BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #23
feven1026
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

long story short, if you check my previous post, i had similar issue which was caused by MAF sensors, however do check your battery.
N63TU enegine is a voltage queen, i ended up changing the battery to have the car running smooth; it has been two years since then.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #24
sar08011
Rep
Drives: Z3, 330xi, 535i, X5 50i

Thanks for all the input. It turned out that the bank 1 HPFP was leaking/failing post engine swap(recall that the bank 2 HPFP failed and was replaced during one of my initial dealership visits to have the injectors replaced). SES has remained off for 300 miles now and no faults in the computer. The stuttering warm starts I described are gone as well…turns over and finds it’s idle like a brand new engine (which it is).

So a couple final thoughts here… since pretty much everything ended up being replaced here (except the cats), tough to pinpoint if it was one or a combination of many issues causing the original rich condition. The bank 2 HPFP failed during injector replacement (dealer replaced the injectors, did road test and ended up with a drivetrain malfunction with a whole host of new faults I had not experienced before. Diagnosed as failed HPFP), so tough to say what the impact of the HPFP was the the original issue, especially since it did not solve the rich condition. Similarly, the bank 1 HPFP leak/failure occurred after the engine swap and contributed to both bank 1 and bank 2 rich conditions, which is a bit different than my original situation.

FWIW, interesting to note that the bank 1 HPFP issue contributed to a bank 2 rich fault.

Feven - agree on battery, I did start there as I’ve seen weak batteries contribute to seemingly random faults on other BMWs, but I was getting a pretty good/consistent charge and capacity in the high 70%s.

Regarding the MAPs, I did not realize there were four of them, so thanks for that, good to know. I had, however, replaced the specific MAP you referenced on the manifold. Maybe that helped/contributed to solution, but in and of itself it didn’t solve the rich condition at the time.

Hopefully this thread helps others in the future. Was an $11k adventure for me.
Appreciate 3
      04-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #25
feven1026
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Lol, thankfully you got it all fixed.

Guess what, i was pulling fuel trim data and found out the bank one long term fuel trim is bouncing between -11% and -16%

Doesn't trigger code yet but i do feel the car vibrates a bit more when it is ideling, everything else is good; car runs smooth and no hiccups, jerks.

Car is around 210K kilometers; original HPFP and injetors, coils are new and plugs, Maf were changed 50K kilometera ago.

Don't know where to go next, maybe HPFP, lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:07 AM   #26
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar08011 View Post
Thanks for all the input. It turned out that the bank 1 HPFP was leaking/failing post engine swap(recall that the bank 2 HPFP failed and was replaced during one of my initial dealership visits to have the injectors replaced). SES has remained off for 300 miles now and no faults in the computer. The stuttering warm starts I described are gone as well…turns over and finds it’s idle like a brand new engine (which it is).

So a couple final thoughts here… since pretty much everything ended up being replaced here (except the cats), tough to pinpoint if it was one or a combination of many issues causing the original rich condition. The bank 2 HPFP failed during injector replacement (dealer replaced the injectors, did road test and ended up with a drivetrain malfunction with a whole host of new faults I had not experienced before. Diagnosed as failed HPFP), so tough to say what the impact of the HPFP was the the original issue, especially since it did not solve the rich condition. Similarly, the bank 1 HPFP leak/failure occurred after the engine swap and contributed to both bank 1 and bank 2 rich conditions, which is a bit different than my original situation.

FWIW, interesting to note that the bank 1 HPFP issue contributed to a bank 2 rich fault.

Feven - agree on battery, I did start there as I’ve seen weak batteries contribute to seemingly random faults on other BMWs, but I was getting a pretty good/consistent charge and capacity in the high 70%s.

Regarding the MAPs, I did not realize there were four of them, so thanks for that, good to know. I had, however, replaced the specific MAP you referenced on the manifold. Maybe that helped/contributed to solution, but in and of itself it didn’t solve the rich condition at the time.

Hopefully this thread helps others in the future. Was an $11k adventure for me.
Hey, my errors came back)))) but no CEL as always… did HPFP solved the issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:14 AM   #27
PaddyX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Sorry to revive an old thread but hoping I can leverage some of your experiences. I bought a 16 X5m at auction. I have replaced Mafs, Air intakes, Plugs, O2 sensors and filters. Each time I replace a component I clear the faults , car runs great but once it gets to temp and Idles for a little I get the 118111 and 118011 system running rich codes back. I have performed the Ista injector pressure test and they passed but I’m leaning towards Injector fault regardless and have ordered a set from FCP. Anything else I could check in the interim that you guys may have come across? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 12:54 AM   #28
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Are you able to post up the full error code and description from ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 12:58 PM   #29
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyX5M View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but hoping I can leverage some of your experiences. I bought a 16 X5m at auction. I have replaced Mafs, Air intakes, Plugs, O2 sensors and filters. Each time I replace a component I clear the faults , car runs great but once it gets to temp and Idles for a little I get the 118111 and 118011 system running rich codes back. I have performed the Ista injector pressure test and they passed but I’m leaning towards Injector fault regardless and have ordered a set from FCP. Anything else I could check in the interim that you guys may have come across? Thanks in advance.
I would think if the injectors were an issue it wouldn't only happen once warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:40 PM   #30
PaddyX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

I replaced both HPFP’s cleared the codes and so far its been running great!! Will still change the Injectors once the come in. It's got 90,000 miles on the clock.
Appreciate 0