10-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #23
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
So 2x over the weekend, the rear passenger door unlocked and opened by itself. I got the door ajar warning and you could hear the latch un-release.

Happened to be turning left at the time. Car is subject to rear door recall. Not sure if that fixes it...
Apologies but I have only just seen this thread.

Is this still an issue and is it only related to those that have the Soft Close Door option?

I don't think it was included in Matt Bianco's 'Issues List'.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

@Baunton, we captured it in the survey in section 2.2.2, and it looks like as of now 5/69 (7%) (link) have had this issue with the soft close doors.

When it happened to me, it was quite unnerving as one of the little ones called it out before the alert popped up in the inst. cluster. It never swung open; it was ajar and held by another latch.

In the new one I ordered, I left out the option (it is no longer part of a package in the US). BTW....dealer called and we are scheduled for a pick up for tomorrow a.m

Last edited by MattBianco; 10-03-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #25
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

What do you mean "new one"? Did they lemon your old one?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #26
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
What do you mean "new one"? Did they lemon your old one?
They didn't lemon it as at the end they believed their junior advisor had made a mistake with the order entry, causing my requested options to be absent from the vehicle.

I didn't return it for the door issue. That is something that should be repairable. It may get a recall.
      10-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #27
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
BTW....dealer called and we are scheduled for a pick up for tomorrow a.m
Congratulations and I don't want to wish you good luck because I don't believe there should be a chance for luck when ordering a +$70k vehicle. It's really sad that you had to go through all that. However, when I see all those reports that were listed on your survey and on your forum posts (led, garage door opener, door panels, etc..) I end up caving in and wish you Good Luck!

Maybe I need more luck since I also ordered SCA.
      06-09-2017, 02:32 AM   #28
JSBHiFi
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Had the same thing happen to me, the right side rear passenger door popped loose, they are not soft close doors. This happened when I was taking a left turn at about 55kph, temperature about 8°C.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #29
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBHiFi View Post
Had the same thing happen to me, the right side rear passenger door popped loose, they are not soft close doors. This happened when I was taking a left turn at about 55kph, temperature about 8°C.

What I realized is that doors tend to pop (but remain latched) if you get in, close the door, drive a little bit, get out while car is running, and get back in and start driving, then the first sharp turn you make causes the door that was recently opened to pop open.
This has happened few times and I thought it was the soft close doors, now that you said even non-scd does this, it's not very promising.
      08-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
behzads
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e

Happened to my g30 2017 today, the passenger door opened by its own but remained latched, while have be driving 120km/h and my pragnent wife was sitting on the passenger side. Very disappointed! Not sure if it’s gonna be solved even after replacing the whole latching unit seems to be a design issue as it didn’t happen to my car only :/
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #31
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Front driver's door opened while driving on highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
What I realized is that doors tend to pop (but remain latched) if you get in, close the door, drive a little bit, get out while car is running, and get back in and start driving, then the first sharp turn you make causes the door that was recently opened to pop open.
This has happened few times and I thought it was the soft close doors, now that you said even non-scd does this, it's not very promising.
While I was driving back home this afternoon, my driver's side door opened! The doors unlocked and the door was held in by the latch and the door open warning sounded on the dash with the dash icon. The road was veering towards the left when it happened. I was surprised and a bit in panic when it happened. I managed to grab the door handle and force it back shut and lock the doors again. This was a 2018 BMW X1 fully loaded. No soft close option...not available on the X1. I noticed that this been on the forums here but haven't found it on the X1 forums. I live in Montreal and the weather is cold and harsh in winter.
Appreciate 0