BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Moonroof fuse?

I haven't used the moonroof in a while and tonight I just found out that it isn't working (nothing moves when I move / push the button) -- neither the cover nor the glass. I figure the first thing I need to check is the fuse. I pulled the cover on the right side panel in the trunk. There's a piece of paper listing all fuses and location. From the graphic it looks like moonroof is #28 and 38. Can anyone confirm? And it looks like these are located in the engine bay on the passenger side?

TIA
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ts View Post
And it looks like these are located in the engine bay on the passenger side?
Most probably under the glovebox - don't think there are any fuses in the engine bay. And that piece of paper is the most reliable source, so if it says 28 and 38 - it's 28 and 38.
      08-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If you're unsure of which fuse...the icon on the fuse diagram should match the icon that is on the sunroof's switch button. That is how to tell what some of the obscure fuse diagram icons are for...look for the icon on the switches or buttons around the vehicle.

You can also double-check by using the TIS website: www.newtis.info If you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select appropriately for model) you can type F28 or F38 into the search box...and the TIS will give you info about that fuse number.

If you have lost electrical power to the vehicle (removed/replaced the battery) since the last time the sunroof worked...then you'll need to simply reinitialize the sunroof. The instructions should be in your owners manual...every BMW that I've owned that had a sunroof has had instructions for how to reinitialize it because they won't function properly or fully once they've lost electrical power. Do check your manual because the f10/f11 instruction below might be SLIGTLY different:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-20-2024 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
r00ts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX50

Thanks TheUltimateDrivingManiac and Qsilver7 !

The car hasn't lost power recently, so it's probably the fuse. But I'll try the reset procedure first.

And yes it looks like the fuse box is under the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 02:44 AM   #5
LateParty2018X535d
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 - 2018 BMW X5 35d - Stock

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ts View Post
I haven't used the moonroof in a while and tonight I just found out that it isn't working (nothing moves when I move / push the button) — neither the cover nor the glass. I figure the first thing I need to check is the fuse. I pulled the cover on the right side panel in the trunk. There's a piece of paper listing all fuses and location. From the graphic it looks like moonroof is #28 and 38. Can anyone confirm? And it looks like these are located in the engine bay on the passenger side?

TIA
Thx very much everyone for this thread. Just had this problem moonroof totally non responsive and open, couldn’t initialize. This worked great on first try! Thx for noting the two fuse numbers that was key. My 2018 X5 35d had the fuse diagram paper in the rear right fuse box but no symbol matching moonroof switch. But pulled those two fuses and replaced and voilla worked right away. Then did initialization for good measure. Y’all are awesome! Thx a lot!
Appreciate 0