05-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Clicky

Sup guys!

Who can redirect me to a thread that talks about how clicky their f85 sounds when driving down alley ways?

By clicky I mean loose valves sounds. When I back out of my garage it sounds like a typewriter. Is that typical f85 (s63) or do I need to service something?

She has 40k miles. I change my oil every 5k miles. No down pipes. No muffler. No intake.

Any info would be helpful.
      05-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Probably the direct-injection you're hearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Probably the direct-injection you're hearing.
That loud? Hmm let me do some research.
      05-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Yup. Standard port injection is like 40psi of fuel pressure. Direct injection can be between 1500 - 2000 psi. The sound of the injector opening and slamming shut is louder. Googling:

"The reason for the noise level is the extremely high pressures at which the direct-injection fuel system runs. ... To cope with that noise, GM engineers added more soundproofing to the DI engine around the fuel rails and in between the cylinder heads."

"A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm."

You get the nice cold start bark from the s63 exhaust, followed by the unsexy cacophony of the ticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Yup. Standard port injection is like 40psi of fuel pressure. Direct injection can be between 1500 - 2000 psi. The sound of the injector opening and slamming shut is louder. Googling:

"The reason for the noise level is the extremely high pressures at which the direct-injection fuel system runs. ... To cope with that noise, GM engineers added more soundproofing to the DI engine around the fuel rails and in between the cylinder heads."

"A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm."

You get the nice cold start bark from the s63 exhaust, followed by the unsexy cacophony of the ticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Thank you for this sir!