08-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

X5 vs ML vs Q7

Hi all -

I must say I'm in love with the new X5, but did any of you test drive the competitors before pulling the trigger? The backseat leg room looks cramped compared to all the rest.. I'd love your feedback.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin
Hi all -

I must say I'm in love with the new X5, but did any of you test drive the competitors before pulling the trigger? The backseat leg room looks cramped compared to all the rest.. I'd love your feedback.

Thanks
Nope.
These are my principal.
Benz - Bad quality of Amarican car with German badge.
Audi - Overpriced entry level German car (VW).

I would compare X5 with Cayenne. It has more comparison between the two as far as quality and performance.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

We test drove the base Porsche Cayenne and a fully loaded 3.0 S-Line Q7. We also just got 2 MLs recently after the BMW.

The Porsche was really slow for the base model and too pricey for it's value. Interior was beautiful though. I liked the stiff suspension of it.

The Q7 was really really comfortable and super roomy for everyone. Definitely a great family car. The power aspect was lacking, which is the obvious thing always with Audis unfortunately. They always underpower their vehicles unless you're buying an S or RS version, but only the Q5 has such a version, but even that's not worth it. The Q7 has a decent suspension, but the ride quality is still quite soft. If it had more HP, then you would be able to test what it can and can't do. The new one is due shortly, so I wonder what changes they are actually making for it.

My mother has a 2014 ML350 4-Matic. The car is very comfortable. She has the synthetic leather. The suspension is decent for what it is. It's not that stiff, but not that soft either. The car is roomy - about the exact same size as the BMW X5. The only downside is, it's really underpowered.

The X5 is definitely the best out of all of them. I'm an SUV guy and really picky with suspension, hp, grip on the road, comfort, etc. The BMW has a beautiful interior and if you get Dakota leather, it's comfortable and durable, while the Nappa is much more comfortable/luxurious. It is really roomy and comfortable for all passengers. I think they did a great thing with this update by increasing the length of the vehicle. The technology in the BMW blows all of these SUVs out of the water. The other great thing is coding is easiest with the BMW if you do plan to code anything. So far, I'm very pleased with it. It has the right power balance as well. Sure, I wish the suspension on mine was much tighter, but that's ok. I still prefer it over the ML and Q7 any day.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

@r33 is also correct. The best comparison for the BMW would be a Cayenne or Range Rover...heck I'd even throw in a fully loaded Infiniti QX70 if you are trying to compare HP/Suspension.
      08-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! I'm in the market for a diesel, so that's what I'll be comparing. I currently own a 2014 550 msport, so believe me I'm all about BMW, there's no better bang for your dollar. I just felt that there wasn't much room in the back compared to the other two vehicles, but then I test drove it again and I felt different. I guess I can always go on the sites and compare.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
franzlyrr
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

hi,
i just got an alpine white X5 and has problems with orange spots on the side, (back of all the tires), do i need to a mud flip? washed car and the orange spots won't come off.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Not sure what that has to do with this thread ... Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
franzlyrr
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

sorry, I'm new and i accidentally posted it here.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
Thanks guys! I'm in the market for a diesel, so that's what I'll be comparing. I currently own a 2014 550 msport, so believe me I'm all about BMW, there's no better bang for your dollar. I just felt that there wasn't much room in the back compared to the other two vehicles, but then I test drove it again and I felt different. I guess I can always go on the sites and compare.
Yeah, the diesel is a really good option. It offers the best balance between power and fuel economy (some reported in the mid 600 miles). Make sure if you are sitting in one with rear comfort seats, to roll the seats all the way back (this is the standard position and how far back the seats are in one without rear comfort seats). Personally, the quality of the rear comfort seats is not as nice as the other seats. I saw a seven seater version and compared the second row of my 5.0i to a 3.5i with rear comfort seats. The regular seats seem to be better build quality. That's just my opinion. Also, let us know what packages you're considering so we can help you further. Good luck and happy buying .
      08-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

I had a Q7 SLine.
My Wife has the ML350
I have a X5 i35D MSport

Overall the X5 wins, but the Q7 drove much nicer.
X5 better tech, when it works, have issues with Local Weather Clock not refreshing.
iDrive screen way better then Q7.
ML350 is a Tank, great Wife car IMO.
Wheels on my Q7 would get tons of brake dust, Zero on the X5.
X5 has weird lock and unlocking issues not to mention the stupid radio doesn't turn off when you open the door. You either have to press the Start Stop button a second time, make sure your foot is OFF the brake or you will restart the car. Or close and walk away from your car, the radio will still be playing until either 5 min or you lock your car, lame.
I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them, I Leased and the X5 is the best, MB 2nd and Audi 3rd for a Lease that is.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I love the X5 but this car is really for my wife, but the space factor along with performance is the biggest key.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Family owns a Q7 4.2 for years, it's the car I drive or sit in whenever I visit Taipei, thought I can weigh in on the issue.

Q7's rear leg room is definitely top of the competition, easily beats X5, ML, by quite a margin. We originally purchased the Q7 from the rear passenger perspective, so in that regard Q7 more than enough got the job done. It has comfortably carried the four of us and a huge dog through the years.

I can't speak for the newest Q7 in term of power because no more V8 variance is be offered, but our Q7 delivered great power throughout the power band. The car feels sturdy and heavy, and it's always reminding you are driving a truck. I used to think Q7 was the prettiest looking truck on the road for a very long time, but just like any other car its design is now dated. If you are serious about Q7 you must wait until 2016 redesign comes out.

X5 feels very sporty and agile on the road. V8 power is leagues above Q7, and diesel engine is very responsive as well. iDrive system is so intuitive after years of refinement and BMW head up display further compliments the excellent cabin tech. The rear leg room is deecnt, although I must say I expect more from X5 as it is just slightly bigger than X3.

Until the next generation Q7 hits the market, X5 is just a better choice.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
plake
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

My wife has a Q5 V6 supercharged, she loves it and so do I. It has great power and fits her needs as far as size. I would really hate to call it a VW, but that's your choice. I am driving the VW Touareg TDI and will be ordering a X5 35d, the VW is great but I feel the X5 is just somewhat better. Drove the MB with the diesel, ML350, also a great vehicle but its no longer available, now a 4 cylinder diesel. The Q7 is to big for me and a real dog with the diesel in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
JSteinMD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X5 50i SAV

My in-laws have two ML350 bluetec and I cannot understand why they would want that car when they could have an X5. Albeit, my X5 50i has much more power than a diesel, but the drive, fit and finish and cabin tech in the X5 is way ahead of the ML.

As mentioned above, the Q7 is badly in need of redesign and is not worth considering unless there is a huge discount (which Audi never seems to offer on a lease).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Nope, for 2 reasons:

1. We had the previous generation ML and I HATED it. Looked nice (at the time), but drove like a pick-up truck. My wife loved it at first, thus we chose it over the Q7 (we were just getting out of an E70 and wanted a change, else would've been another X5 then). I preferred the Q7, but not enough to overrule what she wanted more. She even grew to hate it as soon as we had a baby and she rode in the back seat, getting sea sick…. It has obviously since been redesigned since the one we had (a 2010), but the reviews haven't done anything to make me even want to test drive the "new(ish) and improved" model that from all accounts I've read, is still unimpressive in the handling department.

2. The Q7, I did check lease prices a bit before getting the F15, but didn't go out and test drive or get serious because they simply do not lease as well to compete with the X5, unless you need the added space it clearly does give. We also just really wanted to get back into an X5. We almost went with the outgoing E70 one more time, but couldn' find one with a build close enough to what we wanted and they weren't making any more. Regarding the Q7, I disagree with those that said that it's entry level or a dress-ed up VW. It is dated, but it is no entry level vehicle. While I'm a big fan of the Touareg, there is a definite difference in the "fit and finish" of the T-reg vs. Q7, at least there was when I was last in a Q7.

Once our X5 lease is up in 2.5 years, I may give the Q7 another look, as we may want a true 3rd row and the extra length it offers I assume gives a true 3rd row. It will also be all new by then, so I'm looking forward to it's debut. That said, the X5 is the perfect SUV IMHO, so I'll always stick with or come back to it. May also give the GL a look, as I've heard from some friends that it actually handles and drives better than the ML.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Our x5 will be done tomorrow. We are picking up Sept 8th.

I have to disagree on the mercedes being poor quality. This x5 will be for my wife and she was sad today thinking about losing her car. She has a 2002 ML500 with the v8 and it has never had a repair other than any wear item. We did do some motor mounts about 150K miles, but i am told that is from wear. We got new tires at 170K and firestone did their free alignment check and told me it was prefect, they could not improve. We are simply ready for something new and our daughter is turning 16 soon, so she will inherit it. We are at 199K and it drives like the day we got it.

We have been a mercedes family forever, but we did not like a few things in the current ml, the biggest being a delay in acceleration. We test drove the ML5550, ML350BT, GL350, GL450, and GL500. We liked the GL550 a lot, but it was 100K and got 12-13MPG. Just didnt feel right. Another thing that annoyed us was the headrests simply being too forward. We may have gotten used to it, but we liked the seats in the X5 better. I am 6'3" and i like the thigh extender thing. I admit i cannot sit in the back seat of the X5 at all with the front passenger set at anything but about halfway forward. I do not think the ML is any different though. I will give the nod to the ML having a little more comfortable back seat, but not by too much. We ordered the comfort rears hoping it helps some. I do not plan on being back there. We took our 16 yr old on the test drive and she liked the rear seats just fine. I still have a Yukon XL for the times i need real room. If you have a family of 5 i would think this is not the right car.

We drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and it was a beast. The Launch button is a hoot. But the one in the showroom had plastic parts not fitting well and we saw no way the jeep would hold up over 200K like oue ML has. We moved on.

We test drove the MLs and GLs about 5-6 times trying to like it but just didnt as well as we hoped. We wanted something more fun to drive. I cant think we would be satisfied with a 4 cylinder diesel. I think mercedes is crazy getting rid of the ml350BT

We did not look at Audi Q7 as that model is in its last year and i don't fit well in it. Certainly cant fit in a Q5 but that doesnt compare to the X5 I dont think.

About three weeks ago we stopped in at Porsche. We fell in love with a Cayenne Turbo that was certified pre owned, a 2011. They put a 6 yr bumper to bumper warranty on it from original service date so we were good til 2017, and it drove liek a dream. Surprisingly it was the most comfortable and had the most room. I could easily cross my legs in the front seat and the rear was very comfortable. The oroginal price was 143ish new and they were asking 74k for the used. Wife simply decided she did not want to drive a porsche name plate into work as she owns a business and thought the BMW was more popular and therefore less "snotty" for lack of a better word. The tires and the 6 piston brakes on that Cayenne were also a fortune and the tires last 12-15k miles and cost about 500 bucks at least. Also there is no way it would work in the snow without changing to a winter set. We did not test out the other models or new models. But I have to say we were impressed and they make a good car.

I loved the 50i i test drove but we ended up getting the 35d as we thought the acceleration was adequate and we do alot of highway driving every weekend to a second home. If i got the 50i i would get the DHP, and if i got that may as well get the B&O for another $4,500. So it was 92-94K and probably worth it, just is alot ot pay for any car. I also remembered it was her car and I care more about the badass feeling of the big v8 than she does. We still second guess the choice and the gas really isnt that much more a year, but we went practical and loaded our up and think we will be plenty happy. If not we can drive long enough for that 16 yr old to get it at maybe 22-23 yrs old. We actually found out that she wanted to go on the test drive to put in her vote for her next hand me down. Kids are smarter than we think sometimes.

Main thing is all these choices are very personal and lord knows there are enough choices out there, even after you choose your brand.

Good luck and happy shopping
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
CJ_LO
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35I

Garage List
2014 F15 X5 35I  [0.00]
I had the previous generation ML for 2 months and did not like it at all. While it is very comfortable but it drives just like a boat. My girlfriend recently picked up a m-sport 35i x5 and it blew my mind. Since we never had a chance to test the car before purchasing due to low supply I was just stunned on how nice and sedan like it drives in my first experience. Great Great Buy!!!

Never thought I would enjoy a SUV!!! I've been missing out!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #17
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Although the X5 does not compare to the GL, Motortrend has a great write up on the GL a couple months ago. They said although no one particularly liked driving it, everyone wanted it. They put 40,000 miles on their tester in short amount of time, a year i think. They also stated "no one expects a buffalo to do the waltz". People liked the large size but not the drive. It also had some repair issues.

In 2002 ML was ahead of any competition but not today

I think that summed it up well for the ML and GL, they are "boat like" they tried to make them all luxury and no driver feedback. We wanted to replace ours, which is 2-3 generations ago (2002), but we just couldn't like it as much as we wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
Wheels on my Q7 would get tons of brake dust, Zero on the X5.
Very interesting.... my experience is the opposite on the brake dust on the rims.
My neighbor has a Q5 ( not Q7 ) with absolutely no brake dust on her rims.. but on my X5 ( E70 ) can go from nice silver to dark charcoal rims by one week.

Anyone else with a F15 with clean front rims?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
Nope.
These are my principal.
Benz - Bad quality of Amarican car with German badge.
Audi - Overpriced entry level German car (VW).

I would compare X5 with Cayenne. It has more comparison between the two as far as quality and performance.
Took the words out of my mouth. At the end, it was down to Cayenne or X5 for me, having had three Merc products (two german built and one R500 AMG package), and three BMW products (X5 is the first US built for me) in the past, I was not going to buy a Merc, unless it was the E350 4-matic (German build).

I have several friends with Audi products. For one, the Q7 is bulky, and two, every audi I have been in rattles after 30-40k miles, as if the dash is glued with snot.

The Cayenne was ruled out because the center console is slanted and there is nowhere for all the knickknacks my wife carries around. It has the advantage of a touch screen.

Other

ML: since the first generation, is one of the ugliest series of cars ever produced to my eyes.

Cayenne: looks the best. And on occasion I wish I had bought it, now that I know they can easily plug and play into Euro taillights with amber turn signals.

Space

It was a factory initially. Then we opted to buy an older LX570 as the beach/ski/camping car. If you really need a spacious SUV that can handle backcountry and problematic surfaces, none of the three mentioned cut it. We now have an LX470 that we will upgrade for the aforementioned purposes. Third row is huge, space is huge, well built and tough, guzzles 2.5x as much gas as the X5d consumes diesel. More sluggish, dated interior, rougher ride....but fits the bill for our purpose.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-18-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
gikseiman
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW

I was debating that for a while and did test drive the exact 3 you mentioned.

I liked the X5 drive instantly. So much more than the Q7 and ML.

Don't get me wrong, personally I think all 3 were great, at the end of the day, personal preference. I wanted the sportier option.

The Q7 3rd row seats are sooooooooooo much more comfortable than the X5, but then it is about 20cm longer which was too big for us as you can't really park that monster easily in the UK parking spaces.

No 3rd row option in ML so that was out of the question pretty quick.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
Hi all -

Thanks
I have driven lots of ML's, the touareg, Cayenne, but not the Q7. I actually was going to buy the q7 3.0tdi plugin hybrid when the new car comes out, but it won't be available for probably a year and I couldn't wait, so at the moment I cannot recommend it, the replacement will be 350kg lighter!!!. The X5 has all the gadgets as a Mercedes S class except massage and magic suspension, so one can be sure the car is technologically a forerunner. It is the only modern 7 seater. I think it looks good. The ML just looks and drives boring, I so wanted to like it, but in my opinion the older model was much better, 70 year old people seem to like it. Bmws have excellent steering feel and the most economical and at the same time powerful engines. The X5 just arrived, so it is going to be modern for atheist the next six years. If you are looking for a 7 seater, the Volvo xc90 will have interesting engines and it is unveiled next week, it should look good too. I, however, also like how Bmw makes big cars agile, and one more reason to go for X5. The X5 rear seats are also flat and so is the floor in the center, very convenient the only problem is that the child seat latches are positioned closer to the center, so there is actually not a big space between child seats, I don't know why they did that.

Last edited by kip1; 08-18-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
I have driven lots of ML's, the touareg, Cayenne, but not the Q7. I actually was going to buy the q7 3.0tdi when the new car comes out, but it won't be available for probably a year and I couldn't wait, so at the moment I cannot recommend it, the replacement will be 350kg lighter!!!. The X5 has all the gadgets as a Mercedes S class except massage and magic suspension, so one can be sure the car is technologically a forerunner. It is the only modern 7 seater. I think it looks good. The ML just looks and drives boring, I so wanted to like it, but in my opinion the older model was much better, 70 year old people seem to like it. Bmws have excellent steering feel and the most economical and at the same time powerful engines. The X5 just arrived, so it is going to be modern for atheist the next six years. If you are looking for a 7 seater, the Volvo xc90 will have interesting engines and it is unveiled next week, it should look good too. I, however, also like how Bmw makes big cars agile, and one more reason to go for X5. The X5 rear seats are also flat and so is the floor in the center, very convenient the only problem is that the child seat latches are positioned closer to the center, so there is actually not a big space between child seats, I don't know why they did that.
I'm actually curious about the Volvo too. My cousin has the polestar edition S60 - the thing is wicked fast for a 5 seater sedan. The new Volvo vehicles hands down have the MOST comfortable interior out of any car that I have ever sat in. When I sat in the S80 at the Detroit Auto Show, I was blown away. Of course the technology is slightly dated, which is why it will be interested to see what the new one has in store. Volvos have strong engines as well.