BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

How should the high beam assistant work?

I have had only limited experience with the high beam assistant, but it never seems to put the high beams on, even when driving in dark conditions. I have had the lights in automatic mode on the left light switch and then I have pressed the lower button of the left blinker stalk and a green a-light appears on the dash. This should be the right position, am I right?

As the high beams seem to never come on and I would like to get high beams earlier, does the adaptive system work also when I set the high beams on manually = blue light on dash? Is the system speed depending?

It seems like I nice system, but not very well explained in the manual.

Also I was wondering if the dynamic light spot only works when imminent danger is suspected, because I have not yet seen it flash at any pedestrian.

There should be a test center where you could see all these systems working, so you dont doubt wheter or not they work at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

It should work like this everywhere, except in the US where it is just a automatic high beam. You can thank DOT:

You can code around this however. There are several threads about changing codes so that it behaves per above.

_
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
kip1
Captain
Rep

I have seen the video before I took the lights, but can anyone with real hands on experience comment please.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
....can anyone with real hands on experience comment please.
Don't know what you mean by that. I ordered it because it came with the LED Package. Mine dim and get bright as you would manually change between high and low.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Don't know what you mean by that. I ordered it because it came with the LED Package. Mine dim and get bright as you would manually change between high and low.
He meant decoding that option to make it Euro Spec.

I think several members have already done that, you can search forum for that thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I've coded mine. But, since I live in Los Angeles, I can't really test it.
As far as I know, whoever in front of me never gets mad or throw a finger at me.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if I was not clear.

1.My main question was that if you put high beams manually on=blue dash light, do they adapt still, or has the dash have to have the green a light?
2.My complaint is that high beams don't seem to come on with the green a even in darkness on a winding slow road.
3. I was also wondering whether or not my slow speed on a bad road causes them to not come on, as all the videos are from a dark highway.

I hope I am more clear of the what bothers me with the assistant. With the green a light the headlamps seem to get dimmer and brighter and sway around, but no high beam so far. I would appreciate input on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
Carmo99
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Hello, I use this all the time as I drive regular across Europe. At first I thought it wasn't working but I saw quickly how clever it is. I now leave in on all the time. The most impressive feature is when folllowing someone it "cuts" the high beam in the middle but lights up the sides. On the motorway it adjust to oncoming traffic, cars in front, etc.
If you do a lot of night driving then you will soon see its a must have.
To really see it working you have to be on a dark unlit road, switch it on and then see how it reacts when conditions change.
I should add, green is active and blue shows high beam (or part of it) is active. Ie green means its on and blue comes on and off as high beam is automatically switched on and off.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #9
kip1
Captain
Rep

Sounds like they work best on highways. Have you tried manually setting it to blue by pulling the stalk? Do they still adapt=doesn't annoy anyone, or are they then fully on=no adaptation, full light?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:07 AM   #10
Carmo99
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Quote:
Sounds like they work best on highways. Have you tried manually setting it to blue by pulling the stalk? Do they still adapt=doesn't annoy anyone, or are they then fully on=no adaptation, full light?
This I don't know. I'll try tonight.
According to the manual, it can be manual also, ie permanently on. This is via the stalk push for on, pull for off/flash

Last edited by Carmo99; 08-30-2014 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Think I fully understand your questions Kip1.

Mine seems to work (or not work?) in the same way.
I have never "gotten to the point" that so many of the answers here try to explain - simply seems the high beam light never turns on at all.
Pressing the handle - so the blue icon (so full high beam lights turn on) seems to immediately turn off the Auto-feature anyway.

Guess I will have to wait a few weeks more and drive out to the bush - to see if any light come on.

Cheers
Bent
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #12
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post
Think I fully understand your questions Kip1.

Pressing the handle - so the blue icon (so full high beam lights turn on) seems to immediately turn off the Auto-feature anyway.
Bent
This is why I am interested in if adaptation stays on if full high beams are on. That would mean in certain situations I could override the automatic feature and leave them at high beam, while the adaptation would take care of the rest, but I am afraid this is not the case and then I suspect it only works on highways, not small cottage roads, where I would mostly need it, with full high beam in the pitch black forest with the rare occasional oncoming car. Last night I had to work them manually, which was a disappointment as the high beams never came on, which raised the question am I doing something wrong, this is why I suspect speed is a factor because these roads are very slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmo99 View Post
This I don't know. I'll try tonight.
According to the manual, it can be manual also, ie permanently on. This is via the stalk push for on, pull for off/flash
Exactly, thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
atlantiQue
bmw x5 x25d
Belgium
Rep
Drives: x5 x25d

@kip1 and @BXdriver, there must be some issue with your systems. In my car the blue control light of high beam automatically pops-in and out depending on the light conditions of the road. I only drive on auto mode, never switch to high beam manually, so cannot say if this would disable the auto feature or not. It is true, when you turn the auto feature on for the very first time it usually takes a bit of a delay (a minute perhaps) to initialize (i.e. green control A-light only) but after that the auto feature works well and the blue control light and high beams turn on and off on dark roads (and even if there is still some - but not much - light on them). Speed has nothing to do with it in my case, I could drive slowly and the high beam would keep being on.
      08-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I believe it only work once you reach 30mph.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
Captain Douchebag
Rep
Drives: none

Stole this from another forum.

"The HBA enables at 40 mph, yet if you slow down below 40mph once activated, it will continue to work until 20mph and then shut off. Also glare free will not work with your fog lights on. This system I believe is made for dark unlit roads, just like the roads BMW shows in their video. It does work in the city but any light it sees, it will think is a car. For instance I was coming over a hill and the car saw the stoplight low in the road so it thought it was the taillights of another car and made a tunnel around the stoplight. Another problem with using in the city is if there are multiple cars in its view, the system will just shut off completely. A quick easy test to see if the HBA will work is to aim your headlights at a wall. If it is coded correctly when you turn your fog lights on the left headlight will raise up and move in towards the center. When you turn off the fog lights the left headlight will lower and move left away from the center of the vehicle. If you don't have fog lights, obviously you can't do this test."

The video in this thread show it in action. Notice the blue high beam light only comes on above 40.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=850794
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Captain Douchebag
Rep
Drives: none

Might be 40KPH vs MPH. Perhaps someone handy with the computer can find a code to lower this threshold?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
kip1
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys, I bet this limit is the problem. I have night vision, so no fog lights, just the flying spot light.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #19
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you are hacking, on other threads I have seen codes for changing the limit. I saved the text, but I don't recall where the thread is (possibly on non F15). I intend to code when I get my car back (now with dealer 18 days, with me 14). This is what I copied for later use, to give to a coder. I can't code.

User KTULA Light Anti Dazzle feature:
I've confirmed it indeed works. I did more than removing 5AP. I also removed 8S4. I then coded FEM_BODY with the new FA, and FDL coded these:

C_HBA_GRHB_ENA: changed werte from 00 to 01
C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA: changed werte from 00 to 01

And optional setting for activation:
C_HBA_ENA_V_LO werte=18 (15 MPH)
C_HBA_ENA_V_HI werte=28 (25 MPH)

Other Method by “Frogman":
I didn't FDL code anything; I simply removed 5AP and 8S4 from the FA and VO coded FLA and FEM_BODY. That was it.

Another Portion from “Frogman"
FEM_BODY / 3073 / C_AFS_ENA should now be Fxxenable (was Fxxdisable)
FEM_BODY / 3073 / C_HBA_ENA should now be Fxxenable (was Fxxdisable)

FLA / 3000 / Lucid_Image_Height should now be Lucid (7A) (was Non-Lucid).
FLA / 3000 / Lucid_HL_Height should now be Lucid (40) (was Non-Lucid)

FLA / 3001 / DFL_Vehicle should now be Verbaut (was NichtVerbaut)

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-30-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Matt, thank you for gathering this information. I remember posting it about here and there. It's actually pretty easy to FA code and FDL code this stuff. FA coding is permanent VO Coding - all you do is add or delete codes like 6WB, 5AP, 8S4 in this list - it gives you like a big list of what's FA coded into your target vehicle. Here's a PDF that makes it really easy to understand how to code FA: http://84.54.187.213/upload/private/...ries%20car.pdf

Also, FEM_BODY is now BDC_BODY for our F15 X5 in case anyone was confused.
      08-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Also, FEM_BODY is now BDC_BODY for our F15 X5 in case anyone was confused.
It goes to show how a little bit of knowledge (mine) is very dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
It goes to show how a little bit of knowledge (mine) is very dangerous.
Haha, it's an honest mistake, my friend. Even if anyone tried to look for it, they wouldn't find that folder in the F25 section for our F15 coding because folders like CAS, FEM_BODY, etc have been merged into BDC_BODY... I'm assuming for less clutter and confusion. You are right though...it's always best to know what we are coding and where to find it before starting. If someone accidentally Default codes instead of FDL codes a module, they can really mess up their vehicle.
Appreciate 0