BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
xiljustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Must haves

Before I order my X5 Msport, what are there must have options to include on my build? From what I've read, the adaptive suspension is a must have.

Appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Definately get the adaptive suspension.
I'd say:
- Surround View cameras
- driving assistance plus package
- active steering

I really regret not having active steering since I love anything that relates to better handling.

other options i would recommend is the panoramic roof, nappa dash board (comes with the executive package along with HK sound system and soft close doors).
I have the basic sound system on my X5 and I don't like it frankly. Apparently there are a lot of things I regret not having on my car!
And good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiljustin View Post
Before I order my X5 Msport, what are there must have options to include on my build? From what I've read, the adaptive suspension is a must have.

Appreciate the feedback
I'll go against the grain here. I got every single option on my X5d except for DHP and Active Steering. My truck does have the Adaptive M suspension, but not full DHP. I just couldn't justify the 4.5K cost to add a "race ready" suspension to an SUV. If I want that kind of performance, I'll buy an M3, the X5 is my grocery getter (wife's car) and long trip vehicle, not my track car.

The only "must have" option for me on this truck is an interior design package. All the rest, for me, were nice to have. But I wasn't going to buy this truck if it didn't have a nice interior, which, with the design package, it now does.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
vadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: suv

Must have for me was Multi Contour seat. I am 6'3 and regular seat was terrible for me
We also take road trips every weekend to the mountains and I had to have the AAC stop and go, So i got driver assist and driver assist Plus. I have heard the base sound is not good so i got the HK. Adaptive M, Space Saver spare so i can switch to non run flats if i want.

Other things i ordered were nice to have:
lighting package, Mocha Design, ceramic controls, rear shades, parking assit, comfort rear seats, Enhanced Bluetooth, cold weather package, premium package, luxury seating package

Only thing we did not get were DHP, agree with above comments, B&O as wife listen to AM talk radio and its her car, and Active steering as i read you dont need it. I also opted to stay with the 19: wheels as daughter is ski racer and we drive in snow and mountains all the time and did not want to have to switch our tires/wheels. Wanted those nice looking 20's but went practical on that one
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
kanate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35d

- HUD
- Surround View
- HK sound
- Better seats
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Bang and Olufsen
Interior design package
Led lights
HUD
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Please add "keyless" as a must.
But people not used to it - don't really know.

I got this long time ago - by pure coincidence in a...yes...basic Nissan.
In all other cars after that - its a must have.

The fact that you do not have to look or grab after your keys each time locking/unlocking - is just a huge PLUS in a (luxury) car as this.

Here in Norway it is - as so many other things - crazy prized - but it was my clear #2 option to tick off after the comfort seats.

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadriver View Post
Must have for me was Multi Contour seat. I am 6'3 and regular seat was terrible for me
We also take road trips every weekend to the mountains and I had to have the AAC stop and go, So i got driver assist and driver assist Plus. I have heard the base sound is not good so i got the HK. Adaptive M, Space Saver spare so i can switch to non run flats if i want.

Other things i ordered were nice to have:
lighting package, Mocha Design, ceramic controls, rear shades, parking assit, comfort rear seats, Enhanced Bluetooth, cold weather package, premium package, luxury seating package

Only thing we did not get were DHP, agree with above comments, B&O as wife listen to AM talk radio and its her car, and Active steering as i read you dont need it. I also opted to stay with the 19: wheels as daughter is ski racer and we drive in snow and mountains all the time and did not want to have to switch our tires/wheels. Wanted those nice looking 20's but went practical on that one
vadriver , why you need Space Saver spare to add no run flat tires, i think you just change the tires from rft to normal and thats all, so if i wanna put 22 inch wheeles and non rft do i have to make or add something? or just replace?
and thats all
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
vadriver , why you need Space Saver spare to add no run flat tires, i think you just change the tires from rft to normal and thats all, so if i wanna put 22 inch wheeles and non rft do i have to make or add something? or just replace?
and thats all
Space saver spare is a skinny temporary tire. If you have a non-runflat, it will either lose slight air depending on the object that penetrated it or damaged it or it will completely deflate to flat. In this scenario, there is no way you can drive so you have to change your tire. Thus, the space saver spare is used. It's just a spare tire, buddy . With run-flats, it is a tubing system that allows you to keep driving I'd say 50 miles or so even when you get a puncture - allowing you to get to your destination/nearby shop to change your tire safely without having to pull over to jack up your car and change the tire.
      08-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Space saver spare is a skinny temporary tire. If you have a non-runflat, it will either lose slight air depending on the object that penetrated it or damaged it or it will completely deflate to flat. In this scenario, there is no way you can drive so you have to change your tire. Thus, the space saver spare is used. It's just a spare tire, buddy . With run-flats, it is a tubing system that allows you to keep driving I'd say 50 miles or so even when you get a puncture - allowing you to get to your destination/nearby shop to change your tire safely without having to pull over to jack up your car and change the tire.
i get it i remmber whats is a spare tire sometimes my reading english sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuKEnFoLdMX View Post
i get it i remmber whats is a spare tire sometimes my reading english sucks.
No worries . That's why we are here to help.
      08-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What is a must for others may not be a must for you.

For instance, DHP is a must for me (active roll stabilization is a godsend to a 4.5k lb giant car), but it is really expensive and many people don't feel its a must. I've had it on 2 out of 3 Xs so far and I won't go back.

1) Do you want a rear view camera? Then you need Driver Assistance Package. I don't think anyone would say that you don't need a backup camera.

2) Driver Assistance Plus is a bunch of junk that you may not want, but the surround view camera is a really good thing to have. You can get that separately and pay ~$1200 less. The other stuff in the package is nice to have, but not musts.

3) Are you going to carry passengers in the back regularly? Then you should look at the Premium Package for the 4zone climate control. Although some people that only regularly carry small children don't think its necessary. Those small children get bigger though.

4) If you plan on changing to non-run-flat tires and you don't want to throw caution to the wind, you should get a space-saver spare.

5) If you want your body to feel good, you should get multi-contour seats (they're the most comfortable piece of 'furniture' I own).

6) If you have shoulder problems, you should probably get active steering. Don't just assume that 'girls need active steering to drive this big truck around'. That's just not true. However, if you have shoulder issues, it is.

7) If you don't want to take your keys out of your pocket, then you need comfort access, which is only in the premium package. As someone else has said, if you haven't had it before, you'd be surprised how fast you get used to it. You start to become one with your car.

8) If you listen to anything other than AM radio, then you should probably get HK Sound.

Last edited by Barbja; 08-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Added HKSound
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post

For instance, DHP is a must for me (active roll stabilization is a godsend to a 4.5k lb giant car), but it is really expensive and many people don't feel its a must. I've had it on 2 out of 3 Xs so far and I won't go back.

1) Do you want a rear view camera? Then you need Driver Assistance Package. I don't think anyone would say that you don't need a backup camera.

2) Driver Assistance Plus is a bunch of junk that you may not want, but the surround view camera is a really good thing to have. You can get that separately and pay ~$1200 less. The other stuff in the package is nice to have, but not musts.

3) Are you going to carry passengers in the back regularly? Then you should look at the Premium Package for the 4zone climate control. Although some people that only regularly carry small children don't think its necessary. Those small children get bigger though.

4) If you plan on changing to non-run-flat tires and you don't want to throw caution to the wind, you should get a space-saver spare.

5) If you want your body to feel good, you should get multi-contour seats (they're the most comfortable piece of 'furniture' I own).

6) If you have shoulder problems, you should probably get active steering. Don't just assume that 'girls need active steering to drive this big truck around'. That's just not true. However, if you have shoulder issues, it is.

7) If you don't want to take your keys out of your pocket, then you need comfort access, which is only in the premium package. As someone else has said, if you haven't had it before, you'd be surprised how fast you get used to it. You start to become one with your car.
Nicely written, @Barbja . I wish I had DHP on mine. I miss the tight suspension feel of my FX35, and judging by what you and others have said, it really helps get closer to that with the DHP. Ah, the drawbacks of buying your car on the lot, lol.
      08-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Options I love most on my truck;
1. DHP: it really is that much better than adaptive suspension (I tried them both)
2. Comfort seats: I got the lux seat package but beware that the vents are not very strong. Seats are very comfortable but ventilation is ok at best.
3. I love my LED lights
4. Driver assistance, driver assistance plus and ACC
5. HK sound
I did go a bit option-crazy checking almost all of them, but in the end, I ended up w a car suited to my driving style and habits. (This is my truck, my wife has the x3).

My notable omissions (if you care)
1. Napa leather (I have young kids)
2. Active steering (I have other cars and the change in rack ratio will inevitably lead to me curbing my wheels)

Good luck, try to find examples and test with and without certain options and make your own choices!!

Last edited by providence; 09-11-2014 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #15
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post

8) If you listen to anything other than AM radio, then you should probably get HK Sound.
Nice summary Barbja.

You don't mention HUD which everyone seems to rave about.
I don't have it but as the saying goes what you don't have you can't miss, right.

The things I enjoy on my car are the HK, Connected Drive, Winter Pack with the heated steering wheel, Auxillary Heating and Snap In Adaptor with makes connecting my iPhone a doddle.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #16
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Providence, have you posted anywhere a comparison review of DHP vs Adaptive M (rear axle air suspension)? If so please provide link. If not please make a comparison here to help us decide which one is a must have. Please let us know the differences and also how much Adaptive M improved ride/handling over the base spring suspension (non-adaptive M). I have an M Sport on order with the $900 suspension upgrade. It is rare to find someone who has actually compared both. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #17
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Nice summary Barbja.

You don't mention HUD which everyone seems to rave about.
I don't have it but as the saying goes what you don't have you can't miss, right.

The things I enjoy on my car are the HK, Connected Drive, Winter Pack with the heated steering wheel, Auxillary Heating and Snap In Adaptor with makes connecting my iPhone a doddle.
Auxillary Heating is still not available in the US. Correct?

Last edited by SUV55; 08-23-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Auxillary Heating is still not available in the US. Correct?
I think you're correct sir.....which is nice for us
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I have the following:
  • Sunroof
  • HK
  • Sports seats
  • Surround view
  • HUD
  • 20" 451 wheels
  • Pure experience
  • Sports 8AT
  • DAB

It's my wife's daily driver so pointless putting M sports package. If I want to drive spiritedly then I have my E92 ///3. Best of both worlds
      08-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

HUD with speed limit info (8th). The Canadian F25 speedometer only displays km. The HUD can be converted to miles.

Last edited by barcelona; 08-23-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35xi, F15 X5 (35d), 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
Providence, have you posted anywhere a comparison review of DHP vs Adaptive M (rear axle air suspension)? If so please provide link. If not please make a comparison here to help us decide which one is a must have. Please let us know the differences and also how much Adaptive M improved ride/handling over the base spring suspension (non-adaptive M). I have an M Sport on order with the $900 suspension upgrade. It is rare to find someone who has actually compared both. Thanks.
I'll do my best, first off, disclaimer; the test drive was not used to make my decision to get the DHP, I drove the car out of pure curiosity.
Last week I was visiting my AD for a service-related cause on the X3. (We had to drive both SUV's because it was also my son's 6th b-day and we were hosting a party for him at a nearby zoo). The opportunity presented itself to test a f15 50i MSport (with optional M adaptive suspension). First off the 50i is an animal! That truck is ungodly fast!!
And there is nothing better than its engine sound!
My test drive coursed thru city, highway and even a clobber-stoned section of pavement.
The MSport felt well poised and planted. In the city (potholes) it was noticeably more jarring/ rough of a ride. The car felt closest to my 1M in these conditions, almost unforgiving at times. But with the V8's note it came off well! (kinda brawny/masculine).
The highway section of the drive was particularly interesting, it consisted of a long right-handed curved on ramp and an off ramp (another right) with increasing curve-angle. Merging onto the speedway, again the car felt solid, no drama, wasn't pushing it so there was minimal roll, again that intoxicating V8 note had me grinning. At 70 mph while overtaking again this car felt quite sporty, but there was much more body roll.
Now getting off the highway started well, it is a section of road that I'm well familiar with... Traveling considerably above the recommended 35 mph, I became distracted by the trying to concentrate on the body roll (which honestly wasn't disgusting by any means). I encountered a slower moving car around the sharpest angled part of the corner and had to brake. I didn't hit anything but gosh there was waaaay more "dive" than I'd expect. Not bad for a car this size but still a bit clumsy.
My favorite part of these test drives is at a traffic circle. Flogging the car from rest, was exhilarating, the engine noise, the road noise/ feel was a delight, way better than any previous test drives in that section of road.
The clobber stone section was simply ridiculous, again reminded me of a big 1M.
Now after returning the car I drove my F15 on the same course (drove two cars to the dealers). I immediately noticed how much more quiet things were in the city, ride comfort was definitely heightened. On the highway weaving thru traffic: flat!! (reminds me of my 1M). I did not have any drama getting off like on my previous trip, but was able to travel insanely fast and insanely flat thru the entire section.
I've had a few hard braking situations in my truck, it's always amazing how little "diving" is associated w these stops, it's kinda like watching gymnastics during the dismount, DHP always sticks it!!
The traffic circle was the single element that sold me on the diesel on my initial F15 test drive back in March. Waiting then pouncing from dead stop was soo addicting in the diesel I actually did it 3 times back then! With my truck the launch was almost "elegant", brutal but yet sophisticated, kinda like a horse, leaping over a barricade.
Clobber stone section was more bearable in my car.
Conclusion: the adaptive M suspension is firm and sporty but there is still tons of roll which ultimately REMINDS you of the size of this vehicle. DHP is somehow more comfortable in the bumps but somehow with the agility and lack of roll that causes you to FORGET how big this car really is. The 50i Msport w adaptive suspension is like riding a Bull! The 35d with DHP is like riding a horse.
I did not drive a F15 w reg suspension that day, my last encounter with such car was back in March, I remember not being trilled, which led me to ordering the DHP.

I KNOW THIS IS NOT necessarily an apple to Apple comparison, better would have been between an Msport 35d w adaptive M susp and my car w DHP.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #22
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very thorough review...thanks!

I am in New England and drive up to VT and NH often, so I have ordered 19" wheels. Not sure with 19s if DHP would still be worth it.

I am a bit concerned that going with Adaptive M may to get me to where I want to be. I like how you say the X5 drove smaller with DHP, which to me sounds like its starting to drive like a Cayenne.

My logic to getting Adaptive M was that my first priority is a nice smooth (non-jarring) ride so I would likely leave it in comfort mode 90% of the time so I thought DHP might be overkill, but from what your telling me, even in comfort mode and maybe even in sport mode, DHP gives a smoother ride AND a sportier ride with flat handling and no nose diving.

I do like how small, flat and agile the Cayenne felt when I test drove it and it seems like DHP got you there.

Last edited by SUV55; 09-04-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0