BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
classicenergy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35i

Arrow What is this part?

Does anyone know what this metal piece is called and it's purpose?

I had noticed some kind of chirping, high pitch jingling sounds after getting the car repaired from getting T-Boned left rear side wheel. Whole door, frame, wheel, and tires had to get replaced.

They brought it over to BMW dealer service shop and they couldn't find the noise after the first test. Charged $480 in diagnostic and not finding any results even after I showed them the video of the noise.

Had it re-diagnosed a 2nd time and they still couldn't find anything. Luckily the Bodyshop that brought my vehicle there paid for the diagnosis. After a third time, they heard the noise on a road test and told me it was coming from the FRONT DASH. and that an open diagnostic fee had to be done at an hourly rate of $180 per hour. It could take up to 10 hours or more to determine where the noise was coming from and I had to pay for it.

Hell no, I'm not going to pay $1800 just for diagnostic and not even knowing if it would fix the noise issue.

So I brought the vehicle over to my friend's shop who I've known for 20-plus years. We did a check, had the car up on the hoist started jiggling and moving things around and hammering with our fists and than we heard the exact same sound as in the cabin. Located the culprit. It was a metal piece scraping the transmission when it went over the bumps.

Had I gone with the open diagnostics with the shitheads at BMW I would've been down a lot of money.

Also, the noise wasn't there before until the vehicle went in for the first repair of the chasis stabalization light, tire malfunction and steering pulling to the right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

its a metal piece of bracket that goes above ur transfer case to hold up the insulation material. As shown in your picture, yours is too far back and it should also be attached to the black plastic nut.

Heres a picture of how mine looks like

11-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #3
classicenergy
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
its a metal piece of bracket that goes above ur transfer case to hold up the insulation material. As shown in your picture, yours is too far back and it should also be attached to the black plastic nut.

Heres a picture of how mine looks like

Thanks for the response TOPEC, and taking the time to share the pic. Appreciated.

What year and model is your vehicle? And where should it be attached to ?
Appreciate 0