BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
scooby007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BmW X5 M-Sport 35i

Garage List
Front parking sensor malfunctioning?

can someone tell me if my sensor is malfunctioning?
I am going to try and set a appointment with the dealer and see if they can replace it.
Its been driving me insane, every time I stop at a light and the sensor is saying I'm hitting the car in-front of me or imaginary wall.
Just want to see if anyone else experience this prob.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Mine only comes on in traffic if I creep up really close to someone or someone gets really close to my rear bumper. Yours seems overly sensitive...
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
aracka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 X50i

i have this same issue, i have an oil change appt on the 12th - i am going to ask them to fix under warranty
      05-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Make sure it's clean.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It's caused by the exhaust pipe of the car in front.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
scooby007
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Its not from the exhaust pipe from cars in front.
I cleaned the sensor so much, I think the paint flaking off a bit (I wipe it down very lightly with a paper towel).
I will set off if I'm the only car stopped at the crosswalk at the light.
I already setup a appointment with my dealer to have them take a look, will report back if this is covered under warranty or pony out $200bucks for the sensor. fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

While you are there, please point out there is no way to turn warning beeps off, or lower the volume enough, when it acts up!

Last winter, I was stuck in traffic, accident ahead, traffic diverted off the freeway, and snow coming down covering the sensors.
The warning beeps kept going on and off for an hr while in very slow moving traffic. Drove us nuts!!! I was about ready to take my trusted Swiss army knife and do surgery on the front bumper, when I finally could see the exit ahead of us.

I called and asked the service rep at my dealership about it, and found out it is a common complaint, that the sound can't be turned off etc..

IMO; The more people bringing up the issue, that the sound can't be turned off or at least turned down more, the better.
Maybe BMW will do the right thing and come up with a fix...

Thnx!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
scooby007
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Minor update after the dealership,

According to the Bmw Tech at the dealer, they found no malfunction to the parking sensor.
They are assuming the bumpshox (license plate bump guard - living in NYC sucks with bad drivers) is sticking out far enough to block the sensor.

Their recommendation is to remove it after they claim to have taken the sensor off tested and found no fault.

Already removed the bumpshox off the front plate, going to drive it around and hope it doesn't go off or I will be going back for round 2.

1norseman, my apologies as I wasn't able to talk to my SA when I arrived late to my appointment. I will shoot an email to them about the issue the sensor going off and can't be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
While you are there, please point out there is no way to turn warning beeps off, or lower the volume enough, when it acts up!

Last winter, I was stuck in traffic, accident ahead, traffic diverted off the freeway, and snow coming down covering the sensors.
The warning beeps kept going on and off for an hr while in very slow moving traffic. Drove us nuts!!! I was about ready to take my trusted Swiss army knife and do surgery on the front bumper, when I finally could see the exit ahead of us.

I called and asked the service rep at my dealership about it, and found out it is a common complaint, that the sound can't be turned off etc..

IMO; The more people bringing up the issue, that the sound can't be turned off or at least turned down more, the better.
Maybe BMW will do the right thing and come up with a fix...

Thnx!
Can you not turn turn the sound off by pressing the parking sensor button? That’s what I’ve always done when it’s going off in a drive-thru and it seemed to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
aracka
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 X50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby007 View Post

According to the Bmw Tech at the dealer, they found no malfunction to the parking sensor.
They are assuming the bumpshox (license plate bump guard - living in NYC sucks with bad drivers) is sticking out far enough to block the sensor.

Their recommendation is to remove it after they claim to have taken the sensor off tested and found no fault.

Already removed the bumpshox off the front plate, going to drive it around and hope it doesn't go off or I will be going back for round 2.

1norseman, my apologies as I wasn't able to talk to my SA when I arrived late to my appointment. I will shoot an email to them about the issue the sensor going off and can't be turned off.

hmmm sounds like BS to me. I have a bumpshox XL and it hasn't interfered at all... but my faulty sensor is closer to the driver side fender rather than in the front of the bumper
      09-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
NYCBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive35i 2018

Quote:

Quote:

My 2018 X5 started doing the same thing, s
so I noticed that the rubber grommet surrounding the offending front sensor is raised compared to the other three. It's just 1 or 2 mm but I believe it is enough to cause a sonar echo. I scheduled a service appointment. Is this covered by factory warranty or does BMW consider this a maintenance item?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Make sure it's clean.
That’s what I suspect too. Dirt (even heavy rain, or snow) can cause malfunctioning of these sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #13
NYCBimmer
Rep

Front PDC parking sensor sonar echo caused by grommet?

Problem
My F15 started to give me obstacle alerts from the Front Left PDC parking sensor when stopped at a light or just taking off.

Analysis
Having cleaned any dust or debris off the sonars, I noticed that the grommet surrounding the offending sensor is raised about 1/16" or 1mm compared to the other sensors where the grommet is almost flush.

Questions
- Has anyone had this grommet issue and confirmed that it is was causing the phantom sonar echo?
- Would this be covered by factory warranty or is it considered a maintenance item?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
scooby007
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How often is your front left PDC sensor going off during stop light and during take off?
I noticed that if I'm behind a bus or truck sometime, when that vehicle takes off, it will set off my PDC (front all sensors).
Sometime if I'm squeezing thru a double parked car and its a very tight fit, it will also set it off.
As long as you have warranty, I believe they will fix/replace the sensor under warranty (if they deem the sensor is faulty without any visible damage).
After I took off the bumpshox front license plate I never had the sensor going off anymore. But also I gained a lot of random idiots on the street backing into the plate and sometime front bumper. Can't win
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #15
NYCBimmer
Rep

Quote:
How often is your front left PDC sensor going off during stop light and during take off?
I noticed that if I'm behind a bus or truck sometime, when that vehicle takes off, it will set off my PDC (front all sensors).
Sometime if I'm squeezing thru a double parked car and its a very tight fit, it will also set it off.
As long as you have warranty, I believe they will fix/replace the sensor under warranty (if they deem the sensor is faulty without any visible damage).
After I took off the bumpshox front license plate I never had the sensor going off anymore. But also I gained a lot of random idiots on the street backing into the plate and sometime front bumper. Can't win
It happens randomly, but always at low speed, when parallel parking, or stopped in traffic.
Last week in DC, it went off on every traffic light and stop sign. Annoying.

I too have bumpshox license plate holder but the issue is only with second one from driver's side. I scheduled appointment w/dealer Oct 5 .. will post an update.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #16
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Any updates here? Same problem, one from rears. Time to time. One backing up is ok, another one with this false signal...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #17
l_bomb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5/2003 SVT Cobra

High pressure Car washes would make my left front corner sensor freak out a bit. It would not work, then after about 4 or 5 hours, it would start working again. Hasn't happened to me in a while, but it seems that these are pretty sensitive. Good luck, im gonna knock on wood for mine.
Appreciate 0