BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

F85 buying advice.

Hey guys, quick question if you're bored. I've been interested in an F85 forever, but already having 2 expensive toys (Lotus Exige, and an M2), I figured I had better be sensible with my daily (Acura RDX), but I've gotten the X5M bug again, so I'm after some buying advice.

Is there is quick and dirty thread somewhere about what years to avoid/what to look out for, and maybe what would be good to have (packages?).

I saw this one on Edmonds and it's pretty much what I'm after, but I figured I'd run it by some owners to see what they thought.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5-m/201...89/?radius=200
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:27 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Hey guys, quick question if you're bored. I've been interested in an F85 forever, but already having 2 expensive toys (Lotus Exige, and an M2), I figured I had better be sensible with my daily (Acura RDX), but I've gotten the X5M bug again, so I'm after some buying advice.

Is there is quick and dirty thread somewhere about what years to avoid/what to look out for, and maybe what would be good to have (packages?).

I saw this one on Edmonds and it's pretty much what I'm after, but I figured I'd run it by some owners to see what they thought.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5-m/201...89/?radius=200
I don't know of 1 specific F85/F86 issues/maintenance thread like some forums have, but you could search and find some threads on common issues.

No year is better than another, 2014-2018. Unless you just consider newer better, but there's barely any differences. There was no LCI model, and the packaging largely remained the same until the final year when BMW combined the Driver's Assistance Package into the Executive Package.

2017 & 2018 models have the updated navigation that includes touchscreen. Wireless charging also became available in 2017 (part of the Executive Package) as well as CarPlay compatibility (standalone $300 option). Other than that, packaging/options were the same each year.

Executive included:
heated steering wheel
soft close doors
rear side window shades
front ventilated seats
heated rear seats (heated fronts are standard)
adaptive LED headlights (xenons are standard)
automatic high beams
HUD
concierge services
wireless charging
wifi hotspot

Driver's Assistance Packaging included:
active blind spot detection
active driving assistant
surround view
lane departure warning

Most X5Ms will have the Executive Package, I've only see a few that didn't. Other standalone options were Bang & Olufsen sound (H/K is standard), rear seat entertainment, parking assistant, 21's (no cost over 20's when ordering new), and night vision pedestrian detection.

The one you posted looks nice, super low miles. I've always thought Caravan's prices were high, and despite the low miles it still seems a bit high? This one has Executive, Driver's Assistance, 21's, and night vision (super rare option). No B&O sound which is fairly common on the F85. Also has the aluminum trace interior trim - most have carbon fiber which people seem to prefer.

Good luck with your search/decision
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't know of 1 specific F85/F86 issues/maintenance thread like some forums have, but you could search and find some threads on common issues.

No year is better than another, 2014-2018. Unless you just consider newer better, but there's barely any differences. There was no LCI model, and the packaging largely remained the same until the final year when BMW combined the Driver's Assistance Package into the Executive Package.

2017 & 2018 models have the updated navigation that includes touchscreen. Wireless charging also became available in 2017 (part of the Executive Package) as well as CarPlay compatibility (standalone $300 option). Other than that, packaging/options were the same each year.

Executive included:
heated steering wheel
soft close doors
rear side window shades
front ventilated seats
heated rear seats (heated fronts are standard)
adaptive LED headlights (xenons are standard)
automatic high beams
HUD
concierge services
wireless charging
wifi hotspot

Driver's Assistance Packaging included:
active blind spot detection
active driving assistant
surround view
lane departure warning

Most X5Ms will have the Executive Package, I've only see a few that didn't. Other standalone options were Bang & Olufsen sound (H/K is standard), rear seat entertainment, parking assistant, 21's (no cost over 20's when ordering new), and night vision pedestrian detection.

The one you posted looks nice, super low miles. I've always thought Caravan's prices were high, and despite the low miles it still seems a bit high? This one has Executive, Driver's Assistance, 21's, and night vision (super rare option). No B&O sound which is fairly common on the F85. Also has the aluminum trace interior trim - most have carbon fiber which people seem to prefer.

Good luck with your search/decision
Thank you so much for this, I was beginning to think no one would respond.

My M2 only has 26K on the clock, and I rarely drive it, so I'm not so worried about maintenance or things and usually go wrong with them because it'll be a while, but with the X5 I'm a bit concerned. Not overly, because I do my own wrenching, but somewhat.

Is there anything I need to look for? Like the water pump issue on the N55 at above 80K miles, or the need for walnut blasting because of DI? I don't want to buy a car that has been dumped because it needs a lot of maintenance unless I know what it needs and can buy accordingly.

Any obvious things to look for there or be aware of that are expensive or difficult as the mileage gets to 80K?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 06:36 PM   #4
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I’d try to go for 2017 or 2018 simply because of some of the updates (I don’t care about touchscreen, but the updated display looks way better) and likely lower miles.

Although walnut blasting would be a good thing due to DI, not sure how that would be done without removing the engine since it’s a “hot V” and the intakes are on the outside of the V…blocked by basically everything. Lol

Several people are running catch can setups on the PCV system to try to prevent carbon buildup. I simply vented mine to atmosphere.

Oil leaks are definitely something to look for. Lower oil pan gasket is easy to replace, upper pan or valve cover gaskets…not so much.

Spark plugs should be replaced at regular intervals. Some need every 30k, some every 50k. Coils either at spark plug change (I mean, you’re already removing them, so…) or every other plug change.

Injectors at around 100k.

Oh, around 75k you should check the oil pump chain tension. Part of the job would include replacing the lower oil pan gasket, will add about 45 min to your oil change.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-15-2024, 07:27 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
I’d try to go for 2017 or 2018 simply because of some of the updates (I don’t care about touchscreen, but the updated display looks way better) and likely lower miles.

Although walnut blasting would be a good thing due to DI, not sure how that would be done without removing the engine since it’s a “hot V” and the intakes are on the outside of the V…blocked by basically everything. Lol

Several people are running catch can setups on the PCV system to try to prevent carbon buildup. I simply vented mine to atmosphere.

Oil leaks are definitely something to look for. Lower oil pan gasket is easy to replace, upper pan or valve cover gaskets…not so much.

Spark plugs should be replaced at regular intervals. Some need every 30k, some every 50k. Coils either at spark plug change (I mean, you’re already removing them, so…) or every other plug change.

Injectors at around 100k.

Oh, around 75k you should check the oil pump chain tension. Part of the job would include replacing the lower oil pan gasket, will add about 45 min to your oil change.
Sounds similar to my N55 honestly.
Appreciate 1
tfunk88192.00
      01-15-2024, 07:54 PM   #6
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yep, everything except oil pump chain tension and inability to walnut media blast is pretty similar timing-wise…N55 oil cooler housing gasket isn’t an issue BUT you have TWO oil pans on the S63TU, so 6 of one two dozen of the other (upper oil pan is way mo’ sheeeit to remove if it needs done lol)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:09 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yep, everything except oil pump chain tension and inability to walnut media blast is pretty similar timing-wise…N55 oil cooler housing gasket isn’t an issue BUT you have TWO oil pans on the S63TU, so 6 of one two dozen of the other (upper oil pan is way mo’ sheeeit to remove if it needs done lol)
So without the ability to walnut blast, what do people do for the carbon buildup? If I install a catch-can at 30K would that save me to 120K? I'd hate to buy a car with 75K on the clock that already has an issue. Not sure when it shows up on these X5's.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:34 AM   #8
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
So without the ability to walnut blast, what do people do for the carbon buildup? If I install a catch-can at 30K would that save me to 120K? I'd hate to buy a car with 75K on the clock that already has an issue. Not sure when it shows up on these X5's.
Honestly don’t know when they develop issues…but I’d def think if you put the catch cans on at 30k you’d be good to go until…the motor needs rebuilding. I got my N63TU (what the S63TU is based on) at 93k miles. Put the vent to atmosphere on at around 100k. I now have 125k and it’s still running great! Maybe the valves already have built up carbon on them, but…runs great, so I’m happy.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-16-2024, 01:33 PM   #9
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

The intake valve deposit buildup was terrible with 1st and 2nd generation DI engines. By 2012 or so most manufacturers figured out how to mitigate the buildup. In several years of reading this board I haven't seen any reference to problems with IVD.

I've been contemplating selling my '18 with 62k miles. Same color and wheels as the one you posted, but with Silverstone interior. Mine has B&O audio but no night vision. I do my own wrenching and have changed spark plugs, tightened oil pump chain plus new pan gasket, replaced front diff fluid, rear diff fluid, rear diff clutch pack fluid, transfer case fluid, air filters. Also did new brakes and fluid less than 1k miles ago. The only repair in two years of ownership was replacing the rear air springs.

Hadn't really thought about price. Let me know.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-16-2024, 03:05 PM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Motivated View Post
The intake valve deposit buildup was terrible with 1st and 2nd generation DI engines. By 2012 or so most manufacturers figured out how to mitigate the buildup. In several years of reading this board I haven't seen any reference to problems with IVD.

I've been contemplating selling my '18 with 62k miles. Same color and wheels as the one you posted, but with Silverstone interior. Mine has B&O audio but no night vision. I do my own wrenching and have changed spark plugs, tightened oil pump chain plus new pan gasket, replaced front diff fluid, rear diff fluid, rear diff clutch pack fluid, transfer case fluid, air filters. Also did new brakes and fluid less than 1k miles ago. The only repair in two years of ownership was replacing the rear air springs.

Hadn't really thought about price. Let me know.
Sounds like a nice car! I'd certainly prefer to buy from a forum member if I can. I'll send you a pm for pix, I'm not so big on silverstone interior, but I might be persuaded.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:15 PM   #11
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Motivated View Post
Just curious, what did they change to figure out how to mitigate buildup? I know from the N63 to the N63TU they improved the valve seals and I would assume the ability of the PCV system to filter oil vapor back into the engine vs into the intake…but I know mine was definitely venting some oil into the intake.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-16-2024, 06:36 PM   #12
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just curious, what did they change to figure out how to mitigate buildup? I know from the N63 to the N63TU they improved the valve seals and I would assume the ability of the PCV system to filter oil vapor back into the engine vs into the intake…but I know mine was definitely venting some oil into the intake.
I think a few different things. The oil separators built into the PCV systems improved. Another major source of oil was compressor seals which have improved. Both of those sources combined to coat the whole induction system in oil. When the engines ran with high overlap (dual cam phasers do that to dethrottle for fuel economy) there was sooty combustion gases that get pushed into the intake and stick to the oil. Once known, the calibration can be adjusted to be less aggressive. Combustion systems (charge motion, injector targeting, spray geometry, injection pressure) also improved to have less combustion soot. Put it all together and it’s less of a problem than back in the N54 days.
Appreciate 2
tfunk88192.00
      01-16-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Haaaahaha at first when I read your reply and you mentioned “compressor seals” for a split second I thought “What’s the AC compressor have to do with valve deposits? Whelp, guess I can’t believe anything THIS guy says…”

And then I realized you were talking about the turbo compressor wheel. I’m dumb. 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:48 PM   #14
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haaaahaha at first when I read your reply and you mentioned “compressor seals” for a split second I thought “What’s the AC compressor have to do with valve deposits? Whelp, guess I can’t believe anything THIS guy says…”

And then I realized you were talking about the turbo compressor wheel. I’m dumb. 😂
Sorry!!! Yes, turbocharger compressor seals. 🤣
Appreciate 1
tfunk88192.00
      01-28-2024, 07:13 PM   #15
Upurock
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
I’d try to go for 2017 or 2018 simply because of some of the updates (I don’t care about touchscreen, but the updated display looks way better) and likely lower
That ⬆️
I checked my oil pump tension at 45k when I bought the car and it was already loose, I posted a video in the thread dedicated to that
Thinking of F85 🙏
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-28-2024, 07:37 PM   #16
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Dang, that’s crazy…I checked mine at 95k when I bought it, and it was loose but not excessive. At least it didn’t seem excessive.

I’m wondering how often it needs to be checked once it’s been done. Can’t imagine the chain keeps stretching at the same rate.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:49 AM   #17
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

I typed out a whole response and then somehow managed to delete it without posting it.
Bottom line, I bought the exact same year and specs but with 59K on it. I have had it 8 months and probably twice a week I say to myself "I am so glad I bought this car" even though it is twice as much as I have ever paid for a car before.
I have absolutely no regrets, none....although nothing has broken yet. I am familiar with wrenching for myself so when something does break hopefully it is something I can fix.

Negatives - gas mileage is horrible.....but you do get a roaring V8 and 567 horses..... :-)

Tires are ridiculously expensive.

I heard that the oil pump tension is an issue as someone else mentioned. I need to look at mine when I find out how to :-)

A few years ago when I was looking at M3 or M5 I remember saying what I actually need is an M5 in an SUV and not knowing the X5M was a thing I started looking at the sport version of Durango's and Explorer's. Then one day I found out about X5M's and my fate was sealed LOL.

Pics of my F85 and my stage 2 E88 attached :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by Mandinca; 02-26-2024 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-26-2024, 02:08 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

I think the problem for me is the price of one that has very few miles on it ($60K all in). I'm not wanting to get into something with 80K on the clock, as I feel like it'll be pretty costly as it ages, so I'm going to save some more cash and wait a bit. Maybe I'll get lucky and the market will tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:12 PM   #19
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

There are a couple with around 40k miles for around $40-45k listed in the classifieds
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-26-2024, 07:15 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
There are a couple with around 40k miles for around $40-45k listed in the classifieds
I'm looking for something under 30K miles if I can get it. Needle in a haystack for the color and options I want I'm sure. The perfect one will come up at $75K hahhaa
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:35 PM   #21
dscurt
Registered
Rep
Drives: G35

Wonderful replies and information in this thread and forum.

Thankful this was started, currently in the market for a different vehicle and fell in love with the F85. Perusing these board for a few weeks now. Much like Mandinca this package seems more attractive to me than something with a Hemi.

It seems most are trading up within a few years, a lot of these seem to be 3-4 owner vehicles. IÂ’m looking for information from long term, higher mileage daily drivers. Having never owned a BMW before intel on long term cost of ownership, reliability and maintenance knowledge is what concerns me about a 2017 / 2018 that is out of warranty. I typically buy with the goal of keeping vehicles long term.

IÂ’ve built a great note with all the knowledge IÂ’ve gained here and looking for more to help with a decision. At this point a nudge to either continue exploring the F85, another model BMW or otherwise would be great!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 06:49 PM   #22
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I don’t have an F85, but I do have a 2016 X5 50i…very similar drivetrain. I bought it last April with 93k miles on it, just went past 130k miles today.

I love it. That being said, there are some things to adhere to so you can enjoy it for a while.

In no particular order except for when they popped up in my head-

1. Check Oil pump chain tension
2. Oil/filter changes at least every 5k miles
3. Spark plugs every 40-50k miles, might as well also do coils
4. Injectors probably around 100k (though mine are still going strong at 130k)
5. You will be replacing A LOT of plastic parts in the engine bay…turbo intake tubes, hose holders, hoses themselves, etc The heat from the engine turns all that plastic brittle over time.
6. Fr/rt diff, transfer case, and trans fluid and filter (pan/filter if 50i) every 50k miles.
7. I vented PCV system to air. Some do catch cans. Some leave as is.
8. Control arms probably around 80-100k miles

But really, for the most part…you’ll just enjoy driving it. I replaced my stock shocks with Bilstein B6’s and Eibach springs, along with control arms. Handles great now.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50