BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

0-100/0-60 BMW X5 F15 RaceChip

Tested it whit Torque app witch is spot on when measuring speed/time, had RaceChip on the E2 setting, the time is pretty good, 6,2 sec is better than the 40d, also tried 80-120kph and 4,4 sec is pretty good for the car, my old M3 E46 did it in 3,4 sec a couple of years ago. RaceChip truly delivers for the money. The car is a 30d.

[u2b]
[/u2b]

[u2b]
[/u2b]

Last edited by paicapo; 10-06-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Where did you get this app? How does it work?
Thanks
      12-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Where did you get this app? How does it work?
Thanks
you will find the app here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

and then you will need a OBD connector whit bluetooth like this one:

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

basically it’s a scan tool that works via the OBDII port of the car reading all kinds of stuff like sensors etc., whit the app it has some more features like timing 0-60 times etc., it’s also very accurate, lots of test of this online.
To do video you just download a plugin to the app and den mount the telephone and go.
      12-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Maybe a similar app for iPhone with BMW apps:

BMW M Laptimer by BMW
https://appsto.re/us/oIQYO.i
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Sweet. Thanks
      12-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Maybe a similar app for iPhone with BMW apps:

BMW M Laptimer by BMW
https://appsto.re/us/oIQYO.i
will try this one, looks like you can get all the info on the idrive display in realtime. thanks
      12-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
you will find the app here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

and then you will need a OBD connector whit bluetooth like this one:

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

basically it’s a scan tool that works via the OBDII port of the car reading all kinds of stuff like sensors etc., whit the app it has some more features like timing 0-60 times etc., it’s also very accurate, lots of test of this online.
To do video you just download a plugin to the app and den mount the telephone and go.

That's awesome! Have you made similar measurements with no chip for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
That's awesome! Have you made similar measurements with no chip for comparison?

no i havent but thats a good idea, will try it shortly!!
      01-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
no i havent but thats a good idea, will try it shortly!!
Would be interesting to see un chipped for bmw do under rate their engines
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Yes that is a common notion or rumor but i doubt they do it, here in EU we have strict regulations and certifications on emissions etc. for new cars and there’s no case that I now about where a car manufacture has deliberately defrauded the EU authorities by passing false engine specs.
      01-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Yes that is a common notion or rumor but i doubt they do it, here in EU we have strict regulations and certifications on emissions etc. for new cars and there’s no case that I now about where a car manufacture has deliberately defrauded the EU authorities by passing false engine specs.
In a perfect world, yes, no one can get away with anything. However, government pockets are deep. BMW does underrate their engines. I forget the article I read a while back, but it's true. Here's a recent article that proves it: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...akes?fbfanpage. That's also the reason why they can be modified so heavily.
      01-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
In a perfect world, yes, no one can get away with anything. However, government pockets are deep. BMW does underrate their engines. I forget the article I read a while back, but it's true. Here's a recent article that proves it: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...akes?fbfanpage. That's also the reason why they can be modified so heavily.
No I don’t think so; you can’t compare expected wheel dyno output to BMW benchmarked engine dyno. Turbo engines are very volatile to external factors. Heat soak, fuel grade, air flow to the engine. They are more likely to have larger swings on a dyno and its known in insideinfo from manufactures that they are producing an engine dyno rating that can be consistently achieved using lower quality fuel, some heat soak, and non-ideal air flow or air density etc. In short if you use the exact standard method BMW is using to grade there engines you will end up whit the same results.
      01-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
And in regards of claimed 0-60/0-100 bmw is known to have spot on claimable numbers so the "underrated" theory isn’t an issue or factor measuring 0-60 etc.
      01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No I don’t think so; you can’t compare expected wheel dyno output to BMW benchmarked engine dyno. Turbo engines are very volatile to external factors. Heat soak, fuel grade, air flow to the engine. They are more likely to have larger swings on a dyno and its known in insideinfo from manufactures that they are producing an engine dyno rating that can be consistently achieved using lower quality fuel, some heat soak, and non-ideal air flow or air density etc. In short if you use the exact standard method BMW is using to grade there engines you will end up whit the same results.
You are right to an extent. A lot goes into the dyno tests, but a lot is also "lost" during these tests, which is why they can get away with their numbers without so much as raising an eye brow. I did further reading as well based on your info.
      01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are right to an extent. A lot goes into the dyno tests, but a lot is also "lost" during these tests, which is why they can get away with their numbers without so much as raising an eye brow. I did further reading as well based on your info.
yes but to prove the claim of wrong horsepower specs from manufacture the dyno/setup/technical environment must meet BMW benchmarked method by 100% and show different numbers not inside the margin of error, don’t forget the manufacture set there one standards how to measure engine specs and that is the correct one, and the only method to use if the measurements are supposed to be credible in regards of doubting the official engine specs. I haven’t seen this, so I’m not very convinced, seems to me it’s more of a PR gimmick to promote the car/tune shop etc. fired up by enthusiasts
      01-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
yes but to prove the claim of wrong horsepower specs from manufacture the dyno/setup/technical environment must meet BMW benchmarked method by 100% and show different numbers not inside the margin of error, don’t forget the manufacture set there one standards how to measure engine specs and that is the correct one, and the only method to use if the measurements are supposed to be credible in regards of doubting the official engine specs. I haven’t seen this, so I’m not very convinced, seems to me it’s more of a PR gimmick to promote the car/tune shop etc. fired up by enthusiasts
I can't argue with you on that. I also have no reason to, lol. I hope you did not take any offense to my statements. If anything, I love to be corrected and learn more. Despite what is claimed or not, we are lucky to have such powerful/modifiable engines in the first place. Audi owners with stock engines get screwed in this department unless they have an S or RS model .
      01-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #17
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can't argue with you on that. I also have no reason to, lol. I hope you did not take any offense to my statements. If anything, I love to be corrected and learn more. Despite what is claimed or not, we are lucky to have such powerful/modifiable engines in the first place. Audi owners with stock engines get screwed in this department unless they have an S or RS model .
you are a kind soul opasha no offense taken whats so ever buddy
      01-05-2015, 03:07 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
you are a kind soul opasha no offense taken whats so ever buddy
Get your points, but if you have time we could mythbust this with your app and see really how much RC is giving you and how much BMW is giving for free extra in the first place using this non scientific approach.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #19
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Get your points, but if you have time we could mythbust this with your app and see really how much RC is giving you and how much BMW is giving for free extra in the first place using this non scientific approach.
I do not have any firm numbers to prove the extra performance from RC, but here is a bit of picture I have experienced.

I'm running a 2012 MSport 30D (245HP and 8 speed auto box) with a RC box with default setting (from RC) which they claim add 20% => 295HP.
BMW claim 0-100KM/h (0-62 I believe) at 7.6 sec.
My buddy has an X6 40D (306HP - 8 speed) - BMW claim 0-100 at 6.6 sec.
In a race my 30D with RC is spot on as fast as the std X6 40D. Additionally the time for overtaking is reduced and I feel speeder response is better

But as said, no true measurements to back up

JensM
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #20
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Il give it a try tonight whit a couple of runs whit and without RC and we will see what kind of numbers we get
      01-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Il give it a try tonight whit a couple of runs whit and without RC and we will see what kind of numbers we get
Can't wait, thanks for giving it a shot!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #22
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait, thanks for giving it a shot!

gave it a shot got some exes wheigt out of the car witch I had last time, about 70-80 kg. I made to runs whit racechip and when i was upluging the connectors and stuff to try whitout it started snowing so id hade to abbort, its preety cold here but im gonna try to do a run if it dries upp but from to looks of things it could be a while, its to bad i realy wanted to be able to compare the engien whitout the tune, but the diesel whit raceship seems to love colder temps, hade about -9 celsius and the car hauld ass!
did 0-60 in 5,4 sec and 0-100 in 5,8 sec! thats impressive underated or not in my last run in october the outside temp was about +10 celsius
Piggyback rules!!

[u2b]
[/u2b]

Last edited by paicapo; 01-05-2015 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 4