BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

Tire tread depth at Lease End

I called BMW FS and they couldn't answer my question, transferred me over to Customer Relations who could not also answer my question.

Does anyone know what the minimum tire tread depth is when turning in the X5 at the end of a 36 month lease?

I'm asking because I'm at 9k, but my tires are starting to hum. Considering taking them off and putting all-season non run-flats on and saving those run-flats until I have to turn the vehicle in.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

U got tire insurance?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
I called BMW FS and they couldn't answer my question, transferred me over to Customer Relations who could not also answer my question.

Does anyone know what the minimum tire tread depth is when turning in the X5 at the end of a 36 month lease?

I'm asking because I'm at 9k, but my tires are starting to hum. Considering taking them off and putting all-season non run-flats on and saving those run-flats until I have to turn the vehicle in.
I just turned in my 2012 X5. Not sure how soon your lease is up, but they will send you a little template that will help you measure. That being said, I believe the depth is 1/8 of an inch of tread depth. It's fairly small.
      09-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:

I am really surprised they couldn't answer you.
I am being bombarded by mailers from BMWNA, BMW Financial, The dealer I leased from and any other dealers who know my lease-end date.
One of those mailers was "let's prepare for return" or something like that. In one of those I received the template, I hope it helps:

Sorry about the blurry quality, it is pretty dimly lit in here I used night mode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

4/32nds tread.
      09-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
jeffhoff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:

This link has a lot of video's about the lease return process

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...tionFlash.aspx

I've found that what BMW charges for tires is less than I can buy them for (especially the 20's). I just ordered '15 X5 and my CA knows when my '12 comes in it will need 4 tires..

If yours are already starting to hum I'm guessing you're at (or past) acceptable tread depth.
Appreciate 0