BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #2949
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Jealous. I would love a 5series Touring here... sadly US/NAR always gets stiffed on the "cool" products.
Always makes me giggle when I read this. The US *had* the 5-series Touring, but no one bought them. There's the 3-series Touring now, and no one is buying those either. So BMW made the right decision, and stopped bringing them over here. The 3-series Touring will be pulled also.

So if you want an estate, your only option is the E-class right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #2950
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Not " no one "... just not enough. I owned an F31, I owned B6 and B7 S4 Avant. I owned a B8 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line+ among other "hot hatch" vehicles that were plenty fun to drive and practical. I buy wagons, and highly optioned ones at that... but it seems very little find interest in these vehicles in the US/NAR. As far as the MB goes... I don't like the plain jane e-class but I am heavily considering an E63 wagon 4matic.

I believe a major part of the issue is from the lack of marketing. Most people aren't even aware a wagon/touring exist and most certainly didn't even know what the hell an S4 Avant was until they see it on the street and even then they just assumed it was a sporty A4. Market them properly and they would see better results. A performance vehicle that handles well but has the practicality of an suv without the costs or the headache of driving something that large in an urban or semi-suburban area are all bullet points worth noting and on top of it at least have one wagon in the showroom. You look at the 3series wagon and then look at the X1 or the X4 and you'll say "damn, that is one striking vehicle!" and you have more space with a better interior over the x1.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #2951
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast
Not " no one "... just not enough. I owned an F31, I owned B6 and B7 S4 Avant. I owned a B8 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line+ among other "hot hatch" vehicles that were plenty fun to drive and practical. I buy wagons, and highly optioned ones at that... but it seems very little find interest in these vehicles in the US/NAR. As far as the MB goes... I don't like the plain jane e-class but I am heavily considering an E63 wagon 4matic.

I believe a major part of the issue is from the lack of marketing. Most people aren't even aware a wagon/touring exist and most certainly didn't even know what the hell an S4 Avant was until they see it on the street and even then they just assumed it was a sporty A4. Market them properly and they would see better results. A performance vehicle that handles well but has the practicality of an suv without the costs or the headache of driving something that large in an urban or semi-suburban area are all bullet points worth noting and on top of it at least have one wagon in the showroom. You look at the 3series wagon and then look at the X1 or the X4 and you'll say "damn, that is one striking vehicle!" and you have more space with a better interior over the x1.
I love my 5 series Touring......
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #2952
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i would love it too. enjoy and good luck with it.

this just looks so damn good:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #2953
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

Problem is, many Americans (outside of the enthusiasts) don't like station wagons.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 12:47 AM   #2954
Ricsuaq
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Problem is, many Americans (outside of the enthusiasts) don't like station wagons.
Once upon a time, hatchbacks weren't popular in America either. Now, I see them quite often. Hopefully the same thing will happen with station wagons.

I wonder if people don't like station wagons because it reminds them of their youth ala National Lampoon.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:10 AM   #2955
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

That was the theory put forth ages ago... The next generation was tired of the station wagons of the 70's because they did not want the vehicle their parents drove... so the birth and boom of the suv took place... now the next generation doesn't want the vehicles their parents had because they're "uncool" and wasteful... so hopefully the trend shifts back to wagons because I would love there to be more. An RS4 or RS6 Avant or B5 Alpina would probably be the perfect car for me and something I would keep for some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #2956
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I wanted a 5-series wagon but was disappointed realizing they didn't have them. Then I looked at E-Class wagon, but they only offer E350 and E63 flavors. I wanted something in between. Finally decided to get an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #2957
WheelsBoutique
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

The things I'd do to get a customer with a proper wagon and the desire for HRE's
      08-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #2958
Deep Powder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 40d

So this finally leads me to my first post....off topic but next week my X5 is scheduled for build and the Touring goes.....

Great thread, great pictures and great input, keep it coming.
Attached Images

Last edited by Deep Powder; 08-26-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #2959
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Powder View Post
So this finally leads me to my first post....off topic but next week my X5 is scheduled for build and the Touring goes.....

Welcome aboard!
      08-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #2960
Deep Powder
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Welcome aboard!
Finally! Thnx
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #2961
athanyel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive45e

I guess I'm the odd man (kid?) out that I like SUVs way more than wagons. I don't much like being low to the ground or having to fold my rather large frame into seat of most sedans (or the wagon variants of the sedans).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #2962
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanyel View Post
I guess I'm the odd man (kid?) out that I like SUVs way more than wagons. I don't much like being low to the ground or having to fold my rather large frame into seat of most sedans (or the wagon variants of the sedans).
+1 SUV lover here. I used to drive a sporty sedan so it sat lower than the base version, and I'd damage the front bumper everywhere: parking blocks, going over dips, exiting steep exits, rock chips from freeway drives, etc. With an SUV, those worries are no more.
      08-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #2963
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanyel View Post
My folks love SUVs. They've just about stopped buying sedans and could care less about sport cars. Just SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #2964
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Powder View Post

A Happy Swede! Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #2965
Deep Powder
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
A Happy Swede! Welcome.
Yes, for a good reason Thnx
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 04:06 AM   #2966
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Powder

Not sure that wagon/Touring/estate is clean enough......

Welcome.

On a separate note...."Wagon" is such a terrible description for an estate car, you Americans sure know how to kill a brand. A wagon is what the cowboys used to cross the prairie way back when the west was wild........

Just sayin.....
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #2967
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Wagons have a negative image here in the USA, born of wagons like the fake wood paneled Ford type wagon of the 1970's people were embarrassed to be driving.

These camping soccer mom Kid haulers were replaced by the minivan made famous by Chrysler. They looked pretty decent and were packed to the brink with family/kid features galore, second row captains chairs, a 3rd row seat people could actually get to and sit in, sliding side doors eventually power open/close sliding side doors and rear hatches, super comfortable on long trips.

Lastly they could haul about 2 truck bed loads of gear the things were massive inside. The 2nd and 3rd row seats could be removed, and later just folded into the floor. You could haul a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood in the things.

Hence I don't think wagons will become popular here when you can still buy one of these minivans.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #2968
WheelsBoutique
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I love the different names that automakers come up with to replace the word "wagon".

BMW - Touring
Mercedes - Estate
Audi - Avant
Saab - SportCombi
Cadillac - Sport Wagon

Am I forgetting any?
      08-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #2969
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Volvo v70 Cross Country
Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsBoutique View Post
I love the different names that automakers come up with to replace the word "wagon".

BMW - Touring
Mercedes - Estate
Audi - Avant
Saab - SportCombi
Cadillac - Sport Wagon

Am I forgetting any?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #2970
Deep Powder
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsBoutique View Post

BMW - Touring
Mercedes - Estate
Audi - Avant
Saab - SportCombi
Cadillac - Sport Wagon

Am I forgetting any?
Mercedes Shooting Brake
Jaguar Sportbrake
Appreciate 0