09-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Interesting about your wife. My wife is 'vertically challenged' @ 5' and I did have to have running boards on my E70 SE but she has no problem getting in/out of the M Sport with no boards.
Could it be that the 20" ers make the car sit lower on the road or is it that my wife just loves my car
The overall diameter (wheel + tire) should be the same 18" vs. 19" vs. 20" (assuming we're talking about standard wheel options, or at least the BMW recommended sizes..), just more tire and less wheel on the 18's and 19's..

So, the latter, your wife just has good taste!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Merry Christmas!!!

Reviving a thread.... It's been about 2 months with my luxury-line 35d without running boards. Interestingly, there is still a lip when getting in and out that I hit my calf on. I would have to go see, but guess the running boards extend a bit more.

Either case, it is annoying getting dirt on my calf when getting in or out since it is not a flush fitting door sill. If I had known this was the case, I may have kept the running boards.

Anyone else notice this or confirm what they add on the sill?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #25
nyquistcondition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman
Merry Christmas!!!

Reviving a thread.... It's been about 2 months with my luxury-line 35d without running boards. Interestingly, there is still a lip when getting in and out that I hit my calf on. I would have to go see, but guess the running boards extend a bit more.

Either case, it is annoying getting dirt on my calf when getting in or out since it is not a flush fitting door sill. If I had known this was the case, I may have kept the running boards.

Anyone else notice this or confirm what they add on the sill?
The running boards would just make the problem worse. I just bought one without and am very very happy I didn't get them here in messy northern New England.

As for xline vs luxury, it comes down to wheel preference and whether you want painted trim along the wheel wells.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Well, I got a pair of running boards lined up for installation after the new year - primarily because (according to my late mother) I was a lazy-assed chubby kid that never got off his sorry ass for sports or exercise and now, many eons past puberty, I find myself stuck at the 5'7" mark and rapidly shrinking - because I'm still a sorry-assed chubberr-blubber. Just with less hair and more waist.

What has this gotta do with my running boards, I don't know but I'm getting them put in anyway cos they make my X5 look good
Appreciate 0