01-14-2024, 06:03 PM   #1
payterpopov
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Cloning a Key?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with cloning a key.

I have a 2016 X5 and recently lost one of my keys. I called my local BMW dealer and they said it’d be $880.

Decided to buy my own machine (Autel MaxilM KM100) and a new unused key. I was unsuccessful with registering the key with my car which I now know is because programming through ISTA is needed.

However, the machine has a cloning option for keys and was thinking that if it’s making a copy of my remaining key, that I would be able to avoid it needing to be programmed through ISTA.

The reason I haven’t tried it yet is because I’m scared it may not work and then the key won’t be usable or it may work but I’ll lose my comfort access on one or both keys.

If anyone has any info that would be greatly appreciated but as of right now I think the best option is to just have a locksmith come program it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 07:57 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The BMW remotes have two different functions. It serves to lock/unlock the car’s central locking system and comfort access features…but it also has an EWS (start/immobilizing) feature that operates separately from the central locking features.

The EWS function uses a 128-bit encryption that the remote’s transponder sends to various modules, that must match the encryption they have…then the car is released for starting.

It’s kind of complex…so I hope you figure everything out before you end up spending more or just as much as it would have been to order a new remote from BMW.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-16-2024 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 11:53 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

ISTA doesn't have any key creating capabilities as far as I know. Qsilver7 posted a good explanation, only BMW can generate the key for your vehicle based on the VIN (not even the dealership, they just verify you are the owner and order key for you). You can not just take one key and clone it into another, some local locksmith can get you new key for less but they will need to remove your BDC controller and add new key into the BDC EEPROM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
From experience, only bmw generated key.
From asking all possible pro. Only bmw.
Ended up ordering from bmw. If yours quote you $850 go somewhere else. Can just call dealerships and pay half of that. Sometimes even a third.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:27 PM   #5
tavyx
Rep
Drives: e92 lots of issues :)

from a locksmith point of view:

Autel is able to make keys for this vehicle just not the machine you have.
you can try: autel bmw key + IM 608 pro + yearly subscription.

I am doing it all the time, quite extensive process, also requires opening up the FEM/BDC and read/write data to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:23 PM   #6
Slickum01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMX X5

Does anyone have a dealership to recommend that will make it cheaper then ship it? Looking to buy one for our newly obtained 2014 X5....
Appreciate 1
_ObiJon200.00
      01-28-2024, 01:33 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I’ve never purchased anything from this vendor but over the decades that I’ve been on BMW forums (since 1996 and the old Richard Welty’s BMW Digest & Roadfly/Bimmer.org)…the vendor’s name & link below has come up many many times in BMW remote key threads. You’ll have to contact them to see if its still possible: https://www.thebmwminipartstore.com/

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 02:48 PM   #8
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by payterpopov View Post
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with cloning a key.

I have a 2016 X5 and recently lost one of my keys. I called my local BMW dealer and they said it’d be $880.

Decided to buy my own machine (Autel MaxilM KM100) and a new unused key. I was unsuccessful with registering the key with my car which I now know is because programming through ISTA is needed.

However, the machine has a cloning option for keys and was thinking that if it’s making a copy of my remaining key, that I would be able to avoid it needing to be programmed through ISTA.

The reason I haven’t tried it yet is because I’m scared it may not work and then the key won’t be usable or it may work but I’ll lose my comfort access on one or both keys.

If anyone has any info that would be greatly appreciated but as of right now I think the best option is to just have a locksmith come program it.
A few years ago a local locksmith cleared a lost key and created a new one for 2014 X5 for $400. Comfort access was working just the radius was really short. I believe because of the poor key fob.
Further, Autonation dealer from which we bought 2016 X5 a few months ago told us that a local locksmith is there at their location every Thursday and can make a complete job for $300 or so. No BMW dealer needed.
Appreciate 0