BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #67
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

To turn off the entire car, I tried pushing the button for a long time like you all said but didn't shut off the car. What am I doing wrong here?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #68
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
To turn off the entire car, I tried pushing the button for a long time like you all said but didn't shut off the car. What am I doing wrong here?
Nope, that doesn't work. I've tried that before as well. The only way to get it to turn off is:
1) hit it once, lock your car with remote or comfort access
2) hit it twice
3) code it to only hit it once so that radio and gps turn off (from what everyone says, this is a complete shut down)
      12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #69
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Ah coding.. yep not playing around with the electronics. I just hit it once and then lock the car to shut the rest off.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #70
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
I'm not addressing any of the points in particular, but because countries have different regulations or laws, sometimes they may look inconvenient. As an example the remote on/off is not allowed in Europe so you can't leave your car with on engine unattended for more than few minutes, etc.
I presume that other items come to play as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:57 AM   #71
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Thanks. I will need to ask about this because the radar detectors stay on (30 minutes?) even after two pushes of the start/stop button but also when I locked the X5 and if I just open the door while it is unlocked in the garage.
That's a different issue to mine where the engine kept running sometimes even after pressing the on/off button multiple times. If it is a 30 mins delay it sounds like it has something to do with the car going to sleep after 30 mins. Where are you powering the detector from? 12v socket or hard wired somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #72
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
That's a different issue to mine where the engine kept running sometimes even after pressing the on/off button multiple times. If it is a 30 mins delay it sounds like it has something to do with the car going to sleep after 30 mins. Where are you powering the detector from? 12v socket or hard wired somewhere else.
I have not had time to hardwire the V1 yet - had to send it off to upgrade to 3.894 - so at the moment I am using 12v sockets in the console.

Not only do the detectors stay in after pushing stop/start two times but if I go to the garage and simply open the door (when it is unlocked) or more importantly even when I lock the car at my office parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #73
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I only have 1500 miles on my F15, so I'm sure I'll get used to some of these things, but:
  • Random option in media randomizes the entire list rather than shuffling the playing of an ordered list. And, it's applied to all the playlists at once. You have to turn it off to find a specific song, and that can take a while with a long playlist.
  • The E70 had a little slot next to the ignition button that stored the key and turned everything off when it was removed (even with comfort access). I miss that. Not only was it a great place to store the key while driving, more than once I've turned the F15 off, had my foot on the brake and went to turn off the radio only to turn the car back on.
  • Compared to the E70, the headrest on the comfort seats is too far forward. It makes the top back rest adjustment useless, imho. If I put the top of the seat too far forward to support my back, the headrest pushes my head too far forward. It'd be nice to be able to move the headrest farther back without having to tilt the top of the seat back as well.
  • The traffic flow colors on the nav are difficult to read quickly. Many of the roads by me are colored red on the map, so it makes reading the flow colors difficult. The little triangles on the E70 map were so much easier to read at a glance.
  • Don't even get me started on the steering wheel control layout. I agree with everyone who has said moving the volume from the left side was a terrible decision. If you grew up driving a manual transmission, you're more likely to steer with your left hand, and having the volume control there was great. But even more so, if I have to use my right hand to turn of the volume, I might as well use the knob on the steering wheel.
  • Compared to the E70, the intermittent windshield wiper sensitivity is too low. It takes forever to come on, even on it's fastest setting, so I even up hitting the manual wipe all the time or putting it on constant.
  • Also compared to the E70, the foot rest to the left of the brake pedal seems placed differently. All I know is that my left foot is in pain after even a short drive, something I never had happen in the E70.
  • The basic instrument cluster is terrible. There are no tick markings at the 5mph marks, so it's difficult to see if you're going 55, 65, 75, etc. I don't understand that one. Even worse is the light bleed at night from the LCD at the bottom. It would be fine if the LCD wasn't an off-center rectangle.
  • I wish the trim levels were a bit more flexible. I would have liked to have picked up 19" wheels without having to get one of the other trim levels. The only one I liked the look of was the M-Sport, and I couldn't justify the cost.

Lots of things to really like about the F15, but there are quite a few annoyances and surprises that make me wonder what BMW was thinking. When I leased my E70, I thought it was just about the perfect car at the time. Maybe they raised the bar too high with the E70. Despite the good (engine, suspension, transmission) and all the advances and cool stuff, the F15 falls flat in quite a few places.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #74
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Okay, I've got two more:

1. I feel like the car is really laggy in reverse. Especially on a steep hill like the one in front of my house. The gas pedal would take a big hit before the car even moves an inch.. And as soon as it starts moving it will be in a speed much bigger than anticipated. It's particularly irritating when you are trying to park on a snowy hill backwards. None of my previous BMWs acted like that.

2. The right side of the HUD is barely seen from my sitting position. That's where the navi usually is. I've tried hight and rotation adjustments to no avail. Again, this behavior was not observed on my F10.

Although I know (2) will not be solved, I hope at least I can solve (1) with racechip or an alternative.
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #75
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
After driving it more now there are a few things bugging me, but no single thing I cant overcome. Please chime in the nagging:

-When I start the car, why cant it remember settings like: auto hold, auto wipers, auto cruise control, auto high beam. Why do I have to press several buttons every time I sit in the car?
-Why do I have to turn off the car 2 times to make radio etc, be silent?
-Why cant the high beam assistant work under 50 km/h?
-Why cant there be a separate cargo net, why do I have to keep the cover in the car to have a net in the back?
-Why does the batery power not turn off when I turn and lock the car? (So my car camera stays on for unnecessarly long)

-I also have to mention the fact that this car has auto pdf, which has actually made me extremly happy, I dont know how long I could have standed the park button pressing!
This is funny. But many of them are what I think, too...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #76
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
This is funny. But many of them are what I think, too...
-Why do I have to turn off the car 2 times to make radio etc, be silent?

Codeable (in cheat sheet).

-Why cant the high beam assistant work under 50 km/h?

Codeable (JUST FOUND IT) for all you LED folks who want their auto high beam activated sooner .

Below speeds are in HEX VALUE: 00—> 0, 08—> 8, 1F—> 31, 32—> 50, 64—> 100, FF—> 255

BDC_Body / C_HBA_ENA_V_HI / default value = 46 (43 mph) - this is the speed when the HBA enables

BDC_Body / C_HBA_ENA_V_LO / default value = 3C (37 mph)- this is the speed when HBA disables

Last edited by opasha; 02-22-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #77
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsvrub View Post
I have one thing which is also annoying me, may be somebody can tell how to disable it.
When I switch on navigation(enter address) and after reach address, keep on moving after destination reached I have arrorws(showing where is destination which I entered into navigation) on my HUD. I mean to say these are simple arrows(up, down, left, right...) not like navigation instruction before you reached destination points where you can see road, showing turns and distance till next turn.
Does somebody has same?
And may be can explain how to remove it?
P.S. Sorry if I was not clear.
I have seen exactly the same, you successfully navigate to the destination and then when you leave you get arrows on the dash indicating the direction of the last destination. Why???

To clear it I have to enter another destination and then cancel navigation which isn't very good.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #78
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Codeable (JUST FOUND IT) for all you LED folks who want their auto high beam activated sooner .
And those with adaptive bi-xenons everywhere but North America
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #79
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

I have found that during the day Like when the sun is directly overhead, the HUD compartment reflection is distracting on the windshield. That's probably my biggest annoyance so far.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #80
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
I have seen exactly the same, you successfully navigate to the destination and then when you leave you get arrows on the dash indicating the direction of the last destination. Why???

To clear it I have to enter another destination and then cancel navigation which isn't very good.
Maybe I am missing something, do you mean it should automatically stop navigating and clear it from navigation screen once you arrive at your destination?

I think it would nice if it does that if you arrive and stay at your destination exactly there for a while or shut off engine, otherwise maybe it should keep the directions in case you just drove past and still want to see where it was, or if you found the place, you are too early, you decide to roll away and see what else is in the neighborhood, and then be able to easily come back to the same spot. (Happens to me all the time, I go to a meeting somewhere, I see that I am 40 minutes early, instead of walking in like I have nothing else to do, I just keep driving and explore the neighborhood)
      02-23-2015, 02:17 AM   #81
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Warning. If you read number 1 on my list you will likely get annoyed at this design flaw which you are currently oblivious to. Do yourself a favor and skip it...ignorance is bliss, after all.

The only gripes I have so far are:

1. Blinker stalk has a seam on the bottom, right in the middle. I should not be able to feel a seam on a lux car.

2. Like many others, audio controls on right side of steering.

3. Lack of space to put cell phone. WTF is the squarish hole below idrive for??

Everything else that a few others do not like, are great IMO (ie music plays until locking car).

Last edited by Snow-Kidney; 02-23-2015 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:41 AM   #82
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Theres one thing that I really miss from my E53 and its the button on the steering wheel that allows you to instantly switch the airflow to internal circulation only. I know that there is a button on the dash that allows you to do it, i just feel like the one on the steering wheel is much more convenient.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #83
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Maybe I am missing something, do you mean it should automatically stop navigating and clear it from navigation screen once you arrive at your destination?

I think it would nice if it does that if you arrive and stay at your destination exactly there for a while or shut off engine, otherwise maybe it should keep the directions in case you just drove past and still want to see where it was, or if you found the place, you are too early, you decide to roll away and see what else is in the neighborhood, and then be able to easily come back to the same spot. (Happens to me all the time, I go to a meeting somewhere, I see that I am 40 minutes early, instead of walking in like I have nothing else to do, I just keep driving and explore the neighborhood)
Yes, exactly right. Once you get to your destination it should then stop navigating. Every sat nav I have ever used does this.

It's odd because it isn't like you drove past your destination and it is still giving you turn by turn driving directions, it just indicates the overall direction back to the last destination when you are driving away from it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #84
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

steering wheel moving when leaving the car

Each time I leave the car outside I put a wheel strip on the car. It is a good one and somewhat unique for the car. After my E70 was stolen, I took advice from a friend and got one for my E71, they tried to steal the car (right after it came back from the service and that's the only thing they could not take off, every compartment was opened). Anyways, an sure it is not perfect, but it is better than having nothing. What it sure is IT IS IMPRACTICAL! It does not help that after I close the door, the steering wheel changes position so I have to open the door (unlock) to adjust the setting again (otherwise it might damage the steering wheel). On E71 as soon as you adjust it once it would go away, here I have to play with until it sets itself. I tried ticking off the option of automatic seat adjustment (not sure what's it called), but the steering wheel keeps moving in auto mode.

I must say that this is annoying for me, but if I would not have to put the wheel strap on, I must say that it would be a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #85
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Each time I leave the car outside I put a wheel strip on the car. It is a good one and somewhat unique for the car. After my E70 was stolen, I took advice from a friend and got one for my E71, they tried to steal the car (right after it came back from the service and that's the only thing they could not take off, every compartment was opened). Anyways, an sure it is not perfect, but it is better than having nothing. What it sure is IT IS IMPRACTICAL! It does not help that after I close the door, the steering wheel changes position so I have to open the door (unlock) to adjust the setting again (otherwise it might damage the steering wheel). On E71 as soon as you adjust it once it would go away, here I have to play with until it sets itself. I tried ticking off the option of automatic seat adjustment (not sure what's it called), but the steering wheel keeps moving in auto mode.

I must say that this is annoying for me, but if I would not have to put the wheel strap on, I must say that it would be a nice touch.

What kind of lock are you using?
Also, steering moves only after you completely turn off the vehicle, so just hit the start/stop button twice with your foot off brake pedal, and the steering wheel will move into it's normal position, then you can lock it.
      02-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #86
cit1991
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

I've had mine for a couple months now, and can mention a few I've found. Apologies if any of these are elsewhere in this thread.

Music needs a "back" option, to go back a directory level, kinda like "cd.." in the old dos days. I have music in directories, and if I decide to change directory, i have to start all over again at the very top, via the search function. Top of each directory should be 'back', or even better, knob left.

The rain sensor logic is awful. There's some kind of delay in there. I know it's the logic, because the autowipers in my Audi work great. Sometimes I'm at a light, the setting one notch below full-sensitivity, and the windshield is completely covered with rain. Days where the rain comes and goes, completely befuddle it.

Dipstick. Yes I know it adds $1 to the cost of each vehicle. I prefer to have one. At least they put in a way to check level via the computer.

M-sport steering wheel controls are awful. They clearly chose form over function. Same for the leather on there. Its really slippery...just what you want on a steering wheel.

Sunglass compartment sucks. It's small, glasses sometimes jam on the release button, and there's no felt in there. Basically Kia quality. Probably a last minute design for the US market or something.

The throttle is way too sensitive. They could engineer any feel they want, since it all goes through the computer. Marketing probably told them that people associate touchy with lots of power. But they overdid it. It's impossible to go slowly over a small bump, like a curb or the lip of a garage without lurching. Eco mode is better, but then you get all the other eco crap.

Dehumidifier. This time of year, I don't run the AC. The AC button is off. However if it's a little humid, the compressor will come on. So I'm driving along, comfortable, nice 68 dergee fresh air coming in, and all of a sudden, the temp drops to like 45. For a minute, then goes back. Everyone shivers, and I can't do anything about it. I live in Houston. It's always humid. So the AC is in there, lurking all the time, ready to pounce and freeze me without notice.

The steering is a little overboosted at slow speeds too, which I guess might be good, with the steering wheel coated in teflon-tanned leather.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #87
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I find the new M Sport steering wheel an improvement over the old one. Not as thick and the change from left to right with controls easy to work with.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #88
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssmokie View Post
Theres one thing that I really miss from my E53 and its the button on the steering wheel that allows you to instantly switch the airflow to internal circulation only. I know that there is a button on the dash that allows you to do it, i just feel like the one on the steering wheel is much more convenient.

+1