BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Annoying things in the X5

After driving it more now there are a few things bugging me, but no single thing I cant overcome. Please chime in the nagging:

-When I start the car, why cant it remember settings like: auto hold, auto wipers, auto cruise control, auto high beam. Why do I have to press several buttons every time I sit in the car?
-Why do I have to turn off the car 2 times to make radio etc, be silent?
-Why cant the high beam assistant work under 50 km/h?
-Why cant there be a separate cargo net, why do I have to keep the cover in the car to have a net in the back?
-Why does the batery power not turn off when I turn and lock the car? (So my car camera stays on for unnecessarly long)

-I also have to mention the fact that this car has auto pdf, which has actually made me extremly happy, I dont know how long I could have standed the park button pressing!
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
After driving it more now there are a few things bugging me, but no single thing I cant overcome. Please chime in the nagging:

-When I start the car, why cant it remember settings like: auto hold, auto wipers, auto cruise control, auto high beam. Why do I have to press several buttons every time I sit in the car?
-Why cant the high beam assistant work under 50 km/h?
-Why cant there be a separate cargo net, why do I have to keep the cover in the car to have a net in the back?
-Why does the batery power not turn off when I turn and lock the car? (So my car camera stays on for unnecessarly long)

-I also have to mention the fact that this car has auto pdf, which has actually made me extremly happy, I dont know how long I could have standed the park button pressing!
I think you mean auto pdc .

With you on the remembering settings thing, had it in previous vehicle and it's just one less thing to think about every time you get in.
I coded the option to turn off the radio when you open the drivers door which sorts that issue for me.
And I believe that HBA can be coded for activation at lower speed, there's another thread on here that I just lifted the codes from to have a look at.

Now my turn, one thing I would love would be a couple of tweaks to the NBT head unit software, adding a 'via' option to the sat nav, or make the route magnet function properly functional.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Agreed.

At least the 2014 model doesn't require the ridiculous need to pull twice on the door handle to open the locked door - from the inside.
      09-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post

At least the 2014 model doesn't require the ridiculous need to pull twice on the door handle to open the locked door - from the inside.
That's AMAZING!
I am sold for that alone. How many times I had people pull the handle once and then look around for the unlock button and can't find it, "where is it.. WHERE IS IT" or just look at me with super weird "can you let me out please" looks..
Finally that's gone.. LOL

Oh, as for Press Twice to Shut Everything Off problem? Come on guys, just press and hold for 1 second, it will shut off with single press.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn View Post
Oh, as for Press Twice to Shut Everything Off problem? Come on guys, just press and hold for 1 second, it will shut off with single press.
I think you'll find that there are times when the car doesn't shut off at all unless you press the button multiple times, up to 4 presses in my case.

Seems to be a software issue as the start is never a problem, just waiting for an update from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Nkbm82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i

I just hit the button once to turn off the engine then hit the lock on the key fob as I'm walking away and that turns it off. It's never annoyed me.

The turn signals, however, are BEYOND annoying because they never turn off like every other car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

I'd say the most annoying (i.e. not defects, but working as intended) things in F15 for me are:
1) The design of music controls on the steering wheel. I really prefer when the "scroll" wheel is used for volume alteration and buttons to skip to next/prev track. I have no idea who in BMW decided it's cool to do otherwise...
2) The fact that I can't skip a long track or video to a specific moment (i.e. enter time I want to rewind to). Mashing that rewind button for a minute is NOT fun.
3) More of a light off-roading issue: I wish you could drive with your door open - even with 360-view sometimes you just need to see WTF is underneath those wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
I'd say the most annoying (i.e. not defects, but working as intended) things in F15 for me are:
1) The design of music controls on the steering wheel. I really prefer when the "scroll" wheel is used for volume alteration and buttons to skip to next/prev track. I have no idea who in BMW decided it's cool to do otherwise.......
Do you have HUD?
  • With HUD the scroll works well because as you roll it and see what station, song, track is next on the list on the windshield glass. And, you can not just skip one forward or backward, but go somewhere else entirely.
  • The roll does the same with phone calls. You can roll to recent calls once you hit the TEL button on iDrive controller.

I would have preferred two scroll controls, with different textures, or a spring tension up/down switch for volume. But I won't complain about the scroll for what it achieves with skipping or phone calls
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

A few

A few personal things...

1. Having Keyless - must be very careful when washing the car. Car keeps locking/unlocking/mirrors folding in/out numerous times during a wash - either by passing the handle with the sponge - or the water spray directly.
My Volvo had (maybe not anymore on newer Volvo's either) a - small rubber button that had to be pressed to lock the doors - and you had to pull the handle when unlocking. But both systems works well.

2. Inner-diameter of steering wheel a bit small - or position relative to sitting position and/or instrument cluster not optimal. The view thought the steering wheel actually blocks either upper side of instrument cluster (like top of km/h) or bottom (data/info window). This is typical on some Ford's I have driven, and this is a major let-down for me.

3. Rear mirror often blocks front/side view due it is in exactly my eye height.

4. (Mentioned in this forum before) - I cannot trust the PDC front sensors in Auto mode. No sound until about 15cm away from object only.

5. Having to press the auto SS button to de-activate it after each start. (A personal preference). Should REALLY be a setting in a menu.

6. (Seems everyone wants to drive past me. Because it's a X5?? Anyway, not sure if this count here )

- The car is still a pleasure to drive :-)

Just started thinking slowly about buying another one.
With everything we have today (a perfect start) ++ all the things we now know we would have been even more happy to have. Ohhh.

Thanks
Bent
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

My annoyances:

1) Why won't the a/c stay off the next time I start the car? (I know this can be coded, but it should be standard).

2) Hate the fact that there isn't a fast forward/rewind button on the steering wheel. This is absolutely different than using the HUD scroll wheel. If you choose to play songs randomly, the ff/rewind button near the radio preset buttons will go on to the next song randomly, rather than playing your playlist sequentially. But the HUD scroll wheel function shows all songs in the same album as the current song you're playing. So to play a song NOT by that artist or in that album, you have to do a lot of scrolling. Annoying feature. If you choose to play your music randomly, then the HUD scroll wheel function should display the playlist in a random order.

3) There is no reason the phone adapter in the center console should be standard. Get that thing tf out of there. Horrible.

Other than that, no real complaints. Love how the car drives, love how it looks. I wish they'd include the leather dashboard as standard. Would make the interior feel even more premium. Stupid that you have to add it as an option for a car of this price.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
2) Hate the fact that there isn't a fast forward/rewind button on the steering wheel. This is absolutely different than using the HUD scroll wheel. If you choose to play songs randomly, the ff/rewind button near the radio preset buttons will go on to the next song randomly, rather than playing your playlist sequentially. But the HUD scroll wheel function shows all songs in the same album as the current song you're playing. So to play a song NOT by that artist or in that album, you have to do a lot of scrolling. Annoying feature. If you choose to play your music randomly, then the HUD scroll wheel function should display the playlist in a random order.
Mine does this. If I set the list to random, then my scroll wheel pulls up the list by random. Not sure if we have different settings, but thought I'd mention.

Quote:
3) There is no reason the phone adapter in the center console should be standard. Get that thing tf out of there. Horrible.
It's now optional in the 2015 model. Comes with the enhanced bluetooth option.
      09-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

a personal preference of mine would be the ability to control audio volume via the idrive controller. i typically drive with one hand on the steering wheel & the other on the controller to flip through radio stations, media, phone calls, etc.

it would be nice if the touchpad could be used to adjust volume without reaching for the head unit knob or steering wheel button. for example, in any audio-producing mode, a clockwise motion of the finger around the circumference of the touchpad could increase volume & vice versa. this would be an easy task to accomplish without taking ones eyes off the road as i often find myself looking away from the road to find the volume button.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
a personal preference of mine would be the ability to control audio volume via the idrive controller. i typically drive with one hand on the steering wheel & the other on the controller to flip through radio stations, media, phone calls, etc.

it would be nice if the touchpad could be used to adjust volume without reaching for the head unit knob or steering wheel button. for example, in any audio-producing mode, a clockwise motion of the finger around the circumference of the touchpad could increase volume & vice versa. this would be an easy task to accomplish without taking ones eyes off the road as i often find myself looking away from the road to find the volume button.
Wait.. They moved the volume controller to right side of the steering wheel? Why would they do that!?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horn
Quote:

Wait.. They moved the volume controller to right side of the steering wheel? Why would they do that!?
yes & i agree it was better on the left side, which was especially convenient in mt vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes & i agree it was better on the left side, which was especially convenient in mt vehicles.
It looks like both controllers (next/prev) and volume up/down is on right side, if anything those should be on left because that way you can reach them while resting right arm on the armrest. The armrest was a little awkward on E70, i couldn't really drive resting my arm there, so I always drove with left hand on steer.

Did you guys find the F15 blinker relay unreasonably loud, like a cheap truck? On E70 it was whisper quiet, I like that they moved the indicators on dash to center because steering wheel always blocked the view, but why is it louder now? At least it was on my test drive. Click/Clack/Click/Clack..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #16
mrwilby
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7, X5

I agree, the indicators are a lot louder now. The 'feel' of the indicators is also not as nice as e70.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
AG64
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

A couple if minor annoyances for me.

1. Why is the grab handle on the driver side is so far forward. It does not feel naturally when i exit (and especially) when i get into the seat. Have to stretch the arm to 'grab' it. And no i do not have short arms

2. Power steering wheel does not tilt down enough, on my previous E70 it was perfect for the driving position. On F15 it feels a bit too high
      09-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
ljxrayman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M Sport Mineral White

Anyone find the passenger side power window button is very hard to reach? My wife always had to stretch her arm to reach that stupid button!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Add

I forgot, and should really add:

When sitting in the car waiting for i.e. the wify shopping, it "natural" to listen to some music or watch a movie.
Then, after a few minutes - the message appears:
The system will shut down shortly...press the on/off button to...
I do not remember the text exactly...but you get the point.

Now, wouldn't it be fair to say that IF you the pressed the radio power on/off button immediately - you could "extend" the time before the system would shut down?
But NO, it want to shut down anyway - its unavoidable - and you really need to accept that annoying break in your movie/music.
A small annoyance, yes, but it would also be SOO easy for BMW to fix this I believe.

Bent
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

I am super annoyed that the volume control is on the right side of the steering especially since my right arm spends 99% of the time on the armrest and if I have to move it to change volume then I might as well reach for the volume control rather than the steering....plus I keep thinking it is on the left as it is in most cars I think
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #21
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

As already mentioned, it has to be the radio not shutting up when you press the stop button, or at the least when you open the door to exit. Whoever thought it a good idea to stay on till locked should be shot!

Also not remembering the last mode selected, I want Sports suspension and steering as default, not comfort every time.

Frustrating thing is I have read that these can be fixed in no time if you know what you are doing coding wise, why there isn't just the options in idrive to tick I really don't understand. There should be more configuration menus open in idrive for owners to play about with/customise.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #22
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljx*****n
Anyone find the passenger side power window button is very hard to reach? My wife always had to stretch her arm to reach that stupid button!!
Absolutely. Horrible placement of the control.
Appreciate 0