BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
gomjoon2
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

door pops open when driving

I took my car in to the dealership because the door would pop open when driving. We would drive and usually after making a turn, the outside door would make a popping sound and the door open indicator would turn on. The dealership said they didn't know what the problem was but said they would replace some wire (they said that is what BMW is telling them to do). I got my car back, but it has the same problem. Has anyone else had the problem with their X5 and what did you do to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomjoon2 View Post
I took my car in to the dealership because the door would pop open when driving. We would drive and usually after making a turn, the outside door would make a popping sound and the door open indicator would turn on. The dealership said they didn't know what the problem was but said they would replace some wire (they said that is what BMW is telling them to do). I got my car back, but it has the same problem. Has anyone else had the problem with their X5 and what did you do to fix it?
It's supposedly a big issue with soft close doors if you have that feature. It was discussed extensively here: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1025165
      08-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

This was the exact same concern I had when I was placing my order for my E70 back in '11. Nobody seemed to have any issues with soft closing doors so I went with it and luckily had no issues in last 3 years, now about to place my order for F15 w/soft close doors, and considering that thread is not 20 pages long and the issues are with earlier build dates I am seriously hoping that issue has been addressed by BMWNA and hopefully not existent anymore.
In my opinion SCD option is well worth $600 paid for it.
I really hope BMW makes more options available as stand alone options just like this one, and I was really happy to see this get split from a package and be a standalone option instead in '15 compared to '14.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
This was the exact same concern I had when I was placing my order for my E70 back in '11. Nobody seemed to have any issues with soft closing doors so I went with it and luckily had no issues in last 3 years, now about to place my order for F15 w/soft close doors, and considering that thread is not 20 pages long and the issues are with earlier build dates I am seriously hoping that issue has been addressed by BMWNA and hopefully not existent anymore.
In my opinion SCD option is well worth $600 paid for it.
I really hope BMW makes more options available as stand alone options just like this one, and I was really happy to see this get split from a package and be a standalone option instead in '15 compared to '14.
It is a great option and one I wish I had because my family love to slam doors...ugh. Like you pointed out, it may have already been addressed, but if it hasn't, it's better to just inform your dealership about it before your car arrives to make sure there is no issue. As many of us have already seen/heard/understood, the members here know much more about our vehicles than they do . So yeah...doesn't hurt to bring it to their attention before you're driving it.
      08-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
It is a great option and one I wish I had because my family love to slam doors...ugh. Like you pointed out, it may have already been addressed, but if it hasn't, it's better to just inform your dealership about it before your car arrives to make sure there is no issue. As many of us have already seen/heard/understood, the members here know much more about our vehicles than they do . So yeah...doesn't hurt to bring it to their attention before you're driving it.
I wish it actually stopped people from slamming it, particularly people in my office, I was like "this is not your xyz (insert their vehicle), no need to slam the door, just pull it lightly" they have no clue, I have even had people open the door or try to open it as the soft close was tugging on the door to close it and slam it again. I like it because I have a tight spot in my garage and I never ever have to slam my door, such serenity not having to ever slam the door. No matter issues or not, I am still getting that, even if that means I am not going to have 4 zone climate. I sort of like not having 4 zone climeate, because on E70 there was no "SYNC" or "ALL" button, I hated that. I had to make sure kids did not turn it up to 80 or down to 60 or played around with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
I wish it actually stopped people from slamming it, particularly people in my office, I was like "this is not your xyz (insert their vehicle), no need to slam the door, just pull it lightly" they have no clue, I have even had people open the door or try to open it as the soft close was tugging on the door to close it and slam it again. I like it because I have a tight spot in my garage and I never ever have to slam my door, such serenity not having to ever slam the door. No matter issues or not, I am still getting that, even if that means I am not going to have 4 zone climate. I sort of like not having 4 zone climeate, because on E70 there was no "SYNC" or "ALL" button, I hated that. I had to make sure kids did not turn it up to 80 or down to 60 or played around with it.
I know exactly how you feel, lol. I appreciate my 4 zone climate because I can easily press SYNC whenever the people in the rear are done with using it to their settings. I like balance/homeostasis for my vehicle, so I always keep SYNC on .