VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Downpipe with Flex Pipe vs Non

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've been looking at downpipes for a while now and I currently have the Akrapovic system installed and I love the louder grunt but wouldn't mind some extra sound and better performance going cat-less. Now I've noticed many brands happen to have a flex pipe on the down pipe similar to our stock DP's with cats. However only one brand which is ER's downpipes does not happen to have it.

Considering that the price of the ER downpipes are significantly lower compared to the others, what would be the need of the flex pipe. My only assumption was that the flex pipe would allow for better fitment or if the engine and exhaust move under full load that it would not cause any damage to the turbos and or exhaust after long term use do to it not being able to move.

For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about its the part in the downpipes that has mesh or in eisenmanns case the ribbed cylinder.

If anyone has experience and wouldn't mind explaining I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
I've been looking at downpipes for a while now and I currently have the Akrapovic system installed and I love the louder grunt but wouldn't mind some extra sound and better performance going cat-less. Now I've noticed many brands happen to have a flex pipe on the down pipe similar to our stock DP's with cats. However only one brand which is ER's downpipes does not happen to have it.

Considering that the price of the ER downpipes are significantly lower compared to the others, what would be the need of the flex pipe. My only assumption was that the flex pipe would allow for better fitment or if the engine and exhaust move under full load that it would not cause any damage to the turbos and or exhaust after long term use do to it not being able to move.

For those of you who dont know what I'm talking about its the part in the downpipes that has mesh or in eisenmanns case the ribbed cylinder.

If anyone has experience and wouldn't mind explaining I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
On the V8, the downpipe is on the middle of the engine and the engines is moving side to side not front to back.
Also, stock original downpipe doesn't have a flex pipe. So in this case, a flex pipe doesn't give you any benefit but downside since flex pipe inner side is not smooth.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Thanks for the reply. I guess I saw the wrong downpipe in regards to the stock DP. I'll have to investigate a bit more and make sure that the ER's are the way to go for me. I just want to make sure that I'll have peace of mind knowing that everything is functioning as intended and I won't be running into any future issues. I hate having to modify the same thing twice.