BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

F15/16 X5/X6 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Now Available!

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is now available for the F15/16 X5/X6 (3.5 & 5.0)!

With a maximum performance gain of 77HP and 81 lb-ft of torque on the 35i (73 HP and 67 lb-ft on the 50i) you can combine the versatility and luxury of your current X5/X6 with increased usable power from Dinan for the ultimate package. Coupled with Dinan's signature factory matching new car 4yr/50k warranty it's a great addition for a new car.

Please consult our website for pricing and any other specifications. You can also review the performance graphs below and let us know if you have any questions.

X5/X6 35i
Name:  X5_35i_Stage1_LR.jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  138.0 KB

X5/X6 50i
Name:  X5_50i_Stage1_LR.jpg
Views: 4939
Size:  141.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Any plans for a tune for the 35d?
      12-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

How much? Super over priced again
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Any plans for a tune for the 35d?
Historically Dinan has never given much thought to Diesel applications but this past generation we have had enough interest and inquiries on diesel models that it has at least been noticed by those in charge. While nothing absolutely definitive has been started I believe there is a distinct possibility that some diesel development may be forthcoming. The company stance up to this point however has always been that we are going to complete the regular gasoline lineup first and then re-access after that. We are closing in on completing all the gasoline lineup of vehicles by January/February 2015 it appears so a definitive answer should be forthcoming after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Not cheap

http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1209/

http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1210/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Holy sticker shock

Then again it is Dinan and warranty stays in tact
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

A lot of us have installed the BMS 50i Tune. How is your Tuner different from the competition?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
A lot of us have installed the BMS 50i Tune. How is your Tuner different from the competition?
I'm wondering the same thing too. Are these also as easy to install as well or difficult like the package from Racelogic?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic80 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing too. Are these also as easy to install as well or difficult like the package from Racelogic?
Installation: Relatively easy to install--- not simply plugging into a couple sensors easy, but not exactly difficult. Not sure what the package from Racelogic entails so I can't comment on that comparison. Our system plugs directly into the factory ECU(s) so we have direct access to all necessary signals coming and going from the factory ECU and has an elaborate (in comparison to other systems we have seen on the market) harness system w/ OE plugs that is run around the engine compartment so that the look, feel, and finish is identical to all other components within the engine bay. If desired I can supply a bunch of harness shots but they can be found on the website as well.

Dinan Differences: One of the largest differences between a Dinan tune and most others is that we don't CREATE faults/codes so there is no reason to integrate the functionality to clear them. Just like software in previous generations we are after factory like drivability just with more 'oomph' and full integration with BMW parts and software is paramount in accomplishing that. Most other tunes rely on targeting specific signals related to boost pressure and alter those specific signals ONLY, thereby setting off codes/faults and letting the factory ECU adjust every other related parameter accordingly. We would argue that this 'reactive' adjustment hinders the drivability of a BMW that they are known for. While drivability is a subjective term a smooth delivery of increased power throughout the RPM range is nearly always the first comment someone who drives a Dinan vehicle mentions and in essence is what drivability is all about. Usable power with no hiccups, stutters, lurches or anything of that sort; just smooth power that seemingly keeps going. While the 'reactive' method works the fact remains that we see drivability suffering in addition to codes/faults constantly being set and then cleared so no CEL is given even though there is one. This is unacceptable to Dinan as it is basically skirting factory safeguards that has been put in place by BMW. Dinan on the other hand takes a 'proactive' approach and looks at / or interfaces with all related signals so no faults/codes are ever set so that the previously mentioned drivability can be given. This also ensures no CEL's will be given (visible or hidden) and the factory safeguards are still in place and usable.

The other major difference is of course warranty. It is what Dinan is known for and we are still the ONLY aftermarket tuner that offers a BMW factory matching 4yr/50k new car warranty. We stand behind our engineering and our products and are comfortable enough to warrant our products and any harm, should it occur, to your vehicle related to the Dinan tune. This way there is peace of mind knowing that if something does happen, you are still covered by either BMW or Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

There apparently are two versions available. The one from BMS is super easy to install taking less than 5 minutes because it plugs into the MAFs on top but the ones from Racelogic apparently requires that you install them to another set of I assume MAF's down below. Opasha would be able to better explain since he has that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

What are the new boost levels with your tune (vs stock)? Particularly interested in the max figures and the delta from stock at those levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

I was told that 35d was forthcoming in early 2015 when contacting Dinan directly.

Do you have any additional information other than the notes above regarding gas engines being near complete.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
I was told that 35d was forthcoming in early 2015 when contacting Dinan directly.
That is what we had been told in the past but until I see a diesel vehicle in the shop being worked on I personally will acknowledge a "for sure" existence of the product.

Quote:
Do you have any additional information other than the notes above regarding gas engines being near complete.
The only gasoline cars we have yet to finish a tune for are the remainder of the "X" line (X1, X3, and X4), the "Z" line, and the F30 320i. Technically there is also the hybrid models but I am unsure if we plan on tackling them or not as they have never been explicitly discussed. Regardless, the remaining X and Z models we are hopeful to release before Christmas but depending on production may be early in January (the holidays are horrible for future planning). The 320i tune would be shortly thereafter...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
bluelodge400
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M-C, '19 Cayenne Turbo

Thank you for the earlier explanation.

Is DINAN working on a air intake for the 50i?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelodge400 View Post
Is DINAN working on a air intake for the 50i?
We are currently looking for a local 50i that we can have access too for longer then a day or 2 at a time so that we can develop/test fit various pieces for the 50i. I do not believe an intake was an item on that list but then again the lists from engineering are in a constant state of flux so it may have been added recently. If history was any indication though I wouldn't count on an intake for the 50i from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
batmanken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i Msport

I'm looking for a stage 1 tune for my car but that's way too much. lot of other modification stuff you can do for that price.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I'm content with my RaceChip TB Ultimate at $604. 507hp/564 lb/ft torque is enough for me.
      12-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

any plans to sell it in Europe?
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
any plans to sell it in Europe?
We can send pre-programmed units anywhere in the world. Just need to call in to the sales department and they can get the process started if interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
@Dinan_Engineering -- Thanks for the info! Just wondering if you have any solution for customer who lease their cars. Can we remove and sell this tune like BMS or Racechip before returning car back at the end of the lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Historically Dinan has never given much thought to Diesel applications but this past generation we have had enough interest and inquiries on diesel models that it has at least been noticed by those in charge. While nothing absolutely definitive has been started I believe there is a distinct possibility that some diesel development may be forthcoming. The company stance up to this point however has always been that we are going to complete the regular gasoline lineup first and then re-access after that. We are closing in on completing all the gasoline lineup of vehicles by January/February 2015 it appears so a definitive answer should be forthcoming after that.
I would say us diesel owners need to blast Dinan's inbox with requests. Maybe this will get their attention...
      12-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
@Dinan_Engineering -- Thanks for the info! Just wondering if you have any solution for customer who lease their cars. Can we remove and sell this tune like BMS or Racechip before returning car back at the end of the lease?
The tune can be removed at lease trade-in just like other vendors.

Yes/No on the reselling the tune. Unlike other vendors we have a different process and different factors we need to take into account on our tuning solution (such as warranty). Since one of Dinan's unique qualities is being tied into the dealership base and making it as easy as possible for them to stock and sell units we have split the DINANTRONICS system into 3 parts; the Dinan ECU, the wiring harness and the software itself. This way the dealer is able to program any car that may come in with a limited number of parts on the shelf.

The Dinan ECU is a blank box by default and is universal amongst all applications. There are 4 different wiring harnesses (4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, M3/M4, and 8 cylinder), and then there is the unique software for each model of vehicle. So what that means is that the only piece that is guaranteed to be able to be re-used is the Dinan ECU. so depending on who you are selling or transferring to there are many different scenarios. They are in no particular order:

1.) You have an F15 X5 50i and you sell it to another F15 X5 50i user. For all practical purposes it will work fine (This assumes the harness doesn't need to be replaced or anything and is still in good re-sellable shape). The one caveat is the new vehicle will have NO warranty since the software installed on that box is tied to the original vehicle, NOT the new one.
2.) Same as above but the new owner wants a warranty. They would have to send the original ECU back to be scrubbed of the old software and then purchase what equates to a new license of software that would be tied to the new vehicle with warranty.
3.) Sell to some random guy who wants DINANTRONICS on his totally unrelated car. The ECU will transfer again but need to be scrubbed and new software installed. The harness depending on application may be transferred; just depends on the new application as their are 4 different harness styles. In this scenario the only cost savings potentially could just be on the ECU where the harness and the software would still have to be transferred.

It's a bit convoluted hence the yes/no answer.
Appreciate 0