BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Thoughts on my 2015 35d

I'm back. Now that I've had my new truck for a week, I thought I'd post some of my thoughts about it. The build and pix are here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=1

For context, a lot of my comments are comparisons to my previous X5, which was a 2012 X5 xDrive 35i Premium. I'm currently at just under 350 miles on my new X5, with a mix of about 60%-40% of city vs highway using almost entirely Comfort mode. This is a fairly long write-up. If you want the summary: I LOVE THIS TRUCK!! Now you can skip the rest or settle in with your favorite beverage for some light reading.

Handling
I will jump on the anti-power-steering bandwagon right out of the gate. There are times when I like the new power steering, such as slow speed corners and working my way into a tight spot in the parking lot. But, for the most part, I'm not a fan. I do prefer the hydraulically assisted steering that was in my old X5. I know a lot of folks found that to be too hard. But this feels too soft. I wish BMW could find a mid-point between the E70 and the F15. The pendulum swung too far.

I'm also not a fan of how much they've softened the suspension. Even in sport mode, it doesn't drive as "tight" as my E70. This leads me to one change I would make to my build if I had to do it over: I would get the Dynamic Handling Package. Normally, I don't spring for this extra, but I think I would now. I don't regret my order or choices; I don't dislike the vehicle because I didn't order this. But, there have just been a few aggressive freeway corners where I wasn't 100% confident in the vehicle's cornering. I attribute part of that to the tires, as they were brand new and still getting a break-in themselves. I also attribute part simply to the different feel between the E70 and the F15 base suspension and my own "newbie" state w/ the F15. But I think the DHP would've made these just feel a little bit safer.

Now I'm going to contradict myself a little bit and say that I do like the ride of the new suspension better than the E70, although the handling leaves something to be desired in my book. In fact, I love the ride. A lot. It's incredibly comfortable. I've been doing joyrides on weekends and evenings just to enjoy the ride. It's really great.

Acceleration
Acceleration and shifting are noticeably better on the F15. The E70 had great acceleration, but the 8-speed was not tuned quite as nicely as it is now. I had more "jerky" shifts when I was accelerating hard. The evolution to this generation is noticeable. They've done a nice job with it.

Thoughts on the diesel
I'll put it out there right away: I'm a diesel "virgin". I've never owned a diesel, and honestly never considered owning one until now. My memory of diesels is from the 80's. Loud, smoky, stinky, and they tended to gel up in the cold winters on the rural great plains. I started looking at diesels just 2 months ago when I first started looking for the replacement for my E70. I saw the diesel on the BMW page, saw it's superior mileage, and thought I would give it a try. My dealer happened to have a 2014 35d on the lot, so I arranged a test drive. I was really impressed with the quick acceleration. I'm no longer a sports car driver, but I still like good acceleration. That is one of the things that attracted me to the E70; it was an SUV that still came off the line and handled freeway passing like a sedan.

The diesel is actually as quiet or quieter than the gas engine in my E70. This is a subjective measure - I didn't do a decibel rating or anything. But walking up to this car when it's running, I'm hard pressed to notice it's a diesel. The half dozen people who've ridden in the F15 with me have been shocked when I tell them it's a diesel.

Mileage is thus far disappointing, although I should mention that I've only filled once in my 350 miles (and that only 2/3 of a tank), so I can't say I have a reliable measure, yet. But that fill only netted me 20mpg or so. I was hoping for a bit more. But, perhaps as the engine breaks in more, things will improve. I only averaged 13.5 on my E70, so 20 is a big improvement already.

The acceleration is great, and I attribute a lot of that to the mating with the 8-speed. As I mentioned above, it's really nicely tuned. It always knows the right gear for the situation, and it doesn't have to "search" through several jerky levels to find it. I've been doing a lot of high-speed passing on the freeway to see how it performs, and it is never lacking.

If you are like me, new to diesel, you may have some concerns about the low redline value for this engine. For those of you who've had diesels or know a lot about engines, you'll probably roll your eyes at this, but I was genuinely concerned that this vehicle redlines as low as it does. The tach only goes to 6000 where my gas engine went to 7500. I worried a lot that this would mean I couldn't achieve the highway performance I wanted, even though I had test driven the 35d. Although I had done a lot of research into diesels and power-torque curves on the 35d, I didn't really understand what that meant until I got in this vehicle and realized that I can do 80mph and only be around 2000 RPM's. I've gotten pretty aggressive with off-the-line starts, highway passing, and even running up past 100mph, and still barely touched the 3000 RPM limit recommended during the break in. I can't wait to get past the break in period. Have I mentioned that I love this truck?

Run-Flat Tires
I'm including this because there have been a few comments/threads related to the run-flat tires. I'm running on the standard 20" RFT's that came with the truck. These are Pirelli, btw. I know that many complain about the comfort of the ride with the RFT's. I'm not one of them. I actually like these and will continue to run with RFT's. I don't notice the rough ride, with the exception of a few of the bridges/causeways here. There is definitely more noise on the concrete surface on some of the long bridges, although the cabin does a good job of dulling that down. Now - caveat here - I've had RFT's on my last 2 BMW's, so I'm definitely acclimated to these. I actually find the ride of regular tires a bit mushy. Plus, the RFT's have actually saved me on 4 or 5 occasions where I would've otherwise been stranded with a flat.

Interior
BMW has really done a great job with the new interior. I went for the "simple-but-elegant" look. Mocha Nappa with Fineline Pure Wood. I say simple because it's a very dark color palette without a lot of contrasts. To me, it is a traditional, luxurious look. This may not appeal to everyone, but it is gorgeous to me.

The enhanced instrument cluster (6WA) that comes with the Driver Assistance pkg is perfection. Swear to God, I have gone out to my car and turned on the ignition just to stare at that instrument cluster. I should probably seek professional help at some point, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm digging on the Nappa leather. It is so soft and comfortable. "Like buttah!" The leather dashboard is also a design must, IMO. It certainly won't reduce your enjoyment if you don't get it, but it adds to the look of the interior. It came w/ the Mocha Nappa, and I'm glad that it did. I probably wouldn't have selected it for myself, not realizing what I was missing.

It feels like they have also made some improvements to the multi-contour seats, as they feel a bit more padded and comfortable than the E70. For those of you who have larger frames, a word of warning on the multi-contour seats. I am 6'4" and close to 300#, so I'm a big guy. The bolsters on the seat bottom may be uncomfortable if you're as large as I am. It can take me a while to find the right position for long-distance comfort. That being said, multi-contour are on my must-have list and are in fact the first option I selected. I love them. I actually prefer them because of the extra adjustments on the seat back, particular the side bolsters and the ability to adjust the curve of the back on the top portion.

Even just the feel of the buttons and controls in the cabin is an improvement over the E70. Don't get me wrong, the E70 was nice. But now that I compare it to the F15, the new controls just feel better to the hands. In addition, I sprang for the ceramic controls. They feel a little more solid to the touch, and I also love the polished-black look that they bring, rather than the metallic. If I were going for a more modern trim look, such as the hex aluminum, I might have stayed with the standard metallic controls.

I like some of the new storage features in the F15. The glove box that is on the driver side under the headlamp control is actually a nice feature. I keep my wallet and smaller things in there when I go to the gym and such. It's very convenient. I also like the elastic bands that they've added to the center console, glove box, and cargo area. I use the band in the center console to secure my phone when plugged into the USB port. And I've already made use of the other bands, as well. Small things, but nice add'l features.

I do have to comment on the Ambience Lighting feature. I love this, even though it's a bit gimmicky. It's really cool to be able to adjust the interior lighting in this way, even being able to set the color. I didn't care for the orange light in my E70 much, and the fact I can change to blue or white in the F15...pretty cool, even if it seems like something a teenager would put on their Honda Civic or something.

Auto Start-Stop
Hate this feature. Tried it for a bit and then turned it off. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't work well with Auto Park-Hold feature. For those who don't know, the Auto Park feature allows you to push a button, and the vehicle will engage the parking brake automatically when you come to a complete stop. Press the gas, and the brake releases and you're on your way. It's a great feature so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake at long stop lights (which Florida seems to think are the only stop lights to have...4 or even 5 min wait times...).

Anyway, the problem when combined with the Auto Start-Stop is that the ASS (hehehe) turns the engine off when you press the brake pedal and turns the engine back on when you release the brake pedal, assuming that the computer hasn't determined that the engine needs to start earlier for some reason. However, with the Auto Park-Hold feature engaged, you don't take your foot off of the brake, so the only way to turn on the engine and also disengage the brake is to hit the gas. This introduces a noticeable lag when you hit the gas because the engine has to start up. You no longer have that 1-2 second movement of your foot from brake to accelerator in order for the engine to start. Hate it.

Mods
Several folks have asked about mods in my other thread. Right now, I'm keeping to the basics. I am getting ceramic tint put on tomorrow. Two reasons. First, I live in the Sauna State, and heat reduction is a must. Second, this interior is much too gorgeous to live without UV coverage. I also bought the BMW cargo liner from getbmwparts.com. This is because I have big dog who rides in the cargo area and I don't want to risk an "accident" back there. I am also considering the WeissLicht Spektrum LED Turn Signal Bulbs mentioned by Opasha in a separate thread on this forum. Like the look of those. I'm also researching an Opti-Coat application. Beyond that, no more mods planned. Once I get past the break-in point, I may look at doing some coding. As an IT geek, I'm intrigued at the idea of doing some programming on my car.

Summary
There's a ton more that I could share. As I've been driving, I've been recording notes to myself. I have about 90 minutes of commentary. This truck is amazing. I walk up to it and think it just looks sexy. I walked out of the gym this morning and literally HAD to take a picture because the damn thing just looked so good. It's fun as hell to drive. The comfort is great. The new iDrive is awesome with the 10" screen, cleaner menus, and crisp responsiveness. There is nothing at all that I regret about this vehicle and everything that I enjoy about it. Seriously, if you haven't bought one, what the hell are you waiting for?
      08-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

As another diesel virgin, I'll second your opinion. I may never buy another gas family car again. 5500 miles of driving bliss for me.

I also agree on the steering, although the F25 is better than my 2011 F15 X3. Maybe we'll get back to the "real" BMW steering feel someday.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

Fantastic review and particularly the thoughts for folks transitioning from an E70. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Enjoy your lovely x5!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Thank you for taking the time to write something so much of us are thinking . I really enjoyed it. I agree 100% about the DHP. That's the one thing I do miss... stiffer suspension/more control. However, like you said, it doesn't take away from how great this vehicle is.
      08-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Congrats...excellent review. Makes me very eager to get my M Sport 35D! I have also ordered Mocha Nappa Design interior with Fineline Pure wood.

I have ordered the $900 rear MSport air suspension. I hope this is enough to improve the vehicle's suspension and ride quality (be it comfort or sport).

I do not see (6wa) on my build sheet, but I assume because I ordered the Driver Assistant Package and Driver Assistant Plus, I automatically get 6wa. Correct?

I also notice that when I ordered Mocha Nappa design package that nothing definitively states "leather dash". I assume this is automatically added as well? Correct?

Last edited by SUV55; 08-22-2014 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Congrats...excellent review. Makes me very eager to get my M Sport 35D! I have also ordered Mocha Nappa Design interior with Fineline Pure wood.

I have ordered the $900 rear MSport air suspension. I hope this is enough to improve the vehicle's suspension and ride quality (be it comfort or sport).

I do not see (6wa) on my build sheet, but I assume because I ordered the Driver Assistant Package, I automatically get it. Correct?

I also notice that when I ordered Mocha Nappa design package that nothing definitively states "leather dash". I assume this is automatically added as well? Correct?
Thanks

I can't speak definitively, but I believe that the M-Sport natively has a bit better suspension than the base, Luxury Line, or xLine models. And adding the air suspension should give you better ride quality. Again, not an expert on that, but I've heard good things.

Yes, 6WA comes automatically w/ the Driver Assistance Pkg. And yes, the Mocha Nappa design package automatically includes the leather dash.

Good luck on your new X5...hope your wait isn't too long!

Last edited by DavidTSG; 08-22-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Thanks for the clarifications. I should get it mid October.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

That's an awesome write up Dave.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Great write-up. Can't wait to get mine
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely agree with you about the auto start/stop feature!

Great summary!

Bent
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Thanks for the write-up, I've had my diesel M-Sport for 7 weeks and covered nearly 4000 miles. MPG is steadily improving, I can get >600 miles on a tank.

Regarding the Auto-Start/Stop 'feature' did you know that you can cause the engine to restart (whilst you're still on the brakes either on the pedal or using the auto-hold facility) by moving the steering wheel a little? It's an easy way to get the engine to re-start without actually moving off.
      08-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Great write up and well timed for us. Currently choosing between 35i and 35d for our E70 35i replacement. I drove the D and loved the TQ but ultimately decided I couldn't deal with the way it feels out if breath so quickly when going through the gears. You get a great initial jump that feels very authoritative, almost lifts the whole vehicle, then it needs to shift immediately. Very obvious why it's so much slower than the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
CaliX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Can you post pictures of your 6WA display?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
AnthonyL88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatFlap View Post
Thanks for the write-up, I've had my diesel M-Sport for 7 weeks and covered nearly 4000 miles. MPG is steadily improving, I can get >600 miles on a tank.

Regarding the Auto-Start/Stop 'feature' did you know that you can cause the engine to restart (whilst you're still on the brakes either on the pedal or using the auto-hold facility) by moving the steering wheel a little? It's an easy way to get the engine to re-start without actually moving off.
I got around 4500 miles on my diesel M-Sport and I can get 600 miles on a tank too! Going to the gas station every week is a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
nycebo
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
Yes, 6WA comes automatically w/ the Driver Assistance Pkg.
Great write-up. Very helpful to me.
Speaking of the enhanced instrument cluster, do you know if this will also be the case with the 2015 35i?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #16
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycebo View Post
Great write-up. Very helpful to me.
Speaking of the enhanced instrument cluster, do you know if this will also be the case with the 2015 35i?
Are you asking if the enhanced cluster comes w/ Driver Assistance on the 2015 35i? If that is your question, the answer is yes.
      08-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
carypearson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6 spd

David,

You do know that if you did not order an active suspension, sport mode does not change the handling characteristics of the car, only the power points and throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carypearson View Post
David,

You do know that if you did not order an active suspension, sport mode does not change the handling characteristics of the car, only the power points and throttle response.
Yes, I'm aware. I probably should have said the "feel" as opposed to the "handling".
      08-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #19
carypearson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6 spd

Ah, that makes since

Someone was told by their CA that Sport mode changed the spring settings on his luxury line when he didn't have DHP. That person was very upset when he looked under his car and only found a standard spring and shock setup.

BTW your review was really good over all...making it even harder for me to resist going and ordering a 2015
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carypearson View Post
Ah, that makes since

Someone was told by their CA that Sport mode changed the spring settings on his luxury line when he didn't have DHP. That person was very upset when he looked under his car and only found a standard spring and shock setup.

BTW your review was really good over all...making it even harder for me to resist going and ordering a 2015
You see through my evil plan

I don't blame them for being ticked. It constantly amazes me how poorly informed many CA's are about their own product. If we can get informed with some time dedicated to these forums, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard for the CA's to be informed, also. In some cases, all it would take would be an hour to
      08-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTSG View Post
You see through my evil plan

I don't blame them for being ticked. It constantly amazes me how poorly informed many CA's are about their own product. If we can get informed with some time dedicated to these forums, you'd think it wouldn't be that hard for the CA's to be informed, also. In some cases, all it would take would be an hour to
I agree with you...When I was in store for test drive, I had to explain most of the stuff to the CA He just said, "Man you have pretty much worked out"
Appreciate 0