BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #45
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Valid concern. Still not sure why they would implement doors like this, seems like a giant hassle.

That being said, I have young children also and they are unpredictable at best. Mix in daily life and the rush of getting everyone in the vehicle and off to school, birthdays, brunch, etc., and one stressful morning can turn into someone getting hurt.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #46
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I work in a field where safety is #1. A lapse in judgement could be fatal as a large piece of machinery could end up crushing you.
It is impossible to prevent accidents , but they can be minimized by removing risks.
You don't plan on being in a car accident anytime soon, yet still will look for a vehicle with a good crash safety rating
You put helmets in the kids when they ride their bike
You don't let them go out in the middle of the street
Those are examples of risk mitigation
Why not remove the potential for finger injury with the model X if you are unsure of accidentally pushing buttons will lead to a potential failure and crush a little kids finger
I would
It's not going to chop off your finger.
At worst, it may leave a bit of a scuff
Calling it a risk is a bit exaggerated
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #47
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I am posting here because the Tesla forums are highly biased.

We have had a Model X for about a month now, and we have had some pretty close calls with the falcon wing doors almost hitting the kids. At this point I get worried every time I put the kids in and out of the car.

I decided to browse through YouTube to see if others are worried, and saw a few videos testing the door sensors with vegetables or sticks. A lot of the times the doors did not stop and just crushed the object. I am really not sure these doors are going to stop quick enough if one of my younger kids are in the way, especially not if their fingers are in the wrong place.

My gut is telling me I should get rid of the car because of this, but I am not sure if I am overreacting or not. Maybe we get used to it, but since this is mostly my wife's car, and the kids are going to be in it daily, I am not sure it is worth the risk.
Myself and others have been hit a number of times by the falcon wing doors of the Model X we had before. None of us were hurt, though the contact force does vary depending on where the body impacts the door. The most sensitive area of the door is the lower edge, which is the location of the sensor. A gentle touch of that edge will stop the door immediately. Even when the interior panel of the door hit first, it still didn't hurt. I have gotten hit a couple of times by its trunk, and that does hurt a bit.

By the way, we did end up lemoning our Model X due to falcon wing door reliability issues. We didn't really have concern about getting hit though...
Appreciate 0