BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

How to properly Drive / Race X5M?

Ok it sounds silly but really... what would be the proper way?
Giving the fact that i have M2 setup as level 3 shifting, sport everything and DSC off.

-When launching, how many second do you have to alter the launch RPM and is it only by pushing up and down the cruise control button?

-After you launch, do you shift gears or does the car do the shifting?

-When you shift gears (with the M HUD Visible) do you shift where it gets to the end of the yellow dash or way up to the red Dash? (the reason i ask is because once i get to the second red dash and shift i feel that the turbos are lagging.

-Can you switch to D mode after you launch while the car is in 1st gear?

What would be your preferred rpm, gear and speed if you are racing from a roll?

Last edited by LBBX5M; 06-13-2016 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

You can not alter launch rpm.

Your choice auto or manual. Whichever floats your boat.

You'll have to experiment when to pull the lever to get the proper rpm. Looking at the dyno sheets 6500ish is close.

I wouldn't try to shift to D at wot. Have it where you want it before you launch.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
imahobo
Private
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 991TT

My $.02 is to let the vehicle do the shifting if you're running from a dead stop. It's hard to beat the launch control and the perfect shifts each time, especially with so many gears.
When I punch it from my current speed (I'm in M2 with the same settings you're using), I pull back on the downshift paddle several times. The car will downshift to the lowest possible gear, ensuring you're deep in the power band. It obviously won't allow you to shift to a gear which is too low for your speed.
Coming out of an E70 X5M, the F85 has a different transmission feel with the 8-speed over the 6. It's harder to gauge the most powerful gear using the old-fashioned methods of engine sound or speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

I have found that you have to "teach" the X5 that you are wanting to race.

1. In automatic, with vehicle at running temperature and from a dead stop, the X5 did not go all the way to red line under WOT.
2. Going to manual shift, and after two hard launches, I usually shift when the display is high yellow. Waiting to get into the red sometimes will engage the vehicles protection to over-rev.
3. The next time I ran WOT in automatic and the vehicle is now shifting at red line.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post
I have found that you have to "teach" the X5 that you are wanting to race.

1. In automatic, with vehicle at running temperature and from a dead stop, the X5 did not go all the way to red line under WOT.
2. Going to manual shift, and after two hard launches, I usually shift when the display is high yellow. Waiting to get into the red sometimes will engage the vehicles protection to over-rev.
3. The next time I ran WOT in automatic and the vehicle is now shifting at red line.
Interesting....
I wish if there was a video of an X5M F85 launching and someone to show how to shift it properly... I am sure it will be a hit on YouTube.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      06-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

yea, i'm fairly sure you can't go over redline as there is a limiter in place (it's not the turbos lagging that you're feeling - there's nil lag at RPMs that high). I know I've hit it. I know some of the tunes can raise the limiter slightly, but I'm pretty sure the limiter is in place to keep one of us from accidentally blowing the car up...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

do you think I can get boost, rpm, speed reading and maybe we can tell if there is a lag? because I am sure the feeling I am getting feels like a lag in the turbo preformance like a second for it to get back at full boost
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
do you think I can get boost, rpm, speed reading and maybe we can tell if there is a lag? because I am sure the feeling I am getting feels like a lag in the turbo preformance like a second for it to get back at full boost
if you're talking about what you're feeling at redline it is the limiter kicking in and cutting power so you don't go over redline and potentially damage the engine. But at lower RPMs, since the car is a turbo, there is some lag (even though the lag may be minimized, etc.). Once the car hits the limiter, when you shift it does take a second or so to allow you to spool the engine (and turbos) back up if that's what you mean. HTH!
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
if you're talking about what you're feeling at redline it is the limiter kicking in and cutting power so you don't go over redline and potentially damage the engine. But at lower RPMs, since the car is a turbo, there is some lag (even though the lag may be minimized, etc.). Once the car hits the limiter, when you shift it does take a second or so to allow you to spool the engine (and turbos) back up if that's what you mean. HTH!
Much appreciated i will take your advice and go to the second yellow line and shift through the first 3-4 gears and check i dont like going beyond 110MPH
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #10
DirkDiggler84
Rep
Drives: 1 m and 320 da m

How do you you the launchcontrol ? Have tried several times but dont get it to work ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDiggler84 View Post
How do you you the launchcontrol ? Have tried several times but dont get it to work ?
you have to be at a dead stop.
push down the DSC traction for several second until you see a sign that traction is off

switch all your modes to sport plus

gear shifting level (volume) at 3

switch your gear from D to manual and all the way ti first gear

Push in your breaks with your left foot

step on the gas pedal (not mildly otherwise you will not engage launch control) about 1/3 to 1/2 the way in you will see the racing flag appear on your dash

Let go of the breaks and shift accordingly
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
DirkDiggler84
Rep
Drives: 1 m and 320 da m

Thanx. will try it this weekend
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #13
Big John 61
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I can never get launch control to engage. Once you do, doesn't it do the shifting for you? I thought that was one of the purposes of launch control. In my 2013 X5M, once I engaged launch control, all I had to do was take my foot off the brake and the car did all of the shifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep

I went to the track last night. My best launches were just using the brake and gas to tighten up the drivetrain and have the vehicle squat.
My best run was without shifting manually. I did shift manually for my second best run, but used the tachometer on the dash instead of the HUD. The tachometer was nice and gradual and it gave me more time to react to shifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty91ss View Post
I went to the track last night. My best launches were just using the brake and gas to tighten up the drivetrain and have the vehicle squat.
My best run was without shifting manually. I did shift manually for my second best run, but used the tachometer on the dash instead of the HUD. The tachometer was nice and gradual and it gave me more time to react to shifting.
You are now exactly talking about what i want to learn. You said your best run was without shifting manually can you kindly post the steps carefullt on how you did that?? PLEASEEEEEE
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #16
shark- bite
Rep
Drives: X5M - 2015

I Tried Both Auto + Manual on the Drag Race I started with the runs at 12.1 i think when my Car was stock and now Holding Record of 11.6 with a Tune I recommend using Auto and Modes on Sport Plus except the Suspension i prefer it on Comfort than Manual from a Dig but if u Are Racing from a Roll Race in this situation GO Manual & it depends from which Gears u are going and u should shift before redline to hold its power + regarding the Lagging u feel its normal with the x5m ^_^

Regarding the launch control that video was posted from a member in the fourm Hope it helps

Last edited by shark- bite; 06-19-2016 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep

Notice the 1-2 shift happened way before red line. 5200.
My best run is preload with gas and brake at same time, get rpm to 2000. Then launch.
Before I get to the track, I manually shift hard to red line to get the vehicle, "in the mood". My first run the truck in automatic will usually go to red line and shift. The better I get at manually shifting using the tach, the more I will resort to that. I find the 1-2 shift in automatic is very inconsistent.

I have tried different "resting" periods between runs. Lift the hood, cool it down, or I find leaving the vehicle running it will cool itself. Haven't found my the best choice on that.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #18
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark- bite View Post
I Tried Both Auto + Manual on the Drag Race I started with the runs at 12.1 i think when my Car was stock and now Holding Record of 11.6 with a Tune I recommend using Auto and Modes on Sport Plus except the Suspension i prefer it on Comfort than Manual from a Dig but if u Are Racing from a Roll Race in this situation GO Manual & it depends from which Gears u are going and u should shift before redline to hold its power + regarding the Lagging u feel its normal with the x5m ^_^

Regarding the launch control that video was posted from a member in the fourm Hope it helps
I see you did not use the paddle shift behind the steering wheel.

did you have to use the actual gear nob to switch between gears or does it shift by it self?

knowing that in order to activate launch control you have to move from D to Manual and you have to make sure that its set on 1st gear
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #19
shark- bite
Rep
Drives: X5M - 2015

Quote:

did you have to use the actual gear nob to switch between gears or does it shift by it self?

knowing that in order to activate launch control you have to move from D to Manual and you have to make sure that its set on 1st gear

the Video is not me he is a memmber that published it before at the fourm + the x5m when u Activate the lunch control it shifts by its self no need to change gears or shift to manual .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #20
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The U.S. version of the launch control launches at a lower RPM compared to Euro. Not worth using LC in the U.S.

Instead, build boost yourself. Vehicle in D, one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas, build boost to 3k RPM, then release brake. This also reduces stress of the your drivetain.
      06-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #21
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The U.S. version of the launch control launches at a lower RPM compared to Euro. Not worth using LC in the U.S.

Instead, build boost yourself. Vehicle in D, one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas, build boost to 3k RPM, then release brake. This also reduces stress of the your drivetain.
You might be mistaken! i saw a video somewhere that you can change the LC RPM using the button of the steering wheel (opposite side of the rolling button on the steering wheel) and you can control the RPM setup try it and let us know
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #22
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
You might be mistaken! i saw a video somewhere that you can change the LC RPM using the button of the steering wheel (opposite side of the rolling button on the steering wheel) and you can control the RPM setup try it and let us know
The U.S. version doesn't have this option. I doubt it.