BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Rear Reading Light Behavior

I am struggling a little with the rear reading lights in the car. In the mornings (dark outside), I am trying to load my daughter into her car seat, turn on her reading light, and close the door.

The issue is, when I close the door, the car turns off her reading light. My workaround, which is not elegant, is to roll down her window, close the door, reach in, turn the reading light on, and then roll the window back up. But, even then, if during the trip I turn on all the interior dome/reading lights, when I turn them off in the front, it cancels the reading light light function of her light and the cabin goes all black again.

I get the whole thing is integrated, but I wish we had plain old manually-controllable reading lights. Am I missing some trick to get the rear lights to function manually? I cannot find any ideas or tips. The manual says you can press and hold the main overhead light button for 3 seconds to cancel some operations, but I haven't played or tested that yet.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0