have loud beep and attempt to break for me.
No collision but was close one

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
BMWSRT
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I know it's pretty useless without an audible alert or automatic stopping. If you don't have HUD (I don't) red light appears between gauges which means my eyes are not on road but looking down....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Dirty Cash
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15.50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
So my X5 has the driving assistant plus along with lane keep and blind spot warning.
I never had to experience it until today... car in front of me break suddenly and all I saw was a RED Symbol in my hud but no beeping, no breaking and nothing.
If I'm correct, you'd have to also have ACC Stop & Go for the X5 to apply the brakes for you. However, I believe that the X5 has a braking assist feature that will apply full braking power even if the driver doesn't in cases of potential accidents.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Cash View Post
If I'm correct, you'd have to also have ACC Stop & Go for the X5 to apply the brakes for you. However, I believe that the X5 has a braking assist feature that will apply full braking power even if the driver doesn't in cases of potential accidents.
Ummm, I think your two statements contradict one another.

OP - it sounds like you wanted the ACC Stop and Go function - that is an additional option within the Driving Assistance Plus Package.
Attached Images

Last edited by Apple Corps; 07-03-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      07-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Mine only beeps over a certain speed (I think +30mph). The red warning symbol comes on both the HUD and the digital dash display. I have only experienced the automatic braking once in a very near miss and this was very severe braking which surprised me.
I have the driving assistant plus.
      07-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

it's beep first and as soon as you GENTLY touch brake pedal , it pulls hard safety belt and smashed brake pedal and your car stops in ONE inch in front of rear bumper .

It happens to me twice .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Dirty Cash
USAF Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15.50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
Ummm, I think your two statements contradict one another.

OP - it sounds like you wanted the ACC Stop and Go function - that is an additional option within the Driving Assistance Plus Package.
Umm...they don't.

I'm speaking of Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) or Brake Assist (BA or BAS). This occurs when the vehicles safety features apply full pressure to the brakes (more pressure than what the driver applies) in a situation it has deemed as necessary to prevent or at least mitigate an accident.

Brakes are not applied for you (as they would be w/ACC & DAP+) but additional force is applied automatically (only after the driver has applied some brake pressure). I've read on "other forums" and sites where the brakes are only "primed" and not actually "applied" for you.

Last edited by Dirty Cash; 07-03-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

Ummm - I think they do. The context of the OP's issue is the X5 braking automatically when a collision is likely.

You stated "I believe that the X5 has a braking assist feature that will apply full braking power even if the driver doesn't in cases of potential accidents."

The X5 will not apply any braking unless the driver applies pressure first - that is the context.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post
This is a great discussion about automatic brake application. I'm still unclear if a vehicle without ACC will stop itself or only prime the brakes?

However, in the OPs situation, the system may have worked correctly. Visual and audible warnings depend on how close you are to the vehicle in front of you and your closure rate. For example, if you are tailgating someone (ie. very low closure rate) you will only get the visual warning. But, if the closure rate is higher and the system thinks an accident is imminent (someone merges in front of you and slams the brakes or you are approaching slower moving traffic and not slowing down) you will get both visual and aural warnings. I have noticed that if I'm already braking or at least slowing down, I tend to not get the aural warning. There is also a sensitivity setting in the iDrive, but I've never noticed a difference when I change it.
      07-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

I don't have Acc or Drivers assist+. I only have basic drivers assist. It seems to only show red in HUD and odometer area only when you're quickly approaching the car in front.

The 2 times that it beeped was when it came to a screeching halt. From what I have noticed so far, and to affirm what others have said, is that basic DAA will emergency stop if a bit of pressure on the brakes are applied. I don't want to test whether or not it would apply even if I don't lightly apply.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

With no ACC the car won't stop for you at highway speeds but it will put the brakes on a hair trigger and 'prime' them to give you more braking force than you would normally get for any given press of the pedal while the red car icon is on.

That said, I do think DAP+ comes with city assist. In this case, the car will automatically apply the brakes and stop the car if it senses something in front as long as you're going 25 mph or slower (or something close to that speed).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
cipherx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i (F15)

O.K.We are taking about 2 options, which are Driving Assistant (5AS) and Driving Assistant Plus (5AT).

This is how Driving Assistant works:

The Driving Assistant package combines Lane Departure Warning and approach control and person warning with light city braking function.

The Lane Departure Warning detects lane markings and alerts the driver to an unintentional lane change at speeds above approx. 70 km/h by means of vibrations in the steering wheel. The warning is not activated if the lane change is deliberate, that is, when the indicator has been activated.

Whereas the approach control warning with light city braking function detects vehicles, the person warning with light city braking function reacts to pedestrians. If a vehicle ahead brakes heavily, the BMW responds immediately when the approach control warning is activated. The system operates in steps. A warning symbol is first displayed, then the symbol begins flashing and an acoustic warning is emitted, and finally the brakes are lightly applied (when travelling at speeds under 60 km/h). The person warning operates at speeds between 10 and 60 km/h and emits a single-level warning in the event of acute danger. If the system warns of a potential collision, the brakes are simultaneously preconditioned for a faster response. In the event of an emergency, the system applies the brakes.

To enable the functions:

As you may have noticed, Driving Assistant is camera based.It can be limited by darkness and fog.

Driving Assistant Plus, however, is camera- and radar-based system consists of Driving Assistant and ACC-Stop&Go function.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
cipherx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
With no ACC the car won't stop for you at highway speeds but it will put the brakes on a hair trigger and 'prime' them to give you more braking force than you would normally get for any given press of the pedal while the red car icon is on.

That said, I do think DAP+ comes with city assist. In this case, the car will automatically apply the brakes and stop the car if it senses something in front as long as you're going 25 mph or slower (or something close to that speed).

In terms of warnings(vehicle/person)with light city braking function, DA and DA+ work in same way, except that DA+ uses radar and camera to detect objects. DA is merely camera based. And both DA and DA+ can apply brakes for you and even make a complete stop in case that the ojbect is detected as person and the system identifies the situation is an emergency.

Last edited by cipherx; 07-05-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherx View Post
In terms of warnings(vehicle/person)with light city braking function, DA and DA+ work in same way, except that DA+ uses radar and camera to detect objects. DA is merely camera based. And both DA and DA+ can apply brakes for you and even make a complete stop in case that the ojbect is detected as person and the system identifies the situation is an emergency.
Can confirm.
I have DA (not DA+) and it applies brake for pedestrians.

To test the DA beeps, put your vehicle in neutral, and tap the gas slightly as you approach a stopped vehicle, making sure you don't have anyone behind you. The lights and sounds go off, the moment you tap the brake, the X5 comes to an instant halt. This is only if you have a solid beep (or near solid, very fast) and flashing red light. The brake will not be instant if you don't have that high speed beep and flashing red light. I forgot if the beep ever goes continuous or not.
      07-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #16
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Mine only beeps over a certain speed (I think +30mph). The red warning symbol comes on both the HUD and the digital dash display. I have only experienced the automatic braking once in a very near miss and this was very severe braking which surprised me.
I have the driving assistant plus.
I had a very near miss tonight nearly running into the back of someone who stopped abruptly with the screech of tyres
I can confirm that in addition to the above I mentioned, the hazard warning lights also come on.