BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Lightbulb Feedback on JL Motoring or RW Carbon F15 X5 Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler/Rear Diffuser

I am looking to purchase a Carbon Fiber Front Lip and possibly rear for my F15. There are several options out there. I see that getting the OEM one $1300+

Looking at aftermarket ones about half the price from $500-600
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either JL Motroing or RW Carbon.
Can someone tell me if one is better than other ?
Has anyone purchased either of these can provide me any feedback or concerns?

JL Motoring: https://www.jl-motoring.com/BMW_F15_...p/bmfs1501.htm
RW Carbon: https://www.********.com/bmw-f15-x5-...fiber-lip.html

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Nobody ? You guys gonna make me the beta tester ?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #3
HJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 CLS63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
Nobody ? You guys gonna make me the beta tester ?
Hard to say which aftermarket company is better because either way they pretty much all come from china/taiwan. While fitment and quality will not be on par with oem I have no experience with JL so can't say much there I have some friends that use RW which is located in the US so if there was a fitment/product issue it was much easier for them to deal with. You can pm Ben to get a better idea of the options youve just mentioned as he can get a hold of aftermarket parts as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Mega-Ken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 88 M3, BMW 2015 X6

RW Carbon looks promising considering their front lip and mirror covers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Ken View Post
I am going to reach out to them find out about the install if they include the bolts etc. I don't want to just 2 side tape the lip I can see if ripping off at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega-Ken View Post
I am going to reach out to them find out about the install if they include the bolts etc. I don't want to just 2 side tape the lip I can see if ripping off at some point.
You will need to ask them about the brackets and if they include them. It should be 4 in total.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsensetam View Post
You will need to ask them about the brackets and if they include them. It should be 4 in total.
Looks like the RW Carbon has them based on the details of the site. Had to email JL to see if they include them

From RW Carbon: Installation for the F15 carbon fiber lip is done with 3m tape, and additional screws and bolts for support. We include the side brackets required as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like the RW Carbon has them based on the details of the site. Had to email JL to see if they include them

From RW Carbon: Installation for the F15 carbon fiber lip is done with 3m tape, and additional screws and bolts for support. We include the side brackets required as well.
I bought my OEM splitter used, and purchased aftermarket side brackets off eBay, but you will also need the "Z" center brackets otherwise the downforce will separate the center of the splitter from the brackets. Luckily the seller gave those to me as well. I also used double sided tape with adhesion promoter.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I bought my OEM splitter used, and purchased aftermarket side brackets off eBay, but you will also need the "Z" center brackets otherwise the downforce will separate the center of the splitter from the brackets. Luckily the seller gave those to me as well. I also used double sided tape with adhesion promoter.
Which seller did you use to get the Z brackets as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The seller had the z brackets and provided them as well, but the side L brackets he provided were kinda beat with excess tape residue, so I just brought new ones. I put in tons of work getting the old tape off the splitter itself so was lazy getting the L brackets clean. Plus the placement guides were broken off so I didn't want to risk placing it in the wrong position.
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      04-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The seller had the z brackets and provided them as well, but the side L brackets he provided were kinda beat with excess tape residue, so I just brought new ones. I put in tons of work getting the old tape off the splitter itself so was lazy getting the L brackets clean. Plus the placement guides were broken off so I didn't want to risk placing it in the wrong position.
Do you happen to have a good close up of the z brackets?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bottom pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      04-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #13
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bottom pic
Thanks! I was hoping I could fabricate some myself but it looks a little more involved than I was expecting lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bottom pic
Thanks! I was hoping I could fabricate some myself but it looks a little more involved than I was expecting lol
Anytime! It stinks bmw doesn't stock these parts separately
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      04-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #15
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

You guys will learn the hard way like I did... RW Carbon is crap. I've had the mirror caps for a year and the weaves warped and separated. I contacted RW and they were reluctant to replace them but I was advised if I went to their facebook page and provide a good and positive feedback they would send me a replacement. Needless to say, I purchased new ones from Ben at RG Sport.
      04-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #16
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
You guys will learn the hard way like I did... RW Carbon is crap. I've had the mirror caps for a year and the weaves warped and separated. I contacted RW and they were reluctant to replace them but I was advised if I went to their facebook page and provide a good and positive feedback they would send me a replacement. Needless to say, I purchased new ones from Ben at RG Sport.
Did you purchase OEM or Autotecknic replacements? I just picked up a set of Autotecknics and waiting for them to come in, I hope fitment is good.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Did you purchase OEM or Autotecknic replacements? I just picked up a set of Autotecknics and waiting for them to come in, I hope fitment is good.
I got the Autotecknic from Ben and so far so good!
Fitment is 95% RW fitment was off by a lot.
      04-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Autotecnik is great....no issues and I have them for the past year.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #19
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a link to where we can purchase it and see pictures ?
Search RG sport site nothing. Searched Autotecknic site and did not see a front lip listed
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #20
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is there a link to where we can purchase it and see pictures ?
Search RG sport site nothing. Searched Autotecknic site and did not see a front lip listed
We were talking about Autotecknic carbon fiber mirror caps, they don't make the splitter
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

For the front splitters I would suggest go with OEM. You don't have to worry about the quality lacking, or fitment issues along with searching for hardware to install the lip. I would also suggest using betalink adhesives instead of 3M VHB double sided tapes.
      04-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #22
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the front splitters I would suggest go with OEM. You don't have to worry about the quality lacking, or fitment issues along with searching for hardware to install the lip. I would also suggest using betalink adhesives instead of 3M VHB double sided tapes.
Who sells the OEM one the cheapest and what is the part number? 51-19-2-334-549?

I am finding Both sellers include the needed brackets

RW Carbon is $630 shipped
Per RW " It does include two brackets that are needed for installation. It will also include self taping screws. All of these pieces do some with our fitment and quality guarantee, but I would have a professional shop do the install. It takes multiple people to help position the brackets and mount the front lip."

JL Motors is $599 shipped.
Per JL "Not required brackets. The brackets were mold on the lip. "
Appreciate 1